“I will never stay here again.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Arnica Inn

Arnica Inn
You added Arnica Inn to your Saves list
Arnica Inn
4115 Franklin Ave, Yellowknife, Northwest Territories X1A 2N4, Canada (Formerly Red Coach Inn)   |
Ranked #13 of 15 Yellowknife B&B and Inns
Joplin, Missouri, United States
“I will never stay here again.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The Arnica Inn has not been kept up. My non smoking room smelled like smoke. There was no heat and no hot water. The air vent in the bathroom rattled all night from the wind and the smoke detector right above the bed has flashing lights on it which makes it hard to fall asleep. They were kind enough to promise a refund. I travel extensively for a living and this is one of the worst places I have stayed. I do not recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Berlin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

The Arnica Inn features nice and spacious rooms. The visitors gets quite a lot for his money.
Hotel management and employees are very friendly.
I can warmly recommend the place and will surely book again, if I happen to be in YK again.

Room Tip: Room 211 is spacious and quiet. Highly recommended.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Saskatoon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Stayed here for work. When I arrived at 11:00pm the hotel was closed and I had to visit a room to obtain my key. No ID required.

Room did not have any heat, but I was able to remove the blankets from one bed and put them on the other to keep warm throughout the night. I informed hotel staff in the morning and they indicated it was a potential problem, but that it would be fixed. By 4pm that day the heat had returned to the room, but it never got comfortably warm - just warm enough. I was on the plane with another fellow who had experienced the same heating problem a month before.

The staff seemed really nice. I wasn't able to have my room cleaned for the 3 nights I was there because the cleaner only came at one time per day and I was in my room for those times.

Breakfast is comprised of bread, bagel, muffin, cold cereal, or yogurt. Choice of coffee or green tea.

Overall it wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are concerned about the heat then perhaps one of the 2 or 3 rooms in the hallway might be bet...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Charlottetown, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed at a recently renovated room and found it well appointed and comfortable. The bed was nice and firm, the sheets were high quality and the pillows were soft. The wireless worked well and was able to connect without trouble. I enjoyed the fact it was no smoking. I like the fact that my room was on the first floor and could keep an eye on my car.

I was happy with the selection of the breakfast items. and the room was clean and organized.

I would recommend staying at this hotel if you are coming to Yellowknife and want a clean safe place to stay.

Room Tip: If you are a smoker ask for a room on the first floor you can go right out your door and they have n...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

Here for a few days as a result of another hotel messing up our reservation. Basic old-style motor hotel with some upgrades, kitchenette was actually pretty decent, and the place was spotless, if a little frayed. If you want a concierge, go elsewhere, but if you want a basic place to stay with good cable selection and wireless, this place is surprisingly good value for the dollar.Also, you're a 10 minute walk to Downtown and oldtown, so great spot if you're not driving. Only complaint was the fry pan in my kitchenette was pretty much beat, but I'm sure thy'll fix it, as I know they read Trip Advisor.

• Stayed August 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

Every time I visit Yellowknife I stay in a different place. On this latest occasion it was the Arnica Inn's turn. I made the booking with some trepidation, after having read several negative reviews. But I was not disappointed.

In addition to getting a great rate (for a pricey town like Yellowknife), I found that, in my case at least, the Arnica had more than made up for any past inadequacies. From booking to checkout, I received excellent service, and my room was more than satisfactory. More specifically, the room (a typical double Queen) had a fridge, microwave, coffee maker and basic cable tv, all in good working order. There was also a standalone air conditioner, which was nice on those days the temperature outside hit +27C (I overheard people complaining that another well known local hotel didn't offer any air conditioning and that their rooms sweltered). And one thing that makes all the difference for me is a working shower (with adequate hot water and pressure), with a working drain that doesn't let my feet soak in my own rinse during a shower.

I would never call it luxury, but the Arnica certainly did the job; if you want something more luxurious you'll have to pay for it. If there was anything negative about the Inn, it would be that it's somewhat out of the way if you're hoping to be close to downtown: it's a good 15-minute hike, but it's not far enough to justify a taxi. Good thing the weather was awesome.

Room Tip: It's a motel set up, with a number of rooms having doors that open to the outside. In the winter...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

This review will confirm what the majority here have already written. The ARNICA Inn is probably still in business because there is a paucity of hotel space in Yellowknife. If you are traveling during peak Japanese tourist season, and book at the last minute, or just unlucky, you will find yourself in a smoke-smelling room, with dingy carpet and half-way between new and old town centers.

Don't lose hope! The bedding was clean, the coffee maker worked and the TV had cable! The room was plenty warm, when the weather outside was not, and although the safety of the outlying rooms leaves something to be desired, it will do for a brief stay. You will pay the same price here as you would for a hotel in downtown New York!

Room Tip: Get a room behind the main reception in the middle of the hotel: the hallway doors are key-locked so...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Arnica Inn? Share your experiences!