“Overall a great stay...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Prince George Hotel

You added Prince George Hotel to your Saves list
Prince George Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1725 Market Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 3N9, Canada (Downtown Halifax)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$169 and FREE Parking
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Halifax
Mahone Bay NS
“Overall a great stay...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on Saturday night for my daughters birthday celebration. I had booked two adjoining rooms ( the hotel told me they had to be as the girls are under 19 ) but they were unable to accommodate this upon check-in. They offered me two king rooms but I needed a king and two doubles. I was a little disappointed that I didn't get the adjoining rooms I had booked. The rest of the stay was great. The dessert platter, Shirley Temples and sparkling water in the room for the girls was a lovely touch. Thank you to those staff who helped the girls to have some fun with a couple of extra room deliveries!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Scott T, General Manager at Prince George Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
My apologies Allicat65 for the adjoining room request falling through on our part. There is a nice long story as to why this happened but then end result is we didn't deliver on your request and for that we are sorry. I hope your daughter had a wonderful birthday and it would be our pleasure to do it all again next year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

The hotel was clean and very nice. The staff were skilled and polite. The room was large and had everything we needed. Frankly the whole visit was excellent! Check it out if you're in Halifax!

I did not try the breakfast or the attached restaurant because they are a bit upscale in terms of price, and it was more of a relaxing weekend around Halifax than it was a dress up and be fancy type visit. I also did not try the Spa.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Devin L - maybe on your next trip you give our breakfast a try - if you are here by chance over a Sunday I would highly recommend our brunch - it is absolutely terrific. Thanks again and we are always here for a little getaway.
Edmonds, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Our stay at the Prince George was wonderful. The staff made it so. Always attentive. The concierge provided fabulous dining ideas, all walkable. Our spacious room had a view of the harbor, which was a bonus. And, perhaps because we booked 3 rooms, the reservationist sent up a wine and cheese/fruit tray up to our room. A "perk" we did not expect.

Liked their small gym, which was pretty typical of hotels, but it had changing rooms and a nice pool for doing laps. My wife and I used them every day. I would use the elliptical, followed by weights and then a few laps in the pool. These were necessary, as we were eating such good meals every night.

The location is outstanding, being up near the Citadel, making the gardens and shopping very accessible, plus Halifax is a very walkable city. Good food is 1.5 blocks away. No need to use the very expensive and slow service restaurant, Gio's, in the hotel. What we did eat was very good, however. It just wasn't any more outstanding than other places in town.

My overall bottom line ... stay at the Prince George. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbor view room, 4th floor or above, if possible. Always try to get away from the elevato...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
I wish you would have given GIO a try Scubaskier - the kitchen and service team take an immense amount of pride in making sure everyone who goes in there is well looked after and leave feeling special. Thank you for reviewing our hotel and I am glad to know you enjoyed your stay with us.
Elmira
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

If you have not yet had the pleasure of visiting Halifax and it's surrounding beauty, put is on your list! We were recently in Halifax to attend BOMEX 2013 and had the pleasure of staying at the Prince George Hotel. Our first impression was very pleasant as we pulled up to the front entrance and parked so that we could quickly check in and go for a drive. We had booked and paid in advance taking advantage of an "early bird special". Check in was very fast and efficient and they offered to park our car if needed, should we not be down from our room within a reasonable time. The room was located on the sixth floor; it was very clean and they had provided some feather pillows, which we had requested in advance. As part of the special we had access to the "lounge" which was three rooms down from us. This "lounge" had a great expresso/latte/cappuccino machine, a fully stocked fridge, fruit and nuts and a great selection for breakfast. The staff that came in periodically to stock it and clean was very friendly and professional. The bed was very comfortable; internet was fast and the washroom was stocked with Aveda products.
unbeknownst to me, the conference we were going to at the WTCC was linked through a walkway below and our travel time there was less than 3 minutes.
Prince George also has a very nice outside patio area; swimming pool. The gym was not that large but had all one needs for a good workout away from home or your own gym.
All in all, this was a great place to stay and didn't break the bank to stay.
I highly recommend a trip to Peggy's Cove while you are there. It is only about a 40 minute drive but its serenity, colours and friendly people are absolutely gorgeous..

Room Tip: If possible, book an "early bird" special. It gets you the added value of access to the &q...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you ZapataCO for choosing to stay with us. I am glad to know you enjoyed Halifax and our Hotel and we certainly hope your travels bring you back someday soon. Thanks again.
Buford, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

It was a good hotel. they think they are a great hotel. The public spaces are nice. There were not robes, moisturizer or shower cap in the room. Breakfast is not included and the breakfast in the hotel dining room costs a fortune. The evening we were there, there was a pretentious bartender that we made fun of all evening. Not a bad hotel, but not near as good as they think they are

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi princes110. My apologies for any actions or comments that made you feel like we think we are all that. Creating an atmosphere like you describe is certainly not in our manual and not our intent. I hope we get a chance to prove that to you. I am glad to know you otherwise enjoyed your stay.
sydney traveller
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Traditional (maybe read a little old fashioned), but solid in every respect.
Good size rooms with all the amenities needed. Perhaps bathroom a little small (compared to room).
Decor a little old fashioned and with no real individual personality, but very well maintained.
Excellent beds.
Free and fast internet (most of the time- a couple of slow downs which I will forgive!)
Ping 48ms Download 17.13 mps
Room service decent but not outstanding.
Fitness room with very little equipment and nice small swimming pool.
Excellent location. Soundproofing Ok.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Scott T, General Manager at Prince George Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
The word traditional isn't always old nathanwaks but rather "classic" - either way we appreciate your kind support and would be honuored to be your host again if your travels bring you back to YHZ - Thank you.
Mount Uniacke, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My husband and I had our wedding here on August 17, 2013. I can't speak highly enough of the front-of-house staff, our site coordinator Penny MacKinnon, the catering staff, the valets and the restaurant staff.

Almost my entire wedding party traveled from outside of Canada, and they stayed at the Prince George as well. They really enjoyed the hotel and it's perfect location in the downtown area. My husband and I had a special suite on the sixth floor with a shower that felt bigger than my home bathroom, a hot tub, make-up table and all the amenities you'd expect in a high-end hotel. We slept very well, thoroughly enjoyed the complimentary breakfast available in the lounge, and everything was extremely well-handled. If I asked for anything during the set-up, it was handled straight away, and the Regency patio was a perfect spot for our intimate gathering (about 60 people).

Moving on to the FOOD. We chose to have a buffet dinner for the meal, and people are STILL talking about it. The choices seemed endless and the quality was absolutely stunning. I'm only mad that I couldn't fit more in while wearing my wedding dress! The ONLY complaint I had from any guest was that the plates were too small and they had to keep going up for more. :) The wait staff was impeccable and nearly invisible, and the bartender did a wonderful job keeping my guests happy!

When we picked up all the items from the wedding, it was all packed away carefully and so nothing would be damaged. We were even given complimentary bottles of water when we were waiting for them to bring the things out.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Prince George Hotel to anyone staying in Halifax. The hotel itself is beautiful (*especially with the renovations that have been happening!*), but the staff is it's most valuable asset. I look forward to staying at the Prince George again... perhaps we will make it an anniversary treat in the years to come.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Congrats MrsGad on a successful special day.... we love being part of weddings like yours. Our staff almost feel like they were invited to the party as opposed to working one. Do I hear a one year anniversary stay?

Been to Prince George Hotel? Share your experiences!