“DUMP!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Burnside Hotel

Burnside Hotel
You added Burnside Hotel to your Saves list
Burnside Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 Windmill Road, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia B3B 1C1, Canada   |
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Dartmouth
“DUMP!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011 via mobile

I was attending school in Dartmouth for a month and instead of travelling everyday from the valley I decided to book this motel for 4 weeks. The first night of my stay I found a used condom underneath my bed. I called the front desk and someone came by and picked it up. He said he had fired the lady who last cleaned the room. The rooms are dingy and stinky, the towels are basically rags, two lights were burnt out and I left a note for housekeeping and it was never repaired. Three weeks into my stay, an elderly lady was out in the hall drunk with nothing on but a green thong banging on the door next to mine. I went home for the weekend and left my laptop in my room and when I returned a few days later it was gone. The only people who would have been in my room would have been housekeeping. I talked to the manager and all he had to stay is that he trusted his housekeepers and that I must have been drunk and misplaced it. This might sound like a bogus story but I assure you this is 100% true. Do not stay at this sorry excuse of a motel. DUMP!!! Very angry

• Stayed November 2011
Seymor T, Guest Relations Manager at Burnside Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2014
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I apologize that your stay did not live up to your expectations. If you could please call me at 902-468-7117 to further discuss your stay it would be greatly appreciated.

Belleville, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

The rooms were plain which was ok because I was there to see family anyways. But a parcel was left for me at the front desk. I was not notified of this at any time when I was at the front desk or at my room during the week, even when I checked out I still was not told of the parcel being there. Then instead of getting the parcel, it disappeared magically and they had no clue what happened to it. It just grew legs and vanished from behind the front desk. The hotel did nothing to make amends for this happening also.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Sydney, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

When I got in to my room the first thing I noticed is that it stunk. The carpets were dirty the bathrooms were dirty but the worst part was when I went to go to bed there were pubic hairs all over the bed. They wouldn't even give us a refund the next day. I'm pretty sure this hotel is used for prostitutes. I recommend no one take their family there.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Calgary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

I prebooked this place for the end of our 2 week stay in Nova Scotia as it was going to be economical - about $79/night for a queen room. I wasn't surprised that it was shabby and older, and a bit noisy out front due to the busy street.
However, our queen room was no longer available and we had to take a double room. We got to the room and it was dirty! A gum wrapper on the bed, dirt on the carpet, a stained towel, and hair on the bathroom floor behind the door, also in the tub and on the plug for the tub!!
Stayed there long enough to book a better motel nearby. We told the desk clerk we couldn't stay because of the above cleanliness problems, and he apologized and gave me a slip of paper showing no charges/holds on my credit card.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

We stayed here ONE night on the Labour Day weekend this year because everything else was booked up. We had a non-smoking room that reeked of cigarette smoke and even had a long ash on the window (which we photographed). There were even grains of rice on the carpet under the table. The wallpaper was bubbled and peeling off in several places, the chairs were scruffy , well worn and the once red fabric was black. The bathroom was 60's to 70's style, we had 2 towels and 2 facecloths for 4 people and they were frayed and worn out. There was an ant problem but management had a bulletin posted on the wall so we tried not to be upset by this alone. We notified the front desk and they offered another room on the first floor however we declined because we didn't feel safe being on the bottom level and we had already used the facilities before we discovered all of the flaws, plus more importantly we were leaving for an appointment. Believe me we slept in our clothes on our own blankets that night and left VERY EARLY the next morning. Further discussions with the front desk regarding a refund or credit because of the conditions only elicited the response to contact the owner. WELL... he was out of the country (I assume back in his native land) but then I was directed to contact his son the manger....well after many attempts and several conversations his last words to me were "to leave it with him and he'd get back to me"......that was October. I have yet to hear anything back and I don't expect to. I will continue to try just for the point of the matter. I hope their licence is revoked and anyone who recommends this place must either own it or be blind with no sense of smell or else never stayed in a room there.

• Liked — Lobby seemed impressive.
  • Disliked — The cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Edmonton, Alberta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

This place is HORRIBLE and does not even deserve 1 star! DO NOT stay here! There was body hair in one of the double beds, signs that they have an ant problem, yellow-stained blankets on beds, hair in the towels and horrible service. WAY over-priced. The rooms stink. The best part of this hotel is the water pressure but I was too grossed out to shower so we left as early as we could in the morning. We only stayed there because the airport tourism desk said there was nothing else available and booked us here. We've stayed at 4 star B&Bs in Nova Scotia for cheaper than this dive-hole. If you really want to know how I really feel, this place should be plowed over and redeveloped.

• Liked — We got to leave early.
  • Disliked — Everything - especially the body hair in the bed
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
yarmouth ns
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2008

this is the worst hotel/motel i ever stayed in . i travell all over the maritmes for work and stay in alot of motels and this is by far the worst one in the maritimes.
1.theire is a swingers party once a week just above the office.
2. the cleaning lady was smoking drugs behind the establishment .
3.the rooms smell like smoke ,even in the non -smoking rooms.
4.the food in the restaurant was terrible,and the buffet was cold.
5.the carpets in the rooms are filthy.
6. I stayed there for two weeks and the cleaning lady only cleaned the room 4 times i was not impressed.

If you visit halifax/dartmouth stay away from the burnside hotel
or you will be sorry!!......

• Liked — only place available at the time
  • Disliked — everything, especially the price!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seymor T, Guest Relations Manager at Burnside Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Makes a me wonder why a person that stay’s in a lot of hotel’s would actually continue their stay for 2 weeks in a place as they describe it.

Been to Burnside Hotel? Share your experiences!