“Great food, not so great service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Brussels Restaurant & Brasserie - CLOSED

Brussels Restaurant & Brasserie
1873 Granville Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada (Downtown Halifax)
902-446-4700
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
Halifax, Canada
“Great food, not so great service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Visited for an early supper with my parents on a Saturday afternoon. First we ordered drinks. Upon them arriving, an entire bottle of beer fell off of the servers tray and the glass did as well, and shattered all over our table. She insinuated that it was my dad's fault for not grabbing his drink out of her hand fast enough. That was fine - it got cleaned up.

Food came - was wonderful. Mussels were amazing and everyone liked their food - BIG PLUS!

We ordered a second round of drinks. I ordered a Becks. First I was brought the wrong drink and then when I sent it back the server returned to advise that there was no Becks left. (this is a Brasserie and this was Saturday afternoon).

My mom ordered a drink - one of the few cocktails on the menu. They had no Blue Caraco so could not make it. We found something else.

I'm not a 'wanter' of freebies and did not ask for anything, but I kind of assumed that at least the beer that was spilled all over our table by the server and had to be replaced would be comped. No dice. Nothing for the unavailable drinks either. Not a cent for a discount, no incentive to return.

As much as I liked the food, I will not return due to the lack of service. Two servers took care of us - a younger and very nice girl who chatted and was very polite and happy and made great suggestions. The other server, who spilled the drink, was a bit older and said she was actually the head chef and was 'moonlighting' on the floor.

We still tipped and thanked for the good service - it is not the fault of the server that they have bad stock. The food came quickly and was good. But, there was no 'im sorry' and the fact that absolutely nothing was done for good will kind of soured me.

If you can deal with crappy service to get good food, give this place a go. But if service is important to you, as it is to me, avoid this place.

(I did e-mail the restaurant earlier today - no reply yet. I'll be surprised if I get a reply and if so will update with the outcome).

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

halifax
“One of our worse experiences”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband & I went to Brussels last evening for the 1st time. We had checked the menu, etc., on line & thought it was worth going too...Well BIG MISTAKE!!! When we walked in, we both thought the same...we should have left then. For the pricing on their menu, this is a joke!!! The appetizers we had (oyster gratin & scallop dish) were cold....the main course I ordered, well I wish Chef Ramsey was there to look at that...it was the barbecued ribs & fries...they had dumped the sauce on top of the ribs....which looked sickly...and the ribs were absolutely uneatable!!! The outside of the ribs were "hard" and tough and lukewarm..not a pleasant experience..For the pricing of their dinner menu, and the look of the tables, etc., we can't understand how they have lasted ....i

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Arnhem, The Netherlands
“Enjoyed it - good beer selection and decent food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Had dinner at Brussels on Valentine's day - the fact that we had a table obviously tells you something. Beer selection is incredible and le fin du monde (from Quebec) resembles a good biere d'abbaye from Belgium.

My collegeague and I both had a steak - which was decently done, but too thin too my liking. It should have been 50% thicker to be a proper steak.

The sides though were excellent, especially their version of poutine - I would have that anytime.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Halifax
“Horrible Experience! Never Again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Greatly disappointed with the experience at Brussels!!!
Food was close to uneatable, we got served with black-rotten mussels, which we reported to a waitress.. She came back with no apologies, but said : "Well, we are not going to check each mussel individually. Can't do anything about it." Great attitude, huh!? WE GOT CHARGED for eating that rotten stuff, and we did get food poisoning shortly after eating it!!! Thank god, we survived!

ABSOLUTELY WRONG manager's/owner's attitude!!! And they teach their waiters to act that way! We called this place THE BIGGEST SCAM OF RESTAURANT BUSINESS IN HALIFAX!!!!!

Stay away from Brussels!!!

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Halifax, NS
“Great Atmsophere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Had a great time, New Years Eve here, the staff and atmosphere was fantastic, lovely little gem in the heart of Halifax, Relax and enjoy! The food was good and great flavour, great mixed drinks as well as beer. We will be back!

• Visited January 2013