“Business and pleasure” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites

You added The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1515 South Park Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2L2, Canada (Downtown Halifax)   |
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Halifax
Ottawa, Canada
“Business and pleasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I stayed four nights in June. I attended a conference on site and added a couple of days for sightseeing. The location in Halifax is excellent for walking, shopping, visiting the waterfront, etc. The hotel is so clean it gleams. Lots of staff were on site each day and they were all pleasant and courteous. The special events I attended were well done and the food was good.
My room was very clean and comfortable. I was on a higher floor, so noise from street level did not bother me.
I had only two minor complaints. Some of the incidental furniture in my room was worn out. If the dresser, etc., were replaced, it would improve the first impression of the room. The bed was fine. The bathroom was new and spotlessly clean.
My second complaint was with the hotel pub. I only went in once, for breakfast, but they were short-staffed for some reason and I ended up leaving before being served because I was on a schedule. They should ensure they have adequate staff in the pub at all hours when they are hosting large conferences.
I would definitely return to the Lord Nelson and would recommend it to other travellers. It is a unique property in an excellent location.

Room Tip: The nicest views would be the garden view rooms. The higher up rooms are likely quietest.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband and I chose this hotel for location and price, and the convenience to central Halifax. Clean, well appointed rooms, within walking distance of many restaurants and bars. Free wi-fi in all rooms, and a nice desk to accomodate the laptop. Accross the street is the beautiful Public Gardens, well worth look. I highly reccomend this to all business travellers as well, as it is perfectly located. Dalhouise University is right down the street, and a lovely walk as well

Room Tip: The 9th floor has a nice view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Michelle I, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you WindsNWaters for choosing The Lord Nelson Hotel and Suites and posting your high recommendation on TripAdvisor. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and all of the attractions Halifax has to offer around the hotel! We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the city!

montreal, qc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The hotel is located just about as centrally as one could ask for in Halifax, right between the downtown core and Dalhousie University. It is also right across the street from the Halifax public gardens, which is a beautiful place to go for a stroll. Staff were very friendly and always willing to help. When I first checked in, my reservation could not be found, but the team at the front desk quickly located it and got me to my room promptly. I attended a conference here and found the rooms for the conference very nice: clean and well set up. Unfortunately, the wifi was flaky in the conference rooms, but the internet access in the guest rooms worked very well.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you drbMontreal for choosing The Lord Nelson Hotel and Suites and posting your review on TA! We are glad you enjoyed your conference and stay with us while in Halifax! We hope to welcome you back to the hotel on your next business or leisure trip!

Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed here while attending an on-site conference. We arrived early to seen fire trucks and police cars on Spring Garden Road near the hotel. Thankfully the problem was only a quickly-contained small fire (mostly smoke) in a nearby store. Check-in was smooth and we stowed our bags with the concierge then walked down a couple of kilometres (1.2 miles) to the harbour boardwalk near Bishop’s Landing heritage properties and shops. Our room #938 was at the rear with a ‘view’ of the adjacent highrise and parking garage (rooms with a view of the Halifax Public Gardens across South Park Street and the Citadel are at the front of the hotel). When the small sliding glass section at the base of the window was opened for a little fresh air, noise from the air conditioning machinery was loud. The room was modern, clean with a décor in shades of brown and beige with white linens and towels. Previous occupants must have been rowdy because the closet door had a dent and hole caused by being banged with the metal handle on the door to the room. We had tasty fish and chips and beers at the Victory Arms pub off one end of the lobby. Service was prompt and cheery but the interior of the pub is dark and we had to order a small side of coleslaw since this was not included with the meal. Conference coffee and lunch breaks had fresh pastries, sandwiches, salads and juices with the highlight being exceptionally warm and gooey monster cinnamon rolls. Delish! Conference break-out rooms were quickly refreshed with ice water, hard candies, pens and pads by hotel staff after each session. The hotel is attached through the underground parking garage to a shopping mall and other stores on Spring Garden Road. Would stay here again although there are other hotels closer to the waterfront and historic properties.

Room Tip: Front rooms overlook the Halifax Public Gardens and Citadel. Rear rooms look into nearby highrises a...
Dear xygb7dklt,
Thank you for choosing The Lord Nelson Hotel and Suites while visiting Halifax! We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us! We appreciate your feedback on TripAdvisor and enjoyed reading about your experience! We hope to welcome you back to the Hotel on your next visit to Halifax!

Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Spent 3 days and nights at the hotel for a conference. Room on the top floor was very quiet and comfortable. The breakfasts and lunches catered to the meetings were very good and service attentive. Before every meal the waiting staff asked if anyone at the table had any food allergies. A few of us popped into the hotel pub one evening for a beer at the bar and this also was enjoyable with fast and friendly service.

Location is great. Right across from the botanical gardens, near many good restaurants and in walking distnce of the downtown sites.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Michelle I, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Gord B,
Thank you for posting your conference experience with The Lord Nelson Hotel and Suites on TripAdvisor! We are glad to hear you enjoyed our Conference facilities as well as the food that was served. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Halifax.

Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

The Lord Nelson is a standout in Halifax. Great location within walking distance of everything downtown and directly across from the public gardens. We opted for one of the "executive" rooms and were very pleased with the decor and amenities. My only regret is that the hotel room did not have a shoe horn. Regardless, I'd stay hear again in a minute.

Room Tip: Pay a touch more for an executive room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you davey600 for sharing your experience at the Lord Nelson Hotel and Suites on TA! Our Executive rooms are always a nice choice, we are glad you enjoyed our upgraded amenities. We hope to see you again soon on your next trip to Halifax!

Yours in hospitality,
Cobourg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Beautiful rooms; large spacious, lots of storage space, small kitchenette, but OMG, the bathroom was so small you had to exit to turnaround. You could wash your feet in the tub; wash your hands in the sink; and do your business on the toilet all at the same time. How convenient. The room was about 22x 17; why not make that bathroom big enough for one. Loved everything else about the place. The complimentary breakfast was one of the best I have seen in a long time. Nothing hot but that was fine for me. One other thing, do not take a $200 a night room next to three elevators and vending machines/ice machine. Yes, I would go back, but would be more specific on the room that I wanted. The view of the Halifax Public Gardens was spectacular - rhododendron season.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you CobourgGuy for posting your experience with us on TA! We do apologize that you were unhappy with the size of your guestroom bathroom. Our Team here at the Lord Nelson Hotel and Suites will happily assist you in booking your next reservation and ensure you receive a guest room with a larger bathroom. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Halifax.

Michelle I

Been to The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!