“Large but noisy rooms” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Explorer Hotel

You added Explorer Hotel to your Saves list
Explorer Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4825 49th Avenue | Box 7000, Yellowknife, Northwest Territories X1A 2R3, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Yellowknife
Ottawa, Canada
“Large but noisy rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Pluses: Large rooms, centrally located, restaurant has both good food and good layout

Negatives: (1) No A/C. I realize that a hotel in Yellowknife would only need A/C for a small part of the year but I was theer on canada day weekend and room was too warm to sleep in and theer was no way to cool it doen (windows don't open). If you're theer in the summer, make sure to keep blinds closed during teh day because if heat gets in, there is no way for it to get out.

(2) Noise from adjacent rooms travels.. With no ventilation to mask outside noise, sound from hallways and other rooms travels into room. I was woken up at 3 AM (despite wearing earplugs) by my neighbours continuing their party from the bar into their room.Rooms definitely need better sound insulation.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear WarrenL,

Thank you for your recent visit and review. Your feedback is very important to us and we appreciate your comments. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our central location, large rooms and your restaurant experience. I do apologize however, that you had an issue with your in room air conditioning. I also apologize for the noise your experienced in your room. As a point of clarification for our fellow readers, our hotel is fully airconditioned both in room and common spaces. I am sorry that we were unable to correct this for you while you were here. Your point on keeping the blinds closed is a great tip, as our building this time of year gets about 18 hours of direct sunlight each day. To close, as our lounge is closed by 1am, I assume your neighbours were coming from an outside bar. Regardless, we do have 24 hour security and would have been happy to resolve this for you. Our goal is for all of our guests to be comfortable and have a great night's rest.

Best regards and we look forward to seeing you again.

Jamie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

This place would be very good even in the south. It's well appointed, clean, quiet and had good service, accommodating of our unique requests. The views are very nice and is only a three block walk to the middle of downtown.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Good morning advisetrip,

Thank you for your recent visit and great review. We appreciate your patronage and feedback.

Cheers,

Jamie
Dawson Creek, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

had to phone daily for bath towels and or hand towels...no grab bars in the shower and bath tubs...very heavy bed throws made it like sleeping in a straight jacket..tv sets are about 30 years old..shower water turns hot and cold with flushing of toilets ..noises from adjacent rooms included flushing toilets..showers running and heavy footsteps. no daily newspaper no bathroom fan...

Room Tip: very little good lodging in the town of yellowknife
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Good afternoon heatherb,

I would like to thank you for your recent visit with us and appreciate the time you took to complete your review. I do apologize for the short comings you experienced during your visit. I am happy to inform you that we are continually upgrading our hotel and have a plan in place to replace both our televisions and bedding in the near future. If I could ask you to please reach out to me and let me know what room you were in, I will ensure that our maintenance staff looks into the water temperature issue in your room. This is not normal and I would like to ensure this is fixed so it does not inconvenience another guest. I aplogize again and look forward to you visiting us again.

Best regards,

gm@explorerhotel.ca
800.661.0892 ext 7149
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This was one of those trips where when it was originally proposed I wondered why in the world would I go there yet I came home and afterward and was pleasantly surprised. In terms of where you are at this is as good as it gets for there. The staff was friendly and helpful but there was limited amenities and options for dining. Was quite expensive but had the most unbelievable time fishing up there and would highly recommend it. One problem that seemed quite common was the temperature controls in the room. Although my room was very comfortable a number of the group I was with said that their room was not.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Nelly17332,

Thank you for your recent visit and review. We are glad to hear that we exceeded your expections. I will be sure to share your positive comments about our staff with them, as they are certainly our greatest asset. I am sorry to hear that you felt there were limited amenities and dining options; however, beciase we are a full service hotel with multiple dining options, I didn't want to falsely assume you were talking about the hotel directly. I also apologize that some of the delegates of your group may have had issues with the temperature in their room, but I am certainly glad that your room was comfortable. Not offer an excuse, but the rapid change in climate in Yellowknife, does at time offer us it's challenges.

All the best and have a wonderful summer!

Fort Simpson, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I've been to this hotel on several trips, about 12 stays ranging from 1-14 nights.

The consistency of the bad service from room service is astonishing. Burned food, charged 4 lattes when wanted 4 shots of espresso etc...(I seem to get that often). I have tried several dishes, all over priced and it's better and fastert to order from the local KFC!

Location is OK if you NEED to be downtown, otherwise not very pleasant, poor shopping and back alleys not always safe.

Rooms are ok and clean but can SOMEBODY clean the main front glass doors!!!?? They have been filthy for months, it's summer now, no excuses!

If you enjoy B&B you might be lucky, otherwise for being the Diamond Capital of North America, the Explorer could smarten up!

• Stayed July 2012
, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Good morning Bvaudry,

Thank you for your recent visit and review. We would like to thank you for your business and continued loyalty. I apologize for your `sub-par` room service experience, as this is certainly not representative of the dining experience we wish to provide. I have discussed your comments with our Chef and restaurant manager and I can assure you that your feed back has not been ignored and will be used to make our in-room dining experience better. I also apologize that you feel our menu does not represent good value; however, your comparison of our menu to a fast food outlet is unfair and unjust.

With regard to the cleaning of our front entry doors, I can ensure you that these doors and windows are cleaned multiple times daily and as you can appreciate see lots of traffic. I am also pleased to report that all exterior windows in the hotel from top to bottom were just cleaned last week. Understanding that we need to provide that positive `first impression` we have recognized that our front entry doors need to be replaced and I can confirm with you that this is a project in our plan to complete in the near future.

We have many great things happening here at The Explorer Hotel and we look forward to you experiencing it on your future visits in town. All the best and have a great summer!

Best regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

room was very hot and you cannot control room temperature. Food was "okay" but overpriced for what you get. Staff was friendly and very curteous, though I did not enjoy one individual I assume was management.. very unprofessional to treat staff so terribly in front of guests (like myself) especially right at the font desk.. all in all probably the best yellowknife has to offer!! We will be back!

• Stayed May 2012
Jamie B, General Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Good morning MrKmanson,

I would like to thank you for your recent visit and review. I apologize that your room was uncomfortable and that you felt our menu was overpriced. It is my hope that someone from our guest services team was able to assist you with the room temperature controls. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed the food and the staff; however, your concern of 'unprofessional' dealings by possibly a management person with staff, is deeply concerning to me and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Our staff are our greatest asset, therefore such treatment is completely unacceptable. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience, via by e-mail or telephone.

Yours in Hospitality,

gm@explorerhotel.ca
800.661.0892
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Absolutely fine for Yellowknife with a helpful staff, but mediocre food. Rooms have spectacular views but are a little tired.
Very dry air, but that's likely inevitable given winter climate

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the lake
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Douglas P, Manager at Explorer Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Thank you very much for your comment. We thank you for staying with us when you were in Yellowknife, and we look forward to you staying with us again in the future. We are undergoing renovations now, so hopefully your next stay will be that much more comfortable. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you decide to stay with us again. We can guarentee that your stay will be most enjoyable.

Naresh,
operations@explorerhotel.ca

Been to Explorer Hotel? Share your experiences!