“Not for everyone, but my favorite hotel in my favorite city” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waverley Inn

You added Waverley Inn to your Saves list
Waverley Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1266 Barrington Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 1Y5, Canada (South End)   |
Announcement
Spring Events in Halifax
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Halifax
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Green Bay, WI
“Not for everyone, but my favorite hotel in my favorite city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

If you're someone who is extremely picky and is looking to be pampered and waited on hand and foot during your stay, then you might very well hate this hotel. If you're looking for an affordable hotel in a great city with friendly helpful service and a lot of charm, you may be like me and love it. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever stayed at any hotel I love more.

Pros:
-The staff and the people. We're stayed in this hotel on part of each and every one of the 5 trips we've taken to Nova Scotia and the staff has always been very friendly and helpful. Their advice on where to go and how to get there has always been top notch and they've never been afraid to tell you where not to go if you ask about a particular restaurant or attraction. In addition to the staff, we've also met friendly people staying in the hotel from all over the world.
-Location. Within walking distance of everything in downtown Halifax including the waterfront.
-Price for the location. Hotel was taken over by new owners a few years ago and their rates aren't nearly as cheap as they once were, but for Halifax they're still a good deal.
-The breakfast area and continental breakfast in general. I preferred the breakfast area upstairs to the one they now have set up in the basement, but the new area is bigger.
-It's a hotel with history and the accomodations (while not to everyone's taste) reflect that.

Cons:
-The cheaper rooms are rather small.
-Some people people will likely consider the accomodations to be tacky.
-3 floors and no elevator- not a big deal for us, might be for others.
-I agree with the criticism that the rooms at the front of the hotel can be rather noisy, but hey, whenever we're in Halifax we always have so much to do that we're so tired at night & can sleep through practically anything.
-New ownership has taken steps to make some updates. Last time we were there they had added free internet terminals in the room off the lobby. Some may see this as a plus and while I used the terminals while I was there, I still thought it took away of some of the charm.

In summary, while it's not a 4 star hotel and doesn't offer all the amenities that you would get in one, it offers charm and friendliness that you can't get many other places.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Annapolis Royal, NS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2008

My husband and I have been staying here a few times per year, when we want to go into the city for a concert, to shop, a nice getaway. In the past we tried normal chain hotels and the Garden Inn downtown, very ordinary and as far as I'm concerned the value for the money is just not there. A friend recommended the Waverley a few years ago and we weren't disappointed. It is beautiful, sometimes quirky, definitely clean, welcoming, with a wonderful buffet breakfast. Perfect location for enjoying the downtown without having to drive anywhere. If you are looking for the sterile, cookie-cutter environment of a chain hotel, you wont find it here. It is a welcoming boutique hotel that would cost twice as much in any other city. Most of the rooms aren't very big and don't have a view, but they make up for it with the beautiful furnishings and decor and luxurious feather bedding. After roaming around in the city all day you really do want a quiet, pampering, homey haven to go back to. By the way, the web photos do not do it justice.

• Liked — Comfort
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2008

This is a great place to stay! The staff were very friendly, giving us a history of the Inn. The rooms were comfortable and very clean. After reading some of the reviews of the breakfast I was a little hesitant to try it but was pleasantly surprised. There is such a huge variety of food to eat and everything was delicious and fresh .
I consider myself quite picky and I would definitely stay here again. The people who left negative feedback on this property must be impossible to please.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

I was looking forward to the advertised canopy bed, oversized jacuzzi tub, feather beds, fluffy robes, Nope on all accounts. My room was filled with old furniture that didn't operate properly - whether that qualifies as antiques is debatable. There was window A/c unit that was loud and obnoxious. the view from my single little window was of an alley and parking lot. Not very romantic. A tiny bathroom that only had the tub/shower and toilet. The sink was outside the bathroom on the other side of the bedroom. No place to put my toiletries in either location. I would have been much happier at one of the standard large chains, like the Marriott. Granted less character, but sometimes you just want a nice bathroom. Breakfast was good, including hot food. The desk staff was the only memorable thing about the Waverly Inn. They were all very helpful and cooperative, especially the afternoon staff. Though they say there are no elevators and imply that you have to lug your luggage up to your room, the front desk quickly got a man to help me up to my room. Probably didn't want me banging into the carved wood stairs or antiques in the hall. Cookies and coffee are provided all the time in the lobby. Off of the reception there is a comfortable common room with two computers and free internet.

• Liked — helpfulness of desk staff
  • Disliked — quality of my room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2008

I first booked the Waverley Inn in 1991 because of the Oscar Wilde connection and have stayed there on every trip to Halifax since -- 5 and counting. The location is within walking distance of pretty much everything you want to see in Halifax -- just be prepared to walk back uphill! The antique furniture is wonderful, and I always make sure to book a room with a Jacuzzi. The Roman Sisters Room is my favorite. It used to be a two-bed room (which was great for me and my daughter) but now has a king-size bed with a featherbed you can get lost in.

I've watched the changes over the years. They used to have a "Welcome Room" next to the lobby where you could get coffee/tea/juice/toast/cookies, etc., till midnight. Then they expanded the room and the breakfast items. This was the first time I had experienced the new "full" breakfast, and it was adequate. The hot items were refreshed a couple of times during my sittings. I don't stay here -- or any other B&B -- for the food anyway.

My only caveat is that there's no elevator, so if you don't want to lug your bags upstairs, be sure to request a room on the ground floor. Check the inn's Web site for types of rooms, and if you really want a Jacuzzi tub, call their toll-free number to double-check. The very helpful and accommodating staff can provide printed directions to Peggy's Cove and other area attractions. And if you just HAVE to check your e-mail, you can use the computers in the main floor salon free of charge -- handy for letting family know you've arrived safely!

• Liked — Location and ambience
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Princeton, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

Unlikely charm in this Victorian inn a few blocks from downtown Halifax. Unfailingly helpful and friendly staff, free and convenient parking, a breakfast buffet--nothing special but nice to have. We enjoyed the Oscar Wilde room in the original part of the building--he actually stayed there--but anyone bothered by noise would be wise to avoid the front rooms. Great decor.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
La Grange, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

We spent 3 nights at the Waverly. It is a lovely building, so historic and very well maintained. The location is excellent, we walked to the waterfront, the Citadel, the Gardens, no need for a car at all. Breakfast was average, good coffee, eggs, muffins, buffet style. The fruit selection could be improved, it was the same fruit cocktail each day. The staff is excellent and helpful. Internet was always up and running. Our room was a bit of a concern. It was on the third floor and we asked for a high ceiling, we were given a dormer room with a sloping ceiling. The bathroom was quite small, but we never had a problem with hot water or pressure. The room faced the street. There is a tavern across the street that goes on each night until 2:30 AM, and the noise from the partiers that hang around outside was quite loud in our room. I did use earplugs the last night and that helped a bit. Also it is a busy street, you will hear the traffic early in the morning if you have a front facing room, so beware. We loved Halifax, the people, the food and the Maritime Museum.

• Liked — Location and charming interior
  • Disliked — the noise from the street late at night and early morning
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Waverley Inn? Share your experiences!