“Great View!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Cape Breton, NS
“Great View!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

this restaurant has an absolutely wonderful view.....hubby is a big seafood fan, but sadly, I am not. There is not much on the menu for those of us who don't enjoy seafood but I can usually find a thing or two. Its a very nice place and the meals I have had there have been good.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Sydney, Canada
“Surprised to be disappointed...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I've always had great experiences at Flavor's other 2 locations, but the both times at Flavor On the Water left me pretty disappointed.

The first time I was there for sit-down service, and ordered the lentil-portabello burger. There wasn't, however, any portabello on my burger... they had to make me a new one, which was fine except that everyone was done eating by the time I got my new burger. It was really good once remedied, at least. I'd still give it a 3 or 4 based on that experience since it was probably an honest (though odd) mistake.

For the second visit, my husband and I ordered take out so we could enjoy our food on the boardwalk for a change. Perhaps that was the problem? When I called, they said it would be 15 minutes tops. We arrived after 15 minutes and still waited 10+, but that was likely the server's fault, not the chef's for underestimating. I didn't add a tip where usually I'd add at least a small one, even for takeout, if the service was quick.

My husband ordered the Thai coconut curry, which was actually very flavourful and delicious, though unbearably rich/greasy for me. I'm glad I was only tasting it! He didn't eat all of it as it was sitting in a puddle of oil at the bottom. I ordered the butternut squash bisque and the pita chips with beet/goat cheese hummus. I ate the pita/hummus first, and knew immediately that there was not NEARLY enough hummus for the amount of chips--and I think the amount of chips was fair considering the dish was $10. My hummus was in a tiny black plastic condiment cup, and wasn't even filled to the top. It was tasty, but I wish I had had enough for more than half my chips (and I was being as scant as possible knowing I'd run out). Perhaps you get more when you eat in, but considering I'm paying full price I should be getting the same amount/quality of food. As for the "bisque", my understanding was that a bisque is creamy. This was vegan, so I assumed coconut milk/cream would be involved as it usually pairs well with squash. My soup was essentially broth, absolutely LOADED with nutmeg/allspice/etc., I assume to hide the fact that the soup was otherwise pretty bland. I felt like I got the bottom of the pot, and there wasn't quite enough for a full bowl so they diluted it with water and threw in extra spice. I took one spoonful and knew I'd be taking it home to try and "fix" it to make it edible. I shouldn't have to do that with a $6 bowl of soup. Also, there wasn't a hint of creaminess in the bisque, so either they forgot it or they don't know what a bisque is. At home I added more pureed butternut squash I had frozen, some canned coconut milk, some balsamic glaze, a splash of orange juice, and a bit of salt. It was a million times better, but again, I shouldn't have to do that to my restaurant food. I wish I had taken it back in retrospect. The attached picture shows the amount of soup after only 2 spoonfuls being eaten. I hadn't doctored it at this point. This experience gets about a 2.

I'd LIKE to give Flavor On the Water another chance, especially to see if there are differences with the same dishes when eating in... just not sure if it's worth the risk or the money. I'll likely just stick with the other 2 locations, or give my business to the Olive Tree which hasn't let me down yet.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Burlington, Canada
“Great meal/service/view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

After flying in from Ontario on a Sunday night, my boyfriend and I decided to find a place for a light meal and ended up at Flavor on the Water and I am sure glad we did.

We were seated right by the window with a lovely view. Our server was very friendly and recommended things we might like to try. Not being very hungry, we split an order of mussels and an order of scallops as well as a bottle of white wine. Each plate was delicious. I especially enjoyed the mussels which spoiled us for pub fair the rest of the trip. It was a great way to kick off our East Coast vacation.

Visited July 2014
St. Peter's, Canada
“The folks at 'Flavor' have done it again!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Location: Check!
Food: Check! (The Beet & Goat cheese Hummus is to die for, and the Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake)
Service: Check!

My only complaint is that we were never offered a drink menu, I would have liked to order a cocktail and without the menu to browse I was hesitant. Can't wait to go back & hopefully get to sit on the balcony (weather permitting of course)

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nova Scotia
“Just what Sydney needed, wonderful restaurant in a beautiful, waterfront setting.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

The folks at Flavor have done it again. First, was their innovative, delicious original location, Flavor, on Pitt St. Next, they scored a hole-in-one with their inviting vibe, and yummy take on gourmet pub food fare at Flavor 19, at the Lingan Golf Club. With Flavor on the Water, they have given Sydney a perfect locale to enjoy our great, improved waterfront. The food is really good, and the menu is strongly influenced with Cape Breton ingredients and flair. My husband enjoyed his scallop appetizer, and the kids LOVE the Flavor version of a real grilled cheese sandwich. The stuffed, crusted chicken was good - if you like BBQ sauce, their take on it will leave you satisfied! The kids and their Dad shared one dessert, and practically licked the plate at the end. Looking forward to come back for some patio time, and also to enjoy some of the excellent local talent who will be playing here over the summer months. Flo Sampson is especially entertaining. Looking forward to a return visit.

Visited June 2014