“Not what I call 'Bed & Breakfast'” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Embleton House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yellowknife
Embleton House Bed and Breakfast
You added Embleton House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
5203 52-St, Yellowknife, Northwest Territories X1A 1T8, Canada   |
Ranked #7 of 18 Yellowknife B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Not what I call 'Bed & Breakfast'”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Most of the pictures are supplied by the management and gloss over the basics. There were so many rules and regulations posted around the house, it felt like being back in school. It is convenient for the centre of town and it was very clean - but I have NEVER stayed in a 'bed and breakfast' where you had to get your own breakfast - and from a pretty mediocre selection of food. We had to ask for replenishments more than once. You have to pass thru the kitchen to get to the bathroom! The house smelled of cigarette smoke; OK if you smoke I guess! VERY expensive for what it offered, but Canada is expensive. Nothing at all like a friendly B&B in Britain and Europe.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Arctic-Rose, Owner at Embleton House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
In regards to our Shared guest B&B apartment “A” at Embleton House: The majority of our guest fined our self-service breakfast at a time they choose works for them. Many of our guest depart between 4 and 5 Am or arrival on very late night flights. In winter a majority of guests are out most of the night aurora watching until 3 AM and sometimes later. A self-serve breakfast allows you to eat what you want, way you want, whenever you want. Other folk’s half special diets and they supply what they want and cook it. Others do not want to eat with strangers. Our experience tells us this breakfast works, as opposed to getting up after a late night at a set time or missing breakfast all together. In short a majority of our guests find this most convenient.
I am sorry you had to ask for supplies. We replenish groceries every day but there is always an individual who feels they have the right to eat three times what most folks do just because it is included in the price. This is why we tell everyone if you need something just like at home please ask.
We offer the following food choices for breakfast: of 3 kinds of cold cereal, assorted hot cereals, eggs, bacon, white/ brown bread fresh fruit, juice, milk and coffee hot chocolate, Jam, peanut butter.
We invite guests to purchase other foods and cook lunch an supper if they wish. Sometimes our guess utilise this offer to the max. It saves them money. Due to this just like home those who use the kitchen clean after cooking. So other guests can find the kitchen clean.
The sign posted on line are meant as a guideline to avoid uncomfortable situations in the kitchen and bathroom. The signs are not meant to offend but are there to set expectations. This B&B is not in my personal home but is fully guest occupied so I am not there all day every-day. Regardless what the situations there are those who need those reminders to help ensure other guests like you have a more comfortable stay. We consider our signs no different than the buckle up signs you see on the highway. They are not necessarily for everyone. Over 14 years of business and approximately 1500 guests a year you are only the second person offended by the fact that there are expectation posted which I agree are common sense.
Smelled smoking in the house!! -Not- true! l. Everyone smokes outside. Occasionally there is a smoker and yes we can smell smoke on them when they come in from outdoors. We have no control over that. When guest voice their concern to us about anything we bend over backwards to dealt with the concern. There is a $300 fine for anyone found smoking in our B&B. This is used to cover cleaning costs.
As for our rates in the shared accommodation: A single occupancy rate of $86 per night+ GST is cheap. I checked my records for an email from Peter C so I could email him directly. I found no one by that name on our register for Oct 2013. Sorry Peter for replying here but since you did not come and tell us these things in person there was no chance of me replying to you in person. I regret that!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Absolutely the BEST B&B ever!!! Ken and Faith are very nice and patient hosts and really provided us a lot of help and information. They even have a closet which has many snowpants, coats, boots and socks for those ppl who need them, for free!
The room and self-service breakfast were fantastic. The decorations were beautiful and the security was good. Every door had either a key or an individual security code.

We had five ppl so we booked one suite for three and one private room for two other. And no doubt I will recommend Embleton B&B to every of my friends who wants to have a trip to Yellowknife!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed three nights in Embleton House Bed and Breakfast. I really enjoyed everything there. The rooms were clean and the location is very conviencent. The owners Ken and Faith are extremely friendly and sweet. They took us to experience the ice road and helped us save the taxi money by giving us free rides sometimes. When we left, they even burned us a CD of pretty aurora pictures. I recommend this Bed and breakfast to everyone. :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My 2nd visit to Embleton House, I was so happy after my first stay it was a no brainer when I flew to Yellowknife. Again Ken and Faith went out of their way to be helpful and REALLY look after me - I felt like family. I love that the place is so clean and well maintained. Plenty of information on local tours/resturants and things to do in the main enterance. There is also a computer in the room so its easy to keep on top of work and a wonderful Jacuzzi for when you've had enough. The private suites are wonderful, I did see the none private rooms too and its very nice great for a family or group to have the shared kitchen stc. If your there for a long stay there are laundry facilites.Great location and easy access to just about everything.

Room Tip: There are two sides to the accommodations at Embleton - "B" Suites are all private-meaning...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Yellowknife, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

If you are looking for the best accommodation value combined with absolutely wonderful northern hospitality, Embleton House is the place to stay. Ken and Faith are the friendliest and most helpful hosts who really make an extra effort to help you have the best possible time you can have. I stayed with them for 10 days while waiting for an apartment this past winter. it really felt like home. Suites and rooms have cooking facilities available which can save a lot of money as eating out is expensive in Yellowknife. Cooking at Embleton House means with a stove, not a microwave, which is especially nice for winter visits. It's very close to downtown, only a few minutes long walk. Very clean, quiet, and cheerful. I will highly recommend Embleton House to anyone I know who wants to visit Yellowknife. .Great memories there, that's for sure. It's B&B at it's finest in every way!

Room Tip: The suites are luxurious with great bed, full cooking facilities and table and chairs, jet tub, show...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I have stayed at Embleton House twice------once in the summer in a suite,and more recently this winter in a room downstairs. Faith and Ken are both excellent hosts. The entire house is spotless and fixed up so tastefully. There is lots of room to store belongings. During my recent stay there was a problem with water leaking in their part of the house. While they worked dilligently and for many hours to get the problem resolved, there was never any disruption experienced by me and although they had worked on the shared kitchen's ceiling the kitchen was always left immaculately. Indeed they felt so badly about the problem that they charged the other guest who was downstairs and me only half of the regular cost for our stay. This just shows the type of people they are and how much they want everyone to have a great stay at Embleton House! What a shame there are not more hosts like them!

Room Tip: Obviously the suites are nicer to be in if there are two or more of you.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Stayed here some time ago but wanted to comment on our stay here. Our room was fantastic with a lot of extra's - computer in room, jet tub, well stocked fridge. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and hosts were awesome. Hope to be back sometime.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Embleton House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!