“Please beware of this hotel” 1 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   380 Esplanade, Sydney, Nova Scotia B1P 1B1, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Sydney
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cape Breton
“Please beware of this hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2008

I understand that all experiences are different... but this stay was so awful, I had to share it.... as I solely count on Trip Advisor reviews when booking any stay!!

I was thrilled that this hotel would accept my 2 dogs, as I love to take them when I travel.... and the hotel staff seemed so delighted to have us all there! We were booked on the "Gold Floor (which included turn down service, bottled water and a hot breakfast delivered to your door). I figured this was a treat, as we recently relocated to Cape Breton from Vancouver, BC, and have not had a "get away" for a few months. When we arrived, check in went smoothly. My husband and I went up to view the room.
Firstly, we were not informed that the hotel was going through renovations. There was garbage and old carpet everywhere. It was a bit of a fire hazard. We carried down the hall to our room, with nails and debris along the corridor. When we entered our room, it was nice to see a desk, a comfy bed and 2 flat screen tv's, but the wallpaper was peeling from the walls, and the celing in the bathroom was literally falling apart, and it was very outdated (hense the renos). In the am, our pre-ordered breakfast was never brought to us (I was attending training at the hospital, and needed the breakfast by a certain time - that was requested on my form), our room didnt not have coffee, the toiletries were half filled, and the boxes were empty. I spoke with the front desk, who seemed less than concerned about the issues. When I called down to cancel my pre-ordered breakfast, I asked them if someone can bring up some coffee packets for the coffee maker, and the staff told me I had to contact the restaurant. I dont know about you, but when you are paying $149.00 a night for a hotel, you would think that the staff would accomodate you for something this simple?!
Upon check out, the staff did not even apologize for the missed breakfast, or acknowledged their disservice. I placed a call to the manager, to talk about the lack of hosiptable service, and she was less than concerned about the visit. This explains the staff reaction.
The manager informed me that she would contact me that evening or the next day to talk about a rate decrease... and it is now 2 days after the fact, with no phone call.
I am hoping that this story will alert folks to the unprofessional, discourtious service that is provided by the Cambridge Suites.
TRY THE DELTA!!!! And they also take pets!!
Thanks for listening!

• Liked — Checking out.
  • Disliked — Service, unprofessional staff and management.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
St. John's, NL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2008

Overall, excellent hotel for Sydney (probably the best). They are doing some renovations/updating right now - but parts of hotel that are open are in excellent shape.

Great staff - chamber maids extra friendly!!

The "gym" needs work - most of the equipment pictured in their advertisements is either missing or broken.

Price seemed great for the quality of the facilities (though I was getting a business discount of $109/night)

• Liked — The room itself - large, clean, comfortable - and Aveda products (shampoo, soap...)
  • Disliked — Gym - not really safe, barely functional
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

We spent 2 nights here in August 2007. 2 adults and 4 children (ages 19, 15, 10, 7). We weren't expecting much from this hotel and it met our expectations. the carpets, fixtures and furniture are worn. It reminded me of every hotel I've every stayed at for one of my kids' out-of-town hockey tournaments. It was basically just a place to sleep at night.

The continental breakfast was very good, but the sitting area was too small to accommodate the number of hotel guests.

I was ticked off at the front desk manager when we asked about a family-style restaurant. She really pushed the hotel restaurant, but we'd already looked at the menu and it didn't appeal to us. She told us the only other place to find a family restaurant was on the "fast-food strip" across town. I understand that it might be hotel policy to promote your own restaurant, but customer service should come first. Eventually, we found a likely place (Joe's Warehouse) from the Yellow Pages and found that it was 1/2 block away from the hotel! Joe's Warehouse was very busy and we had an excellent meal (I recommend the spaghetti carbonara).

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2007

Stayed for 3 nights at the Cambridge Suites Sydney. Overall, a good hotel. We had a 1 bedroom suite, king bed in bedroom, doors that close separating it from living area with pull out sofa. Only 1 TV , you can turn it to face living room or bedroom, its a bit awkward, but it works. Bed comfy, duvet with triple sheeting, sofa bed good for kids. Large room with microwave, coffe pot, small fridge, kettle, toaster, dishes, wet bar sink. All great for a long stay.
Shower and toilet in separate room from sink and vanity, 2 closets. Room itself was great. Housekeeping staff excellent.

Now , for the not so great. Really SLOW ELEVATORS. Only 2 elevators, staff with carts in elevators so I assume there is no service elevator. The hallway is a wind tunnel. I don't know why, but there are vents in the hall blowing so much air my "privacy please" sign would not stay on the door knob. All of this I could easily forgive if not for the BREAKFAST FIASCO. OK, so there is complimentary continetal breakfast included with room rate, its "complimentary" but really you pay for it in the rate. Sunday morning, hotel must have been full, breakfast busy- NO COFFEE CUPS - not a one. I can understand if there are no muffins left, but come on, coffee cups. If you offer continental breakfast, have staff replenishing it. At least give your guests the coffee. Twenty minutes later, still no coffee cups. The breakfast was skimpy all 3 days I was there. I think they put out 1 tray of muffins, 1 of bagels etc and when its gone, you lose. This is unacceptable. Had there been no breakfast offered with the room, I would have left feeling happy and wishing to return to this hotel. However, I left feeling like this hotel does not care about their guests. Its a shame, because the rest of my hotel experience here was good.

I don't mean to make such a big deal about the breakfast, it was a small part of the stay but made me feel like the htoel says "OK, we have your money, so now we will give you lousy service.

• Liked — large room
  • Disliked — sorry excuse for complimentary continental breakfast
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Yarmouth, NS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2007

When my husband was transfered by his company to Sydney in 2001, we stayed for nearly 6 months (Feb.-July) at the hotel. We found the staff to be very helpful, the breakfast was good. They lady that was
assigned to clean our room, Wendy was an excllent employee and did a great job. I looked forward to chatting with her everyday. We had some BBQ on the deck and we enjoyed staying on the waterfront. I do think that they should put two televisions in the room as it was annoying to have a big hole in your bedroom wall, espically when we had people visting and staying on the couch in the living room part.

• Liked — The location on the waterfront
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
Nova Scotia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2007

My husband, I and two young children stayed at the Cambridge Suites a couple of years ago for Easter weekend. The staff was very friendly, the rooms were clean and the hotel was quiet. If you book one of their specials, which we did, you get lots of extra goodies while you stay (gift certificates for the movie theatre, free bowling, milk and cookies at bedtime for the kids, free in-room video game...etc). They also gave the kids chocolate bunnies as an Easter present.

We assumed the hotel was quiet because there weren't very many people there that weekend, but we stayed again over Christmas vacation 2006 and even though there were more people staying, it was pretty much just as quiet.

• Liked — It was quiet.
  • Disliked — No pool
  • Stayed March 2005, traveled with family
Halifax, NS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2006

Stayed Wednesday and Thursday night in a one bedroom suite. The room itself was nice and appeared neat and clean. The cavity in the wall between the bedroom and the living area where the TV stood was slightly annoying, and it sure would have been nice to have a TV for each room. There was a fridge but the ice cube tray did not fit in the freezer. The bathroom was a little dark but overall fairly clean and useable -- fancy Aveda bathroom products as well. The eighth floor room was nice and quiet except for when it got windy. Very comfortable bed.

The package included meat which one could barbeque on the rooftop patio. Nice idea except that the rooftop patio was a mess -- dirty, no garbage cans, and leftover lobster strewn all about -- all in all it was difficult to enjoy the cooking process. Did not take advantage on the second night.

Continental breakfest is complimentary with all rooms. It was okay. Unless you arrive there early enough, you are left with little variety. It's nice that the hotel provides trays so that guests can take food up to their rooms, especially since the eating area is very small, but this encourages 'grab and run' behaviour. Ran out of coffee. Generic joe available all day long would be nice and most likelly not break the bank. The orange juice was a step down from tang.

Would stay there again but not for $130 a night.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Cambridge Suites - Sydney? Share your experiences!