“Great place for a conference” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Explorer Hotel

You added Explorer Hotel to your Saves list
Explorer Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4825 49th Avenue | Box 7000, Yellowknife, Northwest Territories X1A 2R3, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Halifax, NS
“Great place for a conference”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Attended a conference there in October of 2012. Rooms were spacious, clean and the hotel had a great atmosphere. Service was typical of my experiences in the north. The conference facilties were great and the food was the best I have ever had at a conference. The bar was very comfortable and the staff was great. Book a conference or stay with confidence.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear HavanaClub 11,

I would like to thank you for your visit and review. I am glad that your stay was a pleasant one and our team appreciates the praise. With that, I will be sure to pass along your comments to our team. I am also glad to hear that we exceeded your expectation for the conference. Thank you again and we hope to see you again!

Cheers,

Jamie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Virginia Beach, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Hotel is clean, staff is friendly, and it's located on the edge of 'downtown' so you're walking distance to a lot without being in the middle of everything. The visitor's center is directly across the street.

Wireless internet was free and the speed was more than adequate. I was able to download media files and make video calls on Skype.

Prices for food and drinks were competitive with the rest of the town. Breakfast buffet was 16. In comparison, the lunch special at Boston Pizza in town was 16 +tip (6" pizza and side salad).

There is a free airport shuttle and most, if not all, tour companies will pick you up in the lobby.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Palombaro5341,

I would like to thank you for your recent visit and review. We certainly appreciate your comments and praise. We look forward to seeing you again sometime!

Have a great weekend!

Surrey, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I was told to stay here as it is the nicest hotel in town. For a smaller town I did not expect much so I was surprised to find it was so nice. Fast room service, clean well appointed rooms and great bathroom amenities. The restaurant (can't recall name) had a good breakfast buffet and the setting was pretty.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Good evening PMW60,

Thank you for your recent vist and review. I am elated to hear that we exceeded your expectations. Your breakfast experience would have been in Traders Restaurant we appreciate the acolades. We hope to see you in Yellowknife again, soon.

Best regards,

Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I wrote a previous review of this hotel about a year ago and I thought I needed to revise it but in re-reading I realize that in fact nothing has really changed. The fundamental problem with this hotel is related to the design and the HVAC system. And no you can't open the windows if your room is a sauna (as mine has been).

If you are in a room next to an elevator the low frequency hum generated each time the elevator moves, will drive you nuts.

Some rooms are too hot and others too cold. In reading previous reviews I note similar complaints - it seems the managers can't or wont fix the HVAC so that guests can actually regulate the temperature of the room. Its also EXTREMELY dry in this hotel. I know YK can be dry but that's why humidifiers were invented.

Front desk staff in the hotel are consistently underwhelming, somewhere along the lines of a Motor Vehicles registry. They get the job done but dont seem to take much pleasure in it. On the other hand, the cleaning staff always have a smile. Oh and Jennifer in the bar is another exception. New menu is an improvement but I would still prefer to not eat on the property if I can avoid it.

One thing I really noticed the last few times I stayed is that the bedspreads are very worn out and frankly its getting kind of disgusting. They'd be better to get duvets with covers that can be washed with each guest turnover.

So you ask why do I keep going back; the Coast Fraser Tower (best in the city in my opinion) is frequently sold out, and the Yellowknife Inn, the only other decent downtown hotel, offers much smaller rooms, is often loud at all hours of the day and night, and smells like fried food.

So here's hoping the Explorer sees fit to invest in better HVAC, soundproofing for elevator adjacent rooms and new bedding. Do it soon before your reputation takes too many more hits.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Good afternoon spuzzum72,

I would like to thank you for your review and frequent patronage. I do apologize for your experience with our HVAC system. We are working on some modifications to the system, so please be assured that this is an issue that is high on our priority list. I also apologize for your front desk experience. This is clearly not the imagine we strive for. We recoginize that our front desk associates are often the first and last impression upon our guests. This concern has not fallen on deaf ears and the departmental manager is handling your feedback accordingly. I am pleased to tell you that we are currently in the process of changing our guest room duvets to a solid while concept and we hope to have this project completed by the end of the year this year. In closing, we recognize that you have other accomodation options when travelling to Yellowknife. With that, we appreciate being that hotel choice and I will also be more than happy to look after your reservation needs personally if you like to ensure your room placement fits your personal preference.

Best regards,

Jamie Bolduc
800.661.0892
gm@explorerhotel.ca
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

Explorer is the best hotel in town, but it is a frontier town, don't expect the Ritz! Great dining room and nice lounge. Food was good. Rooms are solid and views outstanding. Temps can vary and you really never know what or who to expect.

• Stayed September 2012
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Good evening davedrew,

Thank you for your visit and review! I am glad to hear that we exceeded your expectation. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Regards,

Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I spent 2 nights and booked a Junior Suite for a little more with a lake view. I was told it is much better than the standard rooms. The bathroom tiles could have been cleaner and the bath tap was wobbly. There was one herbal tea on the first night but this was not replaced but housekeeping brought several with a smile. The wireless Internet was very slow and barely registered in the rooms. It works well in the restaurant. Take your own shampoo and conditioner as the quality of the shampoo/conditioner is poor. I would have given the hotel 2 stars for the price except for the excellent food in the restaurant and friendly staff.

Room Tip: Junior suite facing lake.
Dear JanfromCanada,

Thank you for your recent visit and review. We do appreciate all feedback we receive. I am sorry to hear of the shortcomings you have mentioned, but I am glad to hear that we were able to get you more tea, thus 'making it right'. Ironically enough, we have recently done some work on our guest internet solution to improve speed and connectivity issues, and so far it is working much better. As a side note/request, if you could be so kind as to e-mail me the room number you were in, I will personally ensure the 'wobbly' bath tap is fixed for the next guest (gm@explorerhotel.ca)

Cheers,

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed in this hotel as part of a conference. On the whole it was a great stay and I would certainly return. The view from the room was amazing and it looks as though most of the rooms have a view. The restaurant was fabulous and I had the chance to visit a few times. It is getting cold in Yellowknife, so I didn't have to venture out too far, as the hotel had all that I needed.

Dear JohnSSS910,

I would like to thank you for your visit and great review. Yes we are very proud of our guest room view. I am also happy to hear that you got to enjoy a few dining experiences with us. I do certainly hope that you get a chance to visit us again, and although Yellowknife is getting cold, it certainly has plenty to offer those that want to venture out this time of year.

Best regards and we look forward to being your hotel of choice when in Yellowknife!

Jamie

Been to Explorer Hotel? Share your experiences!