“totally satisfied” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Antigonish
Halifax, Canada
“totally satisfied”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

We (husband, daughter and grandson) reserved two rooms (side by side) on New Year's Eve to attend a wedding of long time friends' daughter. We all had a wonderful time, got to splash in the pool twice, the event was most enjoyable as well as the food that was served throughout the evening.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

48 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011 via mobile

Styed here on. Business and had no real problems. Room was clean with some renovations but the facility is a little dated in spots.

The halls all had a musty smell but the room was fine.

Biggest plus were the staff who's were genuinely down home friendly.

• Stayed August 2011
, Owner at Claymore Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel and services. We will continue to make improvements to our property. I am especially pleased that you were impressed with the hospitality of our staff. They are our most important asset.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

I was a little apprehensive about staying here when I had read the other review on TripAdvisor but, we were pleasantly surprised by the Claymore Inn! It proved to be the perfect spot for our vacation.

We were within walking distance of St. F. X University and close to restaurants and grocery stores. The room was nice and clean and the staff was very friendly. We enjoyed having our breakfast at the Justamere Cafe attached to the hotel and found the breakfasts there to be really good!

It has been recently renovated as well. If we go back to Antigonish I would for sure choose the Claymore Inn!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Central California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

We were apprehensive about staying in the Claymore after reading negative comments on line, but we found the negative comments to be totally untrue.
We found the rooms to be be clean, quiet, comfortable and welcoming. We found the staff to be cheerful and accomodating in every way.
As an added bonus, this is a "green" hotel so it's great for people with allergies and safer for children and babies.
The restaurant in the hotel is one of the highest regarded places to eat in town--many locals suggested it to us, and we agree. They are also allergy concious and incredibly accomodating and pleasant.
The hotel is located right in a large shopping center, near several other restaurants and walking distance to downtown Antigonish.
We stayed over a week, and we had 2 rooms, so we feel we had a good look at the place. We highly recommend the Claymore and the restaurant. The staff in both places made all of us (we had 2 rooms) feel at home. Well done.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Nelson, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

Stayed one night. Lots of shouting down the corridor at 2.30am and again at 7.30. Room poor. squashed bug in elevator. Not cheap. Avoid if you can.
On the other hand the restaurant was good, both for dinner and breakfast.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
, Owner at Claymore Inn, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I am sorry that our performance was not up to standard and especially that you were disturbed by excessive noise by other guests. If you had registered your complaint with the front desk staff at the time, we would have addressed the problems right away and if you were not satisfied with our remedies, you could have taken advantage of our discount policy. With regard to your photograph of the bug on the otherwise clean floor of the elevator, I commend your abilities for close up shots but I think a picture of the problem guest room would have been more helpful for our purposes. Because of your comments the management has undertaken to be more diligent in the room inspection program.

Since your stay with us, I am happy to advise the we have undergone extensive renovations to all of our guest rooms and I hope that you will consider giving us a second chance sometime in the future. Thanking you again for your comments, I remain,

Sincerely
Halifax, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

I recently stayed one night at Claymore for a kids hockey tournament and was charged $129.00 for a room with one queen size bed. Luckily, there was just my 9 yr old son with me . Others guests in the Inn were trying to secure one of four cotts. I was not told by Claymore staff that they attach a security deposit to their room rates and that I would be entitled to a refund assuming we did not damage the property. I found this out later by the manager of my son's hockey team. The kids were instructed they had a 9:30 curfew. At 9:00 pm two elderly people at the end of the hall appeared and started screaming about the noise and then called the local detachment of the RCMP. The teenage girl working the desk was simply not mature enough to be running a hotel. No one on staff informed us of any problems prior to the seniors yelling at us . The mounties came. It was quiet by 9:15 as kids were in their rooms crying, fearful parents were going to jail. In the morning I noticed a flyer at the front desk advertising the Claymore Inn as a hotel and SENIORS apartment. Which are they ? I suspect their loyalty lies with the elderly couple even though we brought twice as much money in one night as their couple does in one month. The problem is the Claymore is the only show in town. Next year I will happily take my money and stay in New Glasgow, satisfied that I am also earning loyaly points from a REAL hotel who is not confused about the service they provide and who their customer is. P.S. There was no damage and no damage deposit refund. The restaurant opens to late in the morning to be of any use. Drive to New Glasgow!!!!

Room Tip: Ask to be placed away from tenants
  • Stayed March 2011
, Owner at Claymore Inn, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
I regret that these guests left unsatisfied but I would like to take this opportunity to correct a few errors in the comments provided.. The apartment building advertised as being 'ideal for seniors' is a separate structure located one hundred yards away from the main hotel. The elderly guests who phoned the police felt that they were justified in doing so. There was no retention of a damage deposit but rather the team members did not receive a discounted rate because they breached several of the articles of the 'Sports Team Policy' which thy signed in advance. The following is a report submitted by our Guest Service Agent with regard to the incident in question.

“ Earlier in the evening there were children running around and yelling up and down the stairs. I approached them and asked them politely to stop being so loud and explained to them that if they are too noisy their Moms and Dads won't be happy because they won't get their discount. I asked the children where their parents were and they said at the liquor store. They also said they were with the Bedford Blues team. As parents started coming in from the liquor store I heard three men who came in with 2-4's of beer, say,”We'll show them how it's done; the parents get drunk and watch their kids play mini sticks” There were complaints from second floor about noise which I checked immediately but when I checked there was no noise on second floor, it was coming from first floor. When I checked first floor the entire hallway was full of parents drinking and talking loudly and children yelling and playing mini sticks. I approached Mrs. Vardy about the complaints and told her this was totally unacceptable. She responded calmly that they would go into their rooms and it was only early and the kids were just having fun. I returned to the desk after she assured me they would quieten down. Then about five minutes later I received more complaints from second floor threatening to either leave the hotel if the noise did not stop or else they were going to call the police. Then came complaints from first floor indicating that they felt threatened by what they described as absurd noice in their hallway and they said if it wasn't stopped they were going to call the police. I returned to the first floor hallway and there was no change, it may have even gotten louder. I told Mrs. Vardy this was totally unacceptable and that they must enter their rooms with the drinks and stop playing mini sticks. I told her that people were threteaning to call the police. I pretty much had to yell as there was so much noise from the laughing and playing. One lady responded by saying, “Call the police, we don't care”. Guests, not with the team, from first floor told them they were being totally disrespectful of other guests. This caused no change. I repeated that none of this was acceptable behavior and then a guest made me aware that they had called the police. When they heard this they pretty much dispursed. After I returned to the
desk, Mrs. Vardy approached me with the team policy pointing out that quiet time was not until
10 pm. I pointed and read to her the note just below it stating:

“Quiet hours are from 10 pm till 8 am
Excessive noise will not be tolerated any time of the day
Roughhousing, running, yelling, screaming or game playing in halls or stairways will
not be tolerated.
Sticks, bats and balls are not permitted in guest rooms”.
We are still very welcoming of the sports teams who have demonstrated consideration for our other guests.

Ingonish Beach
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

It was a nasty winter night so I decided to pull off the highway and treat myself to a night at the Claymore in Antigonish where I could tuck in and enjoy a good meal. On checking in they would not honor any discounts and I have them all - AAA, you name it. The restaurant wqs closed for the night so they directed me to Boston Pizza near by. Not exactly what I had in mind. The room was cold because the thermostat was left at 60 degrees. On closer examination my breakfast coupon was limited to $7. There is a coffee maker in the room but I had to go to the front desk to get a decaf. I brought these things to the attention of the front desk and all I got was a shrug of the sholder.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
, Owner at Claymore Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us in February 2011. I do not understand why you were not offered a discount since we give AAA/CAA as well as senior citizens discounts. I apologize if these were not extended to you. I regret that at that time our restaurant was not opened for your breakfast on a Monday morning but we now offer breakfast seven days a week. If you should decide to give us another chance, I am sure you will be pleased with the extensive renovations to our facility since your last stay

Owner

Been to Claymore Inn? Share your experiences!