“....casual....friendly, busy, neighbourhood roadside spot....” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
“....casual....friendly, busy, neighbourhood roadside spot....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

If you are looking for a spot to have breakfast, lunch or dinner...especially a really casual spot with family....and ....on a budget...this is your place.
We drop in once every few months...espcially for a weekend fry-up with the kids. They love their portion sizes...large...fill the belly....and their steak and eggs, their homefires with the spice they add....you will remember it...and then crave to go back:)
k...not getting any awards for cholestoral free this and that...but every once in a while...instead of a Mcdonald's or any other spot like that....come to this spot.
It has always been busy....no matter what time we go...always waiting for a seat....always squeezing into our seats when we are lucky to get one....but we love it here.
The waitresses handle and amazing amount of table each...the servers are neighbourhood friendly, down to earth and usually have smiles on their hurried faces.
The potato skins we ordered on our last visit three weeks ago were amazing...lots of sodium if you are looking to cut back...don't order lol....but now and then...the bacon, cheese and that spice again...:)...
There was a steak special when we were there ...usually is one...and one of the kids had it...loved it.....one had a salad...greek...and loved it....I had club...split it with my youngest....loved it....and hubby had a burger....loved it.
It is a greasy spoon type of place that makes you welcome your hearty meal without guilt.......which is still ok to eat now and then:).
My youngest says when we wait for a table each time..."well it's always packed because it has such good food!"...he's 11.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Halifax, Nova Scoita
“2nd WORST breakfast ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

Went to the MMBR for breakfast this morning. This was the 2nd WORST breakfast I have had in my entire life. (The worst being at a Denny's in Kissimmee, Fl).

I had the sausage, eggs, toast & homefries. The eggs were barely above room temperature. They were tasteless, dry as dirt and broken up into tiny niblets that you couldn't eat with a fork. My toast was served burnt, stale and not as warm as the eggs. The homefries were overdone with lots of uneatabe pieces. The sausages were fine and hot but nothing at all special about them.

My wife's meal was the exact same way. She had coffee with her meal and when she asked for decaf was told all they had was packs of instant Sanka. Instant coffee - Really?

The service was lackluster. The server forgot my wife's side order of beans and my beverage and never checked to see if we needed anything during the meal. There appeared to be plenty of staff on duty so being busy (which they weren't) isn't an excuse.

So after hearing glowing reviews of the place and trying many times to get in and seeing lines out the door we regret to say we will NEVER eat there again. My only guess for why its rated so high is because its a beverage room and people are writing reviews after too many beveages to remember how horrible the food is. This is just the opinion of both my wife and I - your experience may differ and I hope for your sake it does.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Dartmouth, Canada
“Dartmouth's hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

I am sorry that I have to write this , as it is hard enough to get a table at the Mic Mac. Food is excellent , fairly priced , and the best chicken wings in the city...Dave's sauce....If you want to go back a few years and remember what it was like to eat in a tavern...try the Mic Mac... Kids are welcome.
The Mic Mac Burger at $5.99 is a steal...BP says it took them 25 years to come up with their $10.95 best burger...Guess what, they could have saved a lot of time and went to the Mic Mac for 1/2 the price........

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
globeseeker007
1,076 helpful votes 1,076 helpful votes
“We had some great meals here while in Dartmouth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

The bed and breakfast where we stayed in Dartmouth was within walking distance of this restaurant and it was recommended to us by the B&B owner. We ate here 4 nights in a row and all of the meals were delicious. We had lobster, scallops, salmon, and haddock and all of it was great. The waitresses there were all friendly, efficient, and very knowledgable about the food on the menu. When we left, my wife and I both agreed that we would miss this restaurant.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Halifax
“Have the steak”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

Mic Mac Tavern is the best place to go for a steak in Halifax, Dartmouth, Bedford, ect. You'll have to wait for a table to be open to sit down, but the staff and food are great. It's always busy and a little noisy, but that is part of the fun! The price is very reasonable for the mountain of great food! The Keg has nothing on the Tavern. It's not classy or romantic, but you'll be back! I love you bacon wrapped tenderloin, done to perfection everytime.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere