“BEWARE” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Explorer Hotel

You added Explorer Hotel to your Saves list
Explorer Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4825 49th Avenue | Box 7000, Yellowknife, Northwest Territories X1A 2R3, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Bonesteel sd
“BEWARE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

A group of us arrived witth five Harley Davidson motorcycles thinking we would be staying at the best and most secure hotel in town. We were badly mistaken. We asked to park our expensive motorcycles in a secure area near the front entrance, and were told no. They directed us to a gravel parking lot on top of the hill beside the hotel. A couple of hours later we were told all five of our bikes had been deliberately pushed over. Thieves had opened the saddlebags and stolen items that remained in the bikes. Thankfully about the only items left in the bikes were a few bottles of water, sunscreen, and a laundry bag containing dirty underwear and socks. These items were stolen. My new 2012 Harley received over $5,000.00 damage to it. As the evening progressed we noted loiters and vagrants roaming around the property. Hotel staff informed us they like to go to the top of the hill (where we were directed to park) to gather and look down at the town. We noted one vagrant scrounging through the cigarette disposal salvaging cigarette butts. The next day a local resident told us that homeless people were known to tent camp in the trees behind this parking lot. Hotel management would not give us the name of their insurance company. When we asked for a refund of the $550.00 we paid for the rooms, they refused to give us one cent back. Hotel management said they were sorry, but obviously not sorry enough to give us a refund. Bottom line, the hotel was quite happy to keep a fat profit and take no responsibility. I guess it is our tough luck that they are either unwilling or unable to provide a safe and secure environment for their guests. TRAVELER BEWARE STAY AT THIS HOTEL AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Good afternoon Sir, I would like to apologize to you and your group again for the unfortunate incident with your group’s valuable motorcycles. I can assure you and our fellow readers that the safety and security of our guests and their property is of the utmost importance to us. I do remain supportive of the direction our staff gave you as to where to park your motorcycles. To be clear, the area you mention outside the hotel’s main entrance is a high traffic fire lane where the parking of vehicles is simply not possible. As you know, a perpetrator with no connection to the hotel was apprehended on hotel property immediately following the incident and we have cooperated fully with the police investigation. In closing, this incident is a police and personal insurance matter and I again welcome you to have your insurer contact ours through the contact information I gave you when you stayed with us.

Jamie Bolduc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Food is good but service is slow. Bar closes early Staff is friendly and helpful. Gym is small and temperature difficult to regulate in rooms. Rooms are clean and modern. Just about all of Yellowknife closes on Sunday it would be nice if restaurant had better hours of operation.

• Stayed August 2012
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Good afternoon PeteLB,

Thank you for your recent visit and review. I would also like to thank you for you rating us as the 'best place in Yellowknife". That is certainly what we strive for at the Explorer Hotel, so I am glad to hear that we did not disappoint. I do apologize for the slow restaurant service that you encountered. With regard to Sunday, local laws limit our hours of opertaion in F & B outlets where alcohol is served; therefore, our lounge must remain closed. Our restaurant is however open 7 days a week. I look forward to welcoming you again!

Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Pluses: Large rooms, centrally located, restaurant has both good food and good layout

Negatives: (1) No A/C. I realize that a hotel in Yellowknife would only need A/C for a small part of the year but I was theer on canada day weekend and room was too warm to sleep in and theer was no way to cool it doen (windows don't open). If you're theer in the summer, make sure to keep blinds closed during teh day because if heat gets in, there is no way for it to get out.

(2) Noise from adjacent rooms travels.. With no ventilation to mask outside noise, sound from hallways and other rooms travels into room. I was woken up at 3 AM (despite wearing earplugs) by my neighbours continuing their party from the bar into their room.Rooms definitely need better sound insulation.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear WarrenL,

Thank you for your recent visit and review. Your feedback is very important to us and we appreciate your comments. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our central location, large rooms and your restaurant experience. I do apologize however, that you had an issue with your in room air conditioning. I also apologize for the noise your experienced in your room. As a point of clarification for our fellow readers, our hotel is fully airconditioned both in room and common spaces. I am sorry that we were unable to correct this for you while you were here. Your point on keeping the blinds closed is a great tip, as our building this time of year gets about 18 hours of direct sunlight each day. To close, as our lounge is closed by 1am, I assume your neighbours were coming from an outside bar. Regardless, we do have 24 hour security and would have been happy to resolve this for you. Our goal is for all of our guests to be comfortable and have a great night's rest.

Best regards and we look forward to seeing you again.

Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

This place would be very good even in the south. It's well appointed, clean, quiet and had good service, accommodating of our unique requests. The views are very nice and is only a three block walk to the middle of downtown.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Good morning advisetrip,

Thank you for your recent visit and great review. We appreciate your patronage and feedback.

Cheers,

Dawson Creek, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

had to phone daily for bath towels and or hand towels...no grab bars in the shower and bath tubs...very heavy bed throws made it like sleeping in a straight jacket..tv sets are about 30 years old..shower water turns hot and cold with flushing of toilets ..noises from adjacent rooms included flushing toilets..showers running and heavy footsteps. no daily newspaper no bathroom fan...

Room Tip: very little good lodging in the town of yellowknife
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Good afternoon heatherb,

I would like to thank you for your recent visit with us and appreciate the time you took to complete your review. I do apologize for the short comings you experienced during your visit. I am happy to inform you that we are continually upgrading our hotel and have a plan in place to replace both our televisions and bedding in the near future. If I could ask you to please reach out to me and let me know what room you were in, I will ensure that our maintenance staff looks into the water temperature issue in your room. This is not normal and I would like to ensure this is fixed so it does not inconvenience another guest. I aplogize again and look forward to you visiting us again.

gm@explorerhotel.ca
800.661.0892 ext 7149
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This was one of those trips where when it was originally proposed I wondered why in the world would I go there yet I came home and afterward and was pleasantly surprised. In terms of where you are at this is as good as it gets for there. The staff was friendly and helpful but there was limited amenities and options for dining. Was quite expensive but had the most unbelievable time fishing up there and would highly recommend it. One problem that seemed quite common was the temperature controls in the room. Although my room was very comfortable a number of the group I was with said that their room was not.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Nelly17332,

Thank you for your recent visit and review. We are glad to hear that we exceeded your expections. I will be sure to share your positive comments about our staff with them, as they are certainly our greatest asset. I am sorry to hear that you felt there were limited amenities and dining options; however, beciase we are a full service hotel with multiple dining options, I didn't want to falsely assume you were talking about the hotel directly. I also apologize that some of the delegates of your group may have had issues with the temperature in their room, but I am certainly glad that your room was comfortable. Not offer an excuse, but the rapid change in climate in Yellowknife, does at time offer us it's challenges.

All the best and have a wonderful summer!

Fort Simpson, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I've been to this hotel on several trips, about 12 stays ranging from 1-14 nights.

The consistency of the bad service from room service is astonishing. Burned food, charged 4 lattes when wanted 4 shots of espresso etc...(I seem to get that often). I have tried several dishes, all over priced and it's better and fastert to order from the local KFC!

Location is OK if you NEED to be downtown, otherwise not very pleasant, poor shopping and back alleys not always safe.

Rooms are ok and clean but can SOMEBODY clean the main front glass doors!!!?? They have been filthy for months, it's summer now, no excuses!

If you enjoy B&B you might be lucky, otherwise for being the Diamond Capital of North America, the Explorer could smarten up!

• Stayed July 2012
, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Good morning Bvaudry,

Thank you for your recent visit and review. We would like to thank you for your business and continued loyalty. I apologize for your `sub-par` room service experience, as this is certainly not representative of the dining experience we wish to provide. I have discussed your comments with our Chef and restaurant manager and I can assure you that your feed back has not been ignored and will be used to make our in-room dining experience better. I also apologize that you feel our menu does not represent good value; however, your comparison of our menu to a fast food outlet is unfair and unjust.

With regard to the cleaning of our front entry doors, I can ensure you that these doors and windows are cleaned multiple times daily and as you can appreciate see lots of traffic. I am also pleased to report that all exterior windows in the hotel from top to bottom were just cleaned last week. Understanding that we need to provide that positive `first impression` we have recognized that our front entry doors need to be replaced and I can confirm with you that this is a project in our plan to complete in the near future.

We have many great things happening here at The Explorer Hotel and we look forward to you experiencing it on your future visits in town. All the best and have a great summer!

Jamie Bolduc

Been to Explorer Hotel? Share your experiences!