“Well worth a visit” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Melbourne, Australia
“Well worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Awesome food and a great and unique atmosphere. A must to visit if you're planning a trip to Yellowknife!

Visited January 2014

72% Recommend
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ikaluktutiak, Nunavut, Canada
“Pleasant surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I have never been a big fan of fish until now! The white fish I had was like a plethora of flavours exploding in my mouth.

I was very surprised with the bistro and was hesitant to go. I am sure happy with my decision and
Look forward to visiting again when I next return to Yellowknife. Portions were also an excellent size.

• Visited March 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Old time eating in Old Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

How are you supposed to feel when you spend $40 on a meal of Arctic char, homemade fries, and a salad, in an old cabin of a restaurant on a chilly night in January? Pretty good, in my view. The food is made simply, is completely fresh, and was simply delicious. The grilled char was a sizable piece of fish, and they had malt vinegar to flavour the generous pile of french fries, and the home-made dressings, which they brought to the table for you to apply, were yummy. The waitress recommended combining the feta and the herb dressings - good idea, it turned out. So for a couple of hours as a visitor I felt I have ventured inside the real world of life in Old Town, Yellowknife, rather than being in one of those transitional spaces that cater to the presumed interests and appetites of the stereotypic traveler, and was experiencing life and food on the friendly terms that folks in Yellowknife like to take it. The building, from 1936, qualifies as a heritage building. The walls inside are filled with messages, names, initial, quotes and other graffiti. A happy and memorable experience!

• Visited January 2014
Edmonton, Canada
“Home cooking, home attitude, home run!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Straight off the charts for the best fried fish that I've ever eaten in a restaurant. Bullocks is run by Sam and Renate Bullock. He's a native of the area and Renate has lived in Yellowknife for many years. Sam sources only fish caught in the north and he and an assistant hand filet every piece in the filleting room upstairs. From there the fish is taken straight downstairs, dredged in flour and pan fried to order in butter just like home or camping.

I grew up on the north coast of B.C. in the fishing industry and quite frankly, I've seen enough fish in my life to do just fine thank you. Bullocks has awakened my love of fish anew. The fries are hand cut right in front of you and the salad is made with Renates incredible soy dressing.

We spend 4 or 5 days each summer just hanging around Yellowknife. We eat at Bullocks for EVERY meal and a lunch or two. There are a few other decent dining choices in Yellowknife but NONE serves authentic cuisine like Bullocks. It's simple, delicious and the ricing is in keeping with what you pay in the north.

Oh.. er... um... yes, there is that sticky issue of the staff.. its what I call "Home attitude" in other words, if you act like you are right at home so will they. The staff are like good parents, be really nice, mind your manners and they are fabulous. Misbehave and they is too busy to put up with your bad manners. I love them all.

If you don't eat at Bullocks you are missing out on one of the most unique and maybe most delicious dining experiences anywhere. If you have dined there and did not have the time of your life then refer to the last paragraph and mind your manners next time!

• Visited June 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
“Amazing Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I went to this place twice in a week during a business trip in Yellowknife. I had heard the service was not the greatest but I had no problem at all. In fact, I quite enjoyed the service. Let me explain....

If you are coming here and expecting to be waited on and provided everything on a silver platter, then this is not the place to come.

If you are however coming to a place for delicious food and fun atmosphere then this is the place! The physical building is quite small so you may have to sit with strangers. No problem for me, in fact, it is a great way to meet people if you are travelling alone. True, I had to get my own water, but I didn't care about that. It did not lessen my experience at all. The walls, ceilings, etc are completely covered in signatures and business cards from people all over the world that have travelled here to eat. I loved it.

To address the matter of pricing, yes it is expensive. They do have a menu which has the prices on it, you just have to request it. The prices are high, but the food is worth it. If you are used to Northern pricing, then it is normal, but if you are coming from somewhere else in Canada it may seem high when in reality, it is on par with most Northern communities.

All in all, a great experience. I love the staff there. They may be abrupt, but they are very friendly if you are friendly to them. I will definitely visit here again when I return for business.

• Visited January 2014