“Did Not Enjoy Lobster Seafood Linguine!!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #70 of 628 Restaurants in Halifax
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Your neighbourhood pub in the downtown core of Halifax Nova Scotia.
Charlottetown, Canada
“Did Not Enjoy Lobster Seafood Linguine!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

On a recent overnight trip to Halifax we stopped into the Red Stag Tavern because it was a block away from our hotel and we did not arrive in town until 8 pm...we wanted someplace close. The atmosphere is quite nice, it is located in the Keith's brewery, a heritage building. The service was prompt and friendly.

I ordered the "Lobster Seafood Linguine"...described as having "A heaping portion of fresh Atlantic Lobster, scallops, shrimp, mussels". What a disappointment...there were two miniscule pieces of lobster (no bigger than a dime) and the whole meal had a very "fishy" smell. I mentioned the lack of lobster to our server, she apologized and took my plate to the kitchen to add more....when it returned, I honestly could not tell the difference...any extra lobster must have consisted of finely shredded meat from the lobster knuckles...it did not stand out. I ate about half of my meal and immediately wished that I had not... It tasted and smelled very "fishy"... I am sure either some or all of the seafood was not fresh. The two other people with me that evening had the Italian chicken sandwich and the sirloin steak. Both meals could be described as average.

I guess my point is this meal should have been called Seafood Linguine, no emphasis on the almost non existent lobster....and I am very fortunate that this less than fresh seafood dish did not come back to haunt me!! However, to her credit the server did not charge me for my meal.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Toronto, On
“Great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Loved our meals at the Red Stag Tavern, our server was a little slow but there were some big groups in the restaurant so it's understandable (ours was a group of 2). Beer was of course fantastic, as was the atmosphere! Glad we stumbled across this little gem.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“A true Red Stag and Keith's Fan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

When I travel to Halifax, there is a reason I stay at the Marriott Hotel which is steps from my Favorite Beer in the World. I travel every where and have tasted many a beer. Alexander Keith's is the top of my list. The Red Stag Tavern always adds to the experience of having a great beer. The service and food tops the list as well. I have never been disappointed in the 4 years I have visited the tavern. Adam's team of servers will make sure you have a great time and relax while having a brew. The outside patio is a great place to hang out as well. This is a place you have to visit when in Halifax.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Canada
“NS Vacation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We did the tour of the Keith's brewery and then came here for dinner. The menu was OK, but not a full pub menu. The food was good and the service nice.

Visited August 2013
Halifax, N.S.
“Nice old-feel bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Through its many incarnations, the location that is now the Red Stag Tavern has been a long-time favourite. The latest version has stepped up the food, with a very good fish and chips, original nachos and tasty coconut shrimp among a number of options, including a good variety of lobster dishes on the summer menu. The roof-top deck is fun, too. Good value, great staff and a nice atmosphere.

• Visited August 2013