“A beautiful drive around the Cape” 5 of 5 stars

Cabot Trail
Nova Scotia, Canada
Improve this listing
Type: Scenic Drives, Hiking Trails
Activities: Group tours/bus tour, Whale watching, Kayaking, Driving, Camping, Hiking
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: One of the most magnificent loop drives in North America treats visitors to the spectacular scenery of the Cape Breton Highlands.
Louisiana
81 attraction reviews
“A beautiful drive around the Cape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We had read how beautiful this drive was. You have to experience it to really understand how beautiful it is. The foliage was in its prime and breathtaking. Something we will cherish for a lifetime.

• Korean first
South Florida
49 attraction reviews
“Don Blackwood Tours on the Cabot Trail”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Six of us went on a tour with Don Blackwood while in port on a cruise. We knew that we wouldn't get to see much of the Cabot Trail because of the short time we were in port; but wanted to see it anyway. Don's van had an excellent sound system, so that those in the back seat were able to hear all of the valuable info that he provided. Since Don was the former Head of Tourism for Cape Breton Island, we assumed he would know everything about the Island and we were correct. He is a true professional and regularly asked us if we wanted to stop for photos. He pointed out interesting things all along the tour and was just a pleasure to spend the day with. It left us hankering for more. I hope that some day we can do the whole Cabot Trail with Don.

Westmount, Quebec, Canada
16 attraction reviews
“Stunning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I have been coming to Nova Scotia for years. One of the attractions is the Cabot Trail. This year was one of the first times that we had perfect weather for the entire duration. The skies were clear and blue. No clouds anywhere just about. The views along the highway of the ocean and coast line are stunning. We did plenty of hiking, though not as much as other years. We always try to do at least one or 2 new trails every time we come here. The Skyline trail is a must to stop. The views at the end of the 4km walk are stunning.

There are plenty of lookout points along the route that offer incredible views. Some good restaurants and accommodations along the way. While it is technically possible to do the entire trail in 1 day, I highly recommend spending at a minimum 1 night somewhere along the way to be able to properly appreciate the area.

I tend to do the trail clockwise. Though as another person mentioned, it would make for a nice change to go counterclockwise. Either way, the views are incredible and plenty to see and do. In my case I would go CCW the next time because I find that i am always missing out on the end stuff. I spend too much time seeing the stuff at the beginning that I do not leave enough time to see the stuff at the end.

Spending a night in Pleasant Bay is the ideal place to stop because it is approximately the mid point. Most of everything (along the trail) closes down towards the 3rd week of October for the season. If a trip is being planned, make sure that it is done before this time. Call ahead to make sure that restaurants and accommodations are still open once you are in the park.

Toronto, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“Beyond beautiful, some of the scenes are out of this world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We did the Cabot Trail in Fall (early October) in an RV. We drove clockwise from Cheticamp. A straight drive from Cheticamp to Ingonish may take 2-3 hours, and would defeat the purpose of visiting Cape Breton. We covered the cabot trail in three days and I wish we still had more time to hike some of the hiking trails. On the last minute, I ditched the Acadian, Franey and Lone Sheiling due to itinerary conflicts with others on our team. If fate allows, I will one day visit once again.

The cabot trail offers some glorious views of the nature in full splendor, the large rocks and mountains with their majestic might, standing proud over great swaths of blue ocean. It is paradise on earth. Must visit.

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
“The Cabot Trail -- The Perfect drive for you and your Family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We did the cabot trail October 13th. During the fall the colour are amazing I have no words to describe how beautiful it was. We couldn't get a better weather than what we got Sunny Sunny Sunny. It took 8 hours to do all the trail for us but we didn't stop at every places trust me the ride could be more longer than that.There are a lot of nice spots that you can stop to take some pictures on the cabot trail also if you like hiking with the huge National Park you will find a lot of good spots. Our trip to the Cap breton wouldn't be the same without the Cabot Trail. I would recommend it to everybody. We had a great time to do it.