“Best seafood chowder” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
New Canaan, CT
“Best seafood chowder”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

On a rainy evening, we were looking for a warm friendly place to dine and discovered Governors. Ambiance was perfect, wait staff knowledgeable, and the seafood chowder was the best I have ever had--chunks of halibut, shrimp, and haddock! Almost a stew! Fresh and full of flavor. Dinner was so good we repeated the experience the next night.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

69% Recommend
Tucson, Arizona
“Excellent Pub and Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Great service and food. Had the fish and chips. Great beer selection. Go early it fills up fast. I liked the food and service. It became too crowded before we left.

Visited July 2013
Pickering, Canada
“Worth the wait”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Conveniently located. Nice view. Although we could get a table, it was at least an hour wait for food. We appreciated both the hostess and the wait staff that informed us of this so we could choose to leave. They operate the upper floor as a pub and the main floor as a restaurant. The menus are slightly different. We chose the pub and all 5 of us were happy with our meals. Would recommend the Cape Breton Island salad with the maple dressing. I was worried about the dressing but it was delicious. I had the cream variety but there is also a balsamic variety for those who don't like cream dressings. The basement houses the restrooms and you can see the rough hewn stones of the foundation. It has character. The home has history. We would highly recommend.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Newmarket, Canada
“Just okay...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We were recommended this restaurant by a Sydney man we met at a social gathering. He gave rave reviews for it, saying that it was a must-eat place. The food was okay, portion sizes small - I had an entrée salad, which was smaller than some side salads you get at other restaurants, and the prices were high considering the portion size. My salad was $9 without meat, and I ended up going down the street to the chip stand to fill up after leaving.

Visited August 2013
Nashua, New Hampshire
“Didn't even make it to the table”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and I stopped by this pub to enjoy some live music and a beer while our cruise ship was in port. The restaurant had both indoor and outdoor seating with the bar and music being upstairs. After deciding that the upstairs was too loud we decided to put our name on the list to get a table. The hostess was preoccupied in other tasks and had a long line of people just waiting to get their name on the wait list. When servers were trying to get outside with food, she yelled at the people saying they couldn't wait for their table inside, even though we didn't even have our names on the wait list.

When we finally got to out our name on the list, we requested an indoor seat downstairs so we could hear the music (and because the wait to sit outside was rather long). When she finally called to seat us she began to bring us outside, she noticed that there was a server behind us while she was leading us out the door and she pushed my aside in favor of letting the server go by. I apologized and said that I was part of the party she was trying to seat, as my in-laws were ahead of her. She chastised me for it. I calmly told my husband that I wanted to leave. The hostess told me she didn't need my attitude.

We left and my in-laws stayed. They said he service was slow and the waitress didn't even know what they had on tap. I was very disappointed in the service and the unapologetic nature of the hostess because the music really was nice and something I wanted to enjoy.

• Visited July 2013