“Just okay” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #105 of 583 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Bar, Coffee Shop, Contemporary, Vegan
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Tempo Food + Drink is a contemporary, urban open kitchen eatery situated street side on the busiest corner in Halifax. Tempo offers locally inspired comfort food with a twist morning, noon, and night. The convenient Grab + Go section takes the guess work out of your brown bag lunch decisions and fills the morning emptiness with its made from scratch all natural products! Something fun, funky and fresh for everyone. Great wines by the glass and inspired cocktails are dished up by schooled mixologists in a hip and trendy lounge, making it a great place to end your day or start your night.
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
“Just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Our server was attentive, but the food took almost 40 minutes from the time we ordered, which considering my table was on a lunch break and the restaurant is near several office buildings, was too slow. It was busy but not packed. They were serving the brunch menu instead of the lunch menu (our server explained it was because it was the Christmas holidays), and I ordered the waffle benedict, which came with 2 soft eggs cooked just the way I ordered, smoked ham and 2 very generic waffles (they kind of tasted like Eggos); the saving grace was the home fries which were spiced nicely and crispy. It was a generic decent eggs benedict. My friend ordered the lentil burger with side salad which she said was good.

The restaurant was a bit awkward, for example, I ordered water which was served in a glass that was too small (server had to keep coming back to refill it), and came with an awkward tall straw which was too skinny and tall to be of any use. The banquet seating on 1 side of each table is too low, so I had to awkwardly lean on the table to eat. And the lights above our table kept flickering randomly on and off so sometimes we were in the dark. I agree with other reviewers that it feels a bit like a cafeteria, and we avoided sitting near the windows because of all the foot traffic; when I walk past the restaurant I always feel like a busybody when I notice people inside that I know.

After tax/tip, my meal only came to $18 which I think was not too bad for the amount of food, as I was quite full after. I would go back, but only if someone else suggested it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
HarbourCityGrill, Manager at Tempo Food + Drink, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Thank you for your comments as we appreciate all input.
Obviously, a lunch experience that takes that long is unacceptable service to us or anyone in the hospitality industry.
It is nice to hear that there were a couple of things you enjoyed.
In the future, when you decide to revisit us please do not hesitate to contact me as we, at Tempo, would like to improve upon your experience.
Thanks
Manager
Tempo

Bedford, Canada
“May try again but not soon”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Myself and my GF were attending a Christmas Party downtown when a friend text us to join them for a beer. I have been wanting to try Tempo eversince the Delta sank some money into it. I know some like this sort of decor but it looked like a fancy cafeteria to me. No privacy at the tables as they are laid out like a place to have Breakfast or Lunch. I would never comer here for Dinner. I just think they tried too hard on the Decor and missed the boat. Come on people, put some flooring down. I have attached a picture of the Christmas Tree in the corner of the Delta Lobby near the opening of the restaurant. Must have been the same designer. Give me a break.
Anyway, we went for a beer. We went to the table where our friends were and started chatting. after 10 minutes I realized the staff didn't come by. One of my friends told me that they won't come by. There were 3 servers hanging off the bar and not one was on the floor. So I went to the bar and said, "Can I get a server down here?" and I went back to my seat. 10 more minutes and nothing. So I went to the bar and got my own beer. I did not leave a tip. Anyway, the service was non-existant.
I expected more....nice investment Delta.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
HarbourCityGrill, Manager at Tempo Food + Drink, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Terribly sorry that you had an experience like the one you described.
We, at Tempo , are certainly not setting out to create this kind of atmosphere for anyone.
It would be very helpful for me if you could provide the approximate time of day you were there.
I certainly hope you do revisit us and if you do please do not hesitate to contact me beforehand so we could atone for this most unpleasant experience of yours.

Manager Tempo
peter.baylis@tempofooddrink.com
902 402 7470
Tampa, Florida
“Great New Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Stopped in this last Wednesday with a buddy and we had a great dinner, we tried a few different items and some old standards, everything was great and the Chef even came out to see how our meal was. Awesome meal, can't wait to go back!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
HarbourCityGrill, Manager at Tempo Food + Drink, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Thank you for the kind words. We are glad you enjoyed yourself .
Can't wait for your re-visit!!
Manager Tempo
Coldbrook NS
“Just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I ate at Tempo for an early dinner. We arrived sort of in between brunch ending and dinner beginning. The staff was very accommodating in allowing us to basically order from whatever menu we wanted given that we had decided to go there based on what we had seen on a local tv show. The fried bread dough was not at all what I was expecting. I was thinking it would be more like a touton a traditional Newfoundland favourite. Instead it was just a run of the mill pizza. We also had the chicken sticks which were "just" cooked. They were ok. I had the Greens salad and really enjoyed it. My husband had the the clams which he couldn't even eat. Which is not typical. They were over done and tasted like they were cooked in old oil. Lindsey, our waitress was very quick to offer a new order, a dessert or simply remove it from the bill. Overall, we'd go back for the service and perhaps try the brunch....but it won't be first on our list. Not the best.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
HarbourCityGrill, Manager at Tempo Food + Drink, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Hello from Tempo Food + Drink,

Thanks very much for taking the time to share feedback with us. I am very sorry for the shortfall with your recent experience. Not what you would have expected nor what we strive to deliver. I would like to make this up to you. Please contact me at your convenience.

We look forward to having you back again.

Best,

peter.baylis@tempofooddrink.com
Halifax
“Fantastic brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I love trying new restaurants and we keen to check this place out. Loved the open concept and decor, very modern and really cool for Halifax to have a place like this finally. We each had brunch dish and were really impressed with the local meat from Oultons and Highland Drive. We thought the service was great and they weren't crazy busy when we went in but our server was very attentive and they were flexible in providing option ie. side salad instead of the roast potatoes that came with my dish. I like the open kitchen concept. you can see what's going on in the kitchen which is nice. The coffee was excellent and the wine lists looks really good too so we will definately be back soon for dinner

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your wonderful comments. We can't wait to have you back.
Cheers!!