“Home away from home...but with whales, lobsters and clams!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Digby Backpackers Inn to your Saves list
Digby Backpackers Inn
168 Queen Street, Digby, Nova Scotia B0V 1A0, Canada   |
Digby, Canada
“Home away from home...but with whales, lobsters and clams!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

I stayed here on 3 seperate occasions during a 6 week trip of NOva Scotia for work and leisure and absolutely loved it. Claude and Saskia are really friendly, helpful hosts and great fun.
The backpackers is in a part of Digby that is so peaceful that I slept really well all the time I was there. It is also close to the town centre with some great restaurants, and also it is near enough to walk to the food shops etc. Although during my visit we also got shown the perfect clamming beach and where to get great lobster, both of which were cooked back at the hostel-great company and great food!
It is also the perfect place from which to explore the sights of the area, Annapolis Royal is interesting, Sandy Cove beautiful, and of course a trip down through Digby Neck and Islands to go whale watching from Brier Island. I was fortunate enough to see seals, a harbour porpoise, 5 Humpbacks playing together and then a morther and baby Right Whales during my trip from Brier Island-simply Awesome.
I cant recommend The Digby Backpacker's enough, and look forward to my next visit!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

This place is a B&B and is in a victorian home witha great view of the harbour. Saskie who runs it is so hospitable and looks after all your needs.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

I stayed here for two nights all by myself! literally i was the only traveller left in nova scotia it felt! Claude and Saskia were so welcoming and made me feel right at home, the delicious home cooked pancakes really helped! I got a lot of travelling advice from them both, which really helped in the bleak winter of not knowing where to go, but the dramatic weather i found made me feel more alive. Especially on the ferry crossing to Brier Island, where the waves came onto the bonnet of my car! It is a definite must to visit that place when staying in digby. This hostel has to be in my top 3 places in the whole of canada to stay at, the cleanliness and comfort of the hostel made it so.

Claude and Saskia really are doing what they love, at their best and providing travellers with an excellent hostel to stay at. I will definitely be back!

Nicola, English girl who tried maple syrup baked beans and yams! hmmm....

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

I've stayed in many hostels, motels, and hotels throughout my travels. Normally, I'm a restless person - already making plans to leave a place minutes after I arrive. It was not the case in Digby, NS. My tour across Canada brought me to Digby Backpackers Inn. This hostel was the only place where I found the peace and serenity that I sought. Although it is a hostel with options for dormitory or private rooms, this place gives the impression of a 'home-away-from-home.' It's very clean, comfortable, and safe. The owners are very friendly and helpful. In addition, Digby Backpackers Inn is conveniently situated near the ferry terminal to Saint John, NB. Guests can get here easily via Acadian bus lines or Kings transit (the cheaper option).

Washington, D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

I've stayed in quite a few hostels but my husband had not, so as we planned on our honeymoon journey through Nova Scotia, he decided he wanted to try staying in one. I've had some interesting in experiences in hostels in the past but agreed to try the one in Digby, NS out since they offered a private room for us.
The Digby Backpacker's Inn turned out to be a wonderful first-time hostel experience for my husband and redeemed my idea of hostels! The owners - Claude and Saskia - are WONDERFUL inn-keepers; they provide clean, ready-to-sleep bedrooms, renovated bathrooms, fresh linens, coffee/tea and healthy, generously-portioned breakfast staples to guests. It feels like family breakfast time when you're in their kitchen sharing stories... The house is decorated in an eclectic, funky mixture of antique furniture and it has beautiful wooden floors.
The area surrounding Digby has a variety of activities available, such as lighthouse hiking trails, whale watching, native indian basket makers, artisan crafts, historic buildings, beautiful photographic opportunities, and moderately priced restaurants with world-famous scallop recipes.
We liked it so much, we stayed in this hostel longer than we stayed anywhere else in Canada.
I HIGHLY recommend this hostel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Wexford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

I felt like home in this beautiful renovated hostel. The hosts are very friendly and helpful. They know a lot about the area! Bed was very comfi and ensuite bath was excellent! I wish I could have stayed longer!!!
I loved the place and I hope to be back one time.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2008

This newly opened hostel is a little jewel. The first impression was this of a very nice bed and breakfast. The common areas are all very tastefully furnished and have beautiful wooden floors.
The bedrooms with four beds each, are simple but pretty with comfortable and sturdy bunk beds.
The kitchen is extremely well equipped, everything is sparkling clean.
But the best thing about this hostel are the lovely owners Saskia and Claude, super friendly, helpful and knowledgeable, who made us feel right at home.
Being the typical budget travellers (an accountant and ex- lawyer...;-), we usually prefer to spend our money on eating out and outdoor activities rather than on fancy accommodation. Additionally we like the atmosphere of a hostel with meeting other travellers and exchanging our experiences.
The Digby Backpacker Inn went well beyond our expectations: a very nice, comfortable place to stay at a very reasonable rate (especially as we were lucky enough to get their private room). The free wireless was great to catch up with e-mails and reserve the next place to stay. But in the end we just stayed longer in Digby because we liked the hostel so much and the area with Digby Neck and Annapolis Royal has much to offer during the day. Our favorite hostel in our 1 month journey through the East of Canada.

• Liked — It felt like home away from home
  • Disliked — NOTHING
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Digby Backpackers Inn? Share your experiences!