“Great budget stay.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel to your Saves list
Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   65 King Street, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia B2Y 4C2, Canada (Dartmouth Centre)   |
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Dartmouth
St. John's, NL
“Great budget stay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Rooms are simple, but well-appointed. Front desk was very accomodating- we had many small requests throughout our stay, including a 10 am check-in, changing rooms, etc. The complimentary breakfast was nice. Breads, cereals, juice, and coffee.

This hotel is a stone's throw from the ferry to downtown Halifax, which ran frequently from morning until late into the evening. At 2.25 CAD per ride, it's probably the cheapest, downtown harbourview, 14 minute boat ride in Canada. Also, our stay at the Super 8 Dartmouth was about half that of what we would have typically paid for our usual choice hotel chain in downtown Halifax.

This was the only hotel in the Dartmouth/Downtown Halifax area that could guarantee us a room with a balcony.

Room Tip: As other reviewers have noted, try for harbourview room on a high floor. The view was incredible.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed at the Super 8 in Dartmouth on my last days in Halifax before flying back home. I had been on a round trip. The first three nights, I had spent in downtown Halifax, but I'd had a special offer and couldn't find any accomodations that fit my budget. Even though I was hesitant at first, it was really easy getting to and from Halifax, where I spent most of my time.
The hotel is located just a block away from the ferry dock and I actually enjoyed the ferry rides in the morning and afternoon.

The hotel itself is what you expect and now from Super 8, although I was impressed by the size of my room. But when booking online, I may have accidentally found an offer for a suite, I guess (just chosing the best budget option - there must have been some offers online).

The room had a balcony, kitchenette, bath/WC and two double beds. TV and desk as well as chairs rounded up a really nice stay. I would recommend this for anyone staying longer.
Of course, the room was clean, tidy and had everything I needed.

There's indoor parking, too, if you're in a standard car (the garage has height limit).

I didn't try the free breakfast as I was up early to get some photos and had breakfast in Halifax later.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
MONCTON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Average size rooms that are clean and reasonably priced for the area.
Staff is friendly, helpful and knowledgable .
We will not hesitate to stay here again

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Dartmouth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is, without hesitation, the dingiest hotel I have ever in my life stepped inside of. It is dark, musty, and every surface of the room seems dirty. Whatever architect designed the building should have his designation stripped; the building should be demolished to the ground and rebuilt with glass windows and enough light penetrating the rooms so that the cleaning staff can actually see what they are doing. I have no experience with the meals offered, but I can tell you the staff were appallingly rude. This is marginally better than laying a mildewed sleeping bag out on the sidewalk. And way more expensive. #massivefail

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great for last minute plans, pet friendly. We have stayed here several times over the past couple of years. Our most recent visit was on November 2, 2012. The hotel has become somewhat rundown since our last visit. Tub had rings of rust around the drain, and chipped and messy caulking in the bathroom, minor things overall. The mattress was pretty hard as well. They have a really affordable last minute deal and a free breakfast (cereal, muffins, fruit, coffee, juice). We will continue to stay here when we visit the Halifax area.

Amherst, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here for one evening, Check in was a hassle. Have to pay room fee, we booked a king suite (160.00 ) plus a (200.00 ) safety deposit which was held on my credit card for 8 business days.
Besides that, we had a nice stay, nice kind size bed, small sitting room with pull out couch that had a nice view, bathroom was clean, but small. Bedding was clean. Room was recently painted and redone in a nice ( for hotel) decor. WE had a mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker. Nice flat screen tv. which was on a small dresser, so if you wanna watch tv from bed its a bit difficutl to see. The room had a ncie balcony with seating.
Overall it was a nice stay but i will stick to hotels that dont charge a 200.00 safety deposit for now on. (which i found is the case in every super 8 )

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Penetanguishene, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

The location was good, but the building was run down. I had to move rooms in the middle of the night because of water leaking on my head (could tell by looking at the ceiling that this was not new). the heating unit was full of crap from the ceiling. when I checked in my tub was dirty.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Dartmouth Oceanview Hotel? Share your experiences!