“A bit of out place...but is adequate.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Nova Scotian

You added The Westin Nova Scotian to your Saves list
The Westin Nova Scotian
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1181 Hollis Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 2P6, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #18 of 29 Hotels in Halifax
Edmonton, Alberta
“A bit of out place...but is adequate.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

Stayed here 5 nights on my first visit to Halifax.

The Lobby is very nice, but once you get to your room you realize it's an older hotel which they have tried to renovate.I suppose it was a historic building from the past and thety dealt with it the best they could. The room, though furnished nicely, was cramped, bathroom was not as modern as it could be and I just got this sense of a musty smell.

Room service was excellent and the food was quite good. It rained a lot when I was in Halifax so I didn't get out much after a busy day at work.

Hotel is located at the end of town by the Pier and there is a nice wooden walking path by the water that takes you quite a ways up into downtown.

All in all not a bad stay but I might try the Four Points next time.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
AshleyNCH, General Manager at The Westin Nova Scotian, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay with us. Our sincere apologies that we did not meet and exceed your Westin standards.

We would like to invite you back so you could experience a much better experience in a much better room. Our facilities are great and we definitely have great Westin rooms with very impressive views.

Please contact us directly if you would like to return with us to see what a true Westin experience should feel like.

Warm regards,

Guido Kerpel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Carstairs, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

We were well taken care of from the moment of check in. Comfortable atmosphere, good food staff was great and took great care of us. Due to the great service we were just focused on the enjoyment of being in Halifax. Lots to see and do and always a pleasure to go back to our room at the end of the day.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel for the TripAdvisor community. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and a meal in our restaurant. We are proud of the service and accommodations we provide and appreciate your comments.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards,

cjg1
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

Had a eigth floor water view room which was quite and had a good bed but bath was small and a bit dated. The view looked out on a power plant which is located to the NE of the hotel and across the bay to oil storage tanks. Still the room was quite and comfortable and good enough, however the food in the lobby bar was awful and the Sunday brunch at $33 a person would only have been fairly priced at half that rate.
The location is fine, as others have mentioned there are grocery and liqupr stores only about 150 meters away. You can walk to the active part of the waterfront in less than 15 minutes.

This is a nice hotel it is not in my view up to the standard I nornally expect from Westins. Finally the staff are nice and generally helpful.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Our sincere apologies that we did not meet and exceed your Westin standards. We are glad you enjoyed the comfort of the Hotel room and the service of the staff but we do apologize that you did not enjoy the food from our lounge. We take all comments seriously and share them with our team so we may resolve any and all issues. Again, thank you for your comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

I spent two days of my honeymoon at the Westin in Halifax, and they were the highlight of our trip. Even though we booked through Priceline the management was extremely kind. When we checked in our room wasn't ready so the management upgraded us to a suite on one of the top floors.. That night when we returned home after dinner there was a bottle of wine and some chocolate strawberries with a little note congratulating us on our wedding. I had told all 3 hotels that we were spending our honeymoon there ahead of time, and the Westin was the only one who went out of their way to make our honeymoon special.

The location was great near the harbourfront, the pool/hot tub and workout room were quite nice as well. We stayed in another room the other night because we were there our 1st/last nights of the week and our 2nd room was very nice as well.

If I return to Halifax I will be sure to stay at the Westin.

The only issue I had during our stay is that our neighbours arrived at 3 AM in the morning and there was a group of them who had been out partying.. Sound travels a bit through the walls so we lost a couple hours of sleep, but I didn't really want to complain about it through the front desk so I waited it out.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We are thrilled to hear that you had such a great experience and we would like to congratulate you again on your marriage.

We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we continue to try to be the best Westin around. It sounds like we accomplished this with your stay.

Concerning your noise challenges, I am very sorry you had to experience this level of noise. We do recommend that guests call the front desk when they experience any issues as our security team is well trained to follow up with these concerns.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

I have stayed at Westins in Vancouver, Edmonton, and Toronto. I like the attention to detail that is show there and as a "Starwood Preferred Guest" I often get little extras thrown in. So I was disappointed with this hotel, because it was missing those touches. The rooms are not cheap, but the room I got was seriously worn. For a hotel that is suppose to be 4 star, I expected much better. If McDonald's can give free WiFi in all their restaurants, why should I have to pay at the Westin?
I have written to the Service Manager of the hotel with my suggestions for improvement.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations during your experience with us.

As a guest at our hotel we should be providing you with best possible service and product our hotel can offer. We certainly appreciate the follow up you have given us and I can assure you we will improve in the areas you have noted.

Kind regards,

Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Double occupancy, 2 double beds, stayed 3 nights and 4 days.
Pros: The room was very clean and open. Good view. Rooms were kept very clean, and there was no shortage of supplies such as clean towels, shampoo, soap etc. The room I was in was part of the older building and had high ceilings and a bit of rustic charm thrown in with the modern appliances. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room had great black out curtains to keep out the city glare.

Cons: Free WiFi was not provided and came with a cost of 9.95 per day. There was a "business centre" in the main lobby with 2 free computers but these were always occupied when I went by.

Room Tip: Ask for a view!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Moncton,NB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Stayed June 10,11, 2011 First off.....I have to say, we loved the Westin! What a beautiful , grand hotel with all the amenities. Check in was fast and friendly and lobby quite impressive in design. We were given a Harbourview room facing Georges Island(?)....beautiful view! The room was tastefully decorated, clean and newly renovated. The bathroom was sweet..lots of shelving space for your sundries....a magnifying mirror on the wall and very well lit for applying makeup. Nice shampoo/cond and lotion, as well as Starbucks coffee. New flat screen tv and a very comfortable queen bed. In the lobby a gentleman played classical/jazz type music early evening which was a lovely touch while enjopying a cocktail at the Eve lounge. We opted to have an evening dinner at Elements Restaurant in the hotel and it was delicious ,the service friendly, impeccable and reasonably priced....thanks Jose! Lots of parking in the back and compared to other hotels in the area....their charge of $18 is very fair! Some places are $27. The back entrance is surrounded by beautiful flowering bushes/trees. You can't beat its location with a Superstore next door,liquor store.....a just built Farmers Market, Brewery, used book store as well as a ton of excellent restaurants, and not to forget.....direct entrance to the waterfront boardwalk which leads you to Historic Properties. Short walking distant to Spring Garden Road. If one wanted to play tennis you can even rent an instructor at their tennis court! They have a nice workout center as well as an indoor pool and hot tub. There wasn't an employee who wasn't gracious and friendly! Free morning newspaper and elevators were quite fast....never had to wait long. It is so nice to see The Westin take the old Hotel Nova Scotia back to its glory! Thank you for a memorable stay! I also had an hour massage at the Spa located at the Hotel, very good....and they offered guests a 10% discount.....Elements were offering guests a 25% discount...can't beat that!! I have nothing but praise for this place! I hope you all end up with the exact same experience we had! :)

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Nova Scotian? Share your experiences!