“Disappointing.....not what we expected at all.” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
CUT Steakhouse & Urban Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #119 of 615 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Lower Water St
St. John's, Canada
“Disappointing.....not what we expected at all.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

As a native Haligonian who has lived away for some years, I wanted to treat my husband to a special birthday dinner during our recent visit to Halifax. I did some research and discovered that the RCR group had built a new "Steakhouse" at the Brewery. Remembering back to the days when I would frequent Ryan Duffy's, I was excited to treat him to the best of local cuisine.

We arrived by Taxi and found ourselves on Salter Street glazing into a dirty looking kitchen area watching some unhappy looking Kitchen staff disagree about something. Then we watched as servers hustled up the stairs with plates of food. And we're not even inside yet.

The décor is very nice indeed which reignited our optimism for a great meal. Once seated, we were completely underwhelmed with the impersonal patronizing service and constant (insincere) attempts to up sell. Price was no object for the right experience however, If I'm going to pay over $100 per Steak, I need to be confident it's worth it.

Our meal was disappointing. The Steaks were cooked to the correct temperature, but were so over seasoned. We ordered a few sides, one of which was Lobster Risotto. It was so intensely cheesy one couldn't taste even a hint of Lobster.

Overall, I'm sorry to say, a real letdown.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Don't take the fresh tuna tartare”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Place is good. The service was fare even if in other place you can get more attention on the water service. The food was the problem. I asked for a fresh tuna tartare. I expected to receive something with a flavour of fresh fish, instead the plate was similar to a fresh limonade. Following I asked for burger sandwiches: the quantity was ok probably to much. The flavour so and so

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Bedford, Canada
“Great outdoor patio, only average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We finally got around to trying the Urban Grill (downstairs) at Cut this past weekend as it was a beautiful summer evening and we had always admired the outdoor patio, especially in the evenings.

The patio was great and our server did a great job in looking after us, however we felt the food was only average at best. I had half a dozen raw oysters and my wife had the oysters Rockefeller as starters and we both agreed that these were the best part of the meal. The entrees were somewhat disappointing. My beef tournedos had too much sauce and the vegetables were overcooked and very tasteless. My wife's tuna was somewhat bland and had the same tasteless, overcooked vegetables. We didn't bother to try dessert.

Cut has a great location and again the outdoor patio is terrific but they need to step it up when it comes to the food.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Greenville, South Carolina
“Great Evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We went to CUT at the recommendation of a bartender Great recommendation!! Very pricey but service was impeccable!! My steak was overdone but the wait staff went out of their way to cook me a new steak (cooked perfectly) and kept my husband's steak warm while this was being done. Had 4 people taking care of us the entire evening and we felt pampered. These people know how to take care of their customers. If you want a great meal and great service (but you will spend some $$$), this is the place!

Visited August 2013
Muncie, Indiana
“Fantastic Outside Dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stopped by this restaurant for dessert and drinks. The dessert menu was very opulent. The desserts were delicious. The drinks were a good value and the service was attentive. It was nice to hang out outside later in the evening and not be treated differently because we weren't having a full meal. The server made our 14 year old and 8 year old feel welcome.

Visited July 2013