“First AND Last Stay here..” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites

You added The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1515 South Park Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2L2, Canada (Downtown Halifax)   |
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Halifax
Moncton, Canada
“First AND Last Stay here..”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Have travelled to Halifax many times - but never stayed at the Lord Nelson (have always wanted to though) so thought we'd give it a chance. Check-in went well - arrived in our room and saw 2 double beds (had requested a King) - I then paid for an upgrade to a King. The room was ok (remote didn't work) - nothing great (carpet stained). Woke up at 6:00 a.m. to the sounds of water dripping into our room. Got out of bed to investigate and walked in a pool of water on the carpet...lights didn't work (Power was out on the whole block-not the hotels fault) I then went to use the washroom and got soaking wet - there had been a leak in there as well - all over the toilet. we called maintenance and they came up and said the room above us plugged their toilet and it leaked into our room (I sat in it someone else's ....). Went to the front desk to talk about the situation and they said they would move us. we went for breakfast and when we returned - there was no room in the parking lot underground (which we paid $20 for) and had to park three blocks away and walk back in the rain. They then gave us a room to shower - and said they would move our things to a new room while we were working that day. They did - into another King room. They did end up creditting our parking and room upgrade (but did nothing for our being so inconvenienced) - they had a real chance to redeem themselves but totally blew it. It would have been as simple as a fruit basket or comping breakfast. We will NEVER stay here again. Management needs to empower their staff to do more for guests that are subjected to these kinds of circumstances.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Michelle I, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear 50andlovingit53, I am so sorry to read about your experience here at The Lord Nelson Hotel and Suites. The circumstances you experienced are not the standard of our hotel and I sincerely apologize. Please give me the opportunity to speak with you directly and apologize in person for your inconvenience. Please contact me at the hotel's direct line 902-491-6331.

Michelle I

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
New Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Overnight in Halifax for recent Leonard Cohen show. Lovely older style hotel close to just about everything. Friendly and helpful staff, comfortable bed, adequate sized room and bathroom. Could see a bit of the harbour but not much more from the room, but we weren't there for the view. Convenient location for walking all around downtown Halifax. ( ie Spring Garden Road , Barrington and streets in between). There is no swimming pool, but there is a gym and indoor parking. Didn't eat at the hotel but had a great cappucino and breakfast at Steve-O-Rino's on Brunswick.
We had a good rate and an added bonus of seeing Leonard Cohen up close as he was staying at the same hotel.

Room Tip: Our room on the 9th floor was fine, but if you want a view of more than other taller buildings, ie t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Michelle I, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you Coe202 for posting your experience with us on TA! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us while in town to see the Leonard Cohen Concert! We love to hear memorable stories such as yours! We looked forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Halifax.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed here in August 2012 to conclude a Nova Scotia wedding trip. Booked two rooms, one for myself and other for friends (couple). My room was upgraded to a large suite. The room was very, very large and well decorated. The bed was very comfortable, pillow top. Bed sheets, soft and new. Pillows were larger (normal size) from other Nova Scotia hotels, which was great... The bathroom was huge, and very elegant. Had to iron one of my shirts, and unfortunatly had some stain that was lightly left on the ironing board/table lift off onto my dress shirt. Called Front desk who sent housekeeping to change board/table and they took my shirt down to clean quickly. Stain came out, I was happy. The breakfast the next morning was included in the price / deal, and was continental but wasnt enough to fill us (there wasnt much selection). Felt a little rushed from server, so we had to go to the Hotel restaurant after continental for a more balanced meal. The hallways are very modern, posh, what you would expect from a boutique hotel, yet the rooms are furnished eleganty and richly. The front desk staff were polite, very accomodating and the concierge were great. The hotel is directly across from the city Gardens, and is walking distance from major shopping area and great restaurants. This hotel was a part of the CP Hotels, back in the day and is very much comparable by service standards, grandeur and appearance to today's Fairmont Hotels. They have a guest loyalty reward program which is pretty decent. Cant wait to visit and stay again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Michelle I, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
CanJAD thank you for your generous feedback! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in August. We look forward to your next visit to Halifax and continuing to meet all of your expectations with our Legendary Hospitality.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed here briefly for just one night. Had a classic room which is small as is the washroom. I had a corporate rate so for what I paid I cannot complain. The room was clean - comfy bed. The staff are very good - check in was quick and fast. Fifteen minute walk down to Casino and waterfront.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting your experience on TA! We are glad to offer many different Room Types and styles to accommodate our guests various needs. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Halifax.

Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This is a nice boutique hotel, conveniently located near the city center and not far from the harbor and the waterfront. My room was rather small, but had a fair size bathroom, two nice beds, no desk really, just a small table and a small closet. I missed teabags with the coffee maker… I had a terrible view on the backyard with lots of generator noise… The breakfast is really minimal, nothing to write home about. The staff is professional but not friendly. The elevators are a nuisance, slow. The common areas, so-so.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you PallasParis for providing us with your feedback. We are sorry that during your stay you experienced service that was not up to our standards. We strive to meet all of our guests needs and action our guest concerns when receiving feedback so we can continuously improve our product.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back and delivering the Legendary Hospitality we are known for.

Charlottetown, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Hotel is very welcoming and accommodating. A great place to relax. Great comfy beds. And ambiance. Also in the middle of shopping eating and even a hospital nearby!
The staff are very helpful and know their city and how to direct you. It is an historical property that is keeping with the time!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you Lavasuze for the great rating on TA! You're feedback regarding your experience is very much appreciated. We strive to offer our guests the best service possible, unique Maritime Hospitality! We look forward to welcoming you back!

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

The Lord Nelson probably has the best location in the city. Spring Garden Road is right nearby, and the public gardens are across the street. The hotel itself has just about everything you might want - business centre, wifi, gym, etc...

My only complaint would be how generic some of the hotel stuff is. The best part of staying at the Lord Nelson is the historical atmosphere, but seeing bog standard hotel fixtures kind of sabotages that a little bit. It's a small complaint though - the hotel is overall a great place to stay. I'd stay again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a higher floor facing South. You're in the middle of the city, and rooms on...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
PWHughes we are so glad you posted your experience on TA. Our downtown location is key for many of our guests who want central access to all Halifax has to offer. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Halifax.

Michelle I

Been to The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!