“Excellent food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Sprout

The Sprout
364 Duckworth Street, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada (Downtown)
Improve this listing
Ranked #34 of 301 restaurants in St. John's
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Cozy restaurant in the heart of downtown offering a variety of healthy choices. An oasis of amazing dishes for vegetarians and vegans.
Calgary, Canada
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We were very impressed with the food at the Sprout - price, palate, and presentation were all high quality. We ate here several times (tried take-out once), always trying different dishes, and loved them all. The dishes were always artistically arranged, the portions were generous. It is great to see the pieces of fruit included as extras. The desserts are fantastic - not too sweet. I wish they would open a branch in Calgary!

Visited July 2013

74% Recommend
Ottawa, Canada
“so-so”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I went there with my parents. After we were seated (which took a while even though there were some empty tables), it took forever for one of the waitresses to notice us and bring us menus and water. We weren't in a rush, and she was apologetic, so we didn't mind that much. My dad had the lentil burger which he liked but thought it wasn't very big (but I thought it looked big enough). My mom and I had the miso noodles and we didn't like them at all. I eat vegeterian meals most of the time (I can't give up seafood so I'm never going to actually be a vegetarian) so my criticism of the meal isn't because it's not what I'm used to eating. The miso had a unusual aftertaste. The tofu pieces were good. They said there were veggies on the menu but all we had were a bit of overcooked mushy brocoli, a little bit of grated carrotts and about three very thin slices of mushrooms. I hesitated between that and an avocado sandwich when I ordered, I think I would have prefered the sandwich.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Newfoundland
“Surprisingly good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My fiancé and I were walk downtown on a hot summer day looking for a place to sit outside to eat and drink. We stopped into this little restaurant called the sprout, all vegetarian/vegan/gluten free menu options.
The menu has several good, creative ideas. We order tapas during happy hour ( 3-5 pm) and received a pitcher of sangria for $10. It was a little lacking in alcohol but I guess that's personal opinion.
For an entree my finance ordered a large blue moon salad, which believe me is loaded down with greens, blue cheese, craisins, pecans and a dressing which I forget. Excellent. I ordered the pad Thai which was a massive portion, not much flavour but spicy how I like it.
The wine and beer selections are limited as are desserts.
It is a great place to try and I recommend for vegetarians, vegans and those with gluten intolerance. Keep up the good work.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Stratford, Canada
“My Favorite Rerstaurant in St John's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I discovered this restaurant 3 years ago and always return when in St John's. It was the last place I expected to find a veggie restaurant, but then St John's is full of all kinds of wonderful surprises.
I have eaten here at all times of day and sampled most of their offerings and have never been disappointed ! The staff is great ... good fun, very accommodating and great service.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“excellent vegetarian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

The Sprout is one of the best vegetarian restaurants I have experienced anywhere in the world. The food was fresh with many interesting and innovative menu selections made from a variety of fresh veggies, tofu, etc. Great sandwiches also. Love their lentil burger which is very hearty. They normally have about 6 special desserts and around the same number of appetizers. Cool eclectic crowd of customers.

• Visited June 2013