“Gone Downhill! What a shame!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #66 of 313 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Dessert, Delivery, Late Night, Takeout
Description: Newfoundland's famous Fish & Chips. Celebrating 60 years in business, and is still run by the 2nd & 3rd generations of Barbours. All fresh products (except for the off fishing season) Ches's prides itself on having the best quality food that can be found. (example they hand select their "chip" potato from 6-7 samples each week for color, texture and taste)We hope to see you soon.
New York City, New York
“Gone Downhill! What a shame!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Ches's was always my favorite. What a shame they got big and stopped trying. Even the vinegar on the table wasn't malt. We asked if they had malt vinegar and they said, "No. Only brown vinegar." What is brown vinegar? Also, no tartar sauce. When our group of five asked for some, they brought out five tiny packs, with a look that said, "Don't you dare ask for more." How sad!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
jbn2010, Owner at Ches's Fish And Chips, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Sorry you were disappointed on your visit. We still strive to be the same. I would like to clarify some items you addressed. We never have had MALT vinegar we have always used brown vinex for our vinegar not a sweet malt. Ches’s brown vinegar is actually a white vinegar with a caramel coloring to give it the brown hue. As well our tarter sauce was always in packages until about 5 years ago. The reason you would have gotten packages this week is sadly we are at the mercy of our suppliers and they have been out of stock waiting for shipment of our larger bottles so we had to use the tiny packs for the time being. It was that or non at all. I am quite confidant if you had to a have asked your server for more you would have gotten it. I hope this will clear things up for you and that you will visit again in the future. And I can tell you will 100% certainty that we have not stopped trying. We are still a 3rd generation, family run business who aims everyday to give people the same ches’s experience that have grown to love for the last 60 years.

jen@chessfishandchips.ca

Tillsonburg, Canada
“Good fish and chips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Food was very good and extreemly speedy. Good service was had. Cod bits were very tasty for my wife as she showed a bit with me.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
jbn2010, Guest Relations Manager at Ches's Fish And Chips, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for you kind words. Our staff love to hear when they are doing a good job. It was great to hear that your wife shared her meal with you as well LOL. Hope to see you again soon.

St. John's, Canada
“Bad, disgusting never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

The location on Kenmount Road I have been there 3 times in the past month since I just started working in the area and each time I wanted to puke with the food I ate. I thought at first it was a bad day or just bad timing. But when all 3 times I got the same quality of food I was like this is not right. First time, I went there with a few coworkers during lunch time, the servers were not ready for a table of 8 during lunch time when the restaurant was not even full. They complained about serving us because they were "BUSY" . That is not an excuse to us when we wanted to eat. We ordered our food and some of my coworkers ordered salads for their meal. All those that ordered fish and chicken we got our meals in a timely fashion considering they were busy. Those that ordered salads had to wait another 5 -10 minutes. Why would they have to wait longer for their meals when theirs are not being cooked? All of us were not impressed with our food or service, especially during lunch time. The server was like next time order before you come here. That was what we did not want to hear.
Second time I went there was after work and I was told that Ches's burgers are really good. So I ordered it thinking I am going to have a great burger.I pre-ordered before leaving work so it will be ready. When I was ready to eat it I was very disappointed. It was disgusting I don't know what you use as hamburger meat but boy, did it ever taste awful. No taste, it did not even taste close to a good burger. Very, very disappointed.
Third and the very last time I will ever go to that Che's is when I ordered a half chicken. I just got of work and about to visit my husband in the hospital finishing a chemo treatment. He wanted something good to eat and I also needed to eat dinner. While I was in the restaurant waiting for my food all I heard was complaints and just no moral. I felt embarrassed to be there, felt very uncomfortable. I felt that the people that worked there did not have a care in the world for what they do or who they serve. I am good at reading people and can tell by their expressions that they just don't care. I felt like the servers even forgot about me. I finally got my food took it to the hospital to eat with my husband. I don't know what they did to the chicken and fries but oh my it was bad. The chicken was tasteless, the batter was indescribable grossness, it was just bad. The fries were soggy and just bad as well. Since my husband was not eating in the hospital because of the food being bad and he wanted something good I thought Ches's would be a good substitute. We were wrong.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
jbn2010, Owner at Ches's Fish And Chips, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
I do believe that management from this location has tried to contact you a number of times (Via e-mail, as when you sent this same e-mail to all of us you did not leave a contact number) to try and take care of your problems with this location. We are sorry that you had negative experiences with our Kenmount Road location and we strive to provide the best experience and food at all times. We always correct problems when brought to our attention and if you would like to contact the manager (Sylvia) at that location I know she would like to speak with you to resolve your concerns.
St. John's, Canada
“OK but not holding top rank”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Vhes's used to be the 1st choice fish and chips resaturant in St. J but lately it seems to have slipped. Needs more broiled options. That said it is moderately priced and their are senior portions that areca great bargain/

Visited November 2012
Iris51_13

Not sure what you mean by broiled options. We do have a full healthy line of products available for you to try such as our steamed cod or salmon, stuff cod, and salads. We do everything possible to ensure that we provide the healthiest product we can given that we are a deep fried based establishment.

I am sorry to think we have slipped as of late. And I hope you will give us another try in the future, be sure to try our steamers menu.

Canada
“Bland Fish & Sweet Soggy Chips”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

After reading Tripadvisor reviews we wanted to go to Leo’s but on a Saturday at around 7pm they were closed. Ordered fish & chips to go: For 16$ including taxes we got 3 pieces of Cod, French fries and gravy on the side: seemed expensive for a take out. The cod was good but was under seasoned and so was the batter which was also very oily and bland although it had some bite to it. The French fries were soggy and too sweet. The gravy was ok. The packaging for a meal to go was lacking: a round paper plate with brown hand paper on top. We are not sure it was worth our money. It was busy so it does seem like a popular place. We heard one group say they thought it was delicious.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
jbn2010, Owner at Ches's Fish And Chips, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Sorry to hear you thought the batter was bland. We pride ourselves on the fact that we do not add any sodium, spices or beer to our batter. That is how a TRUE Newfoundland fish batter should be. We like to let the fish do the talking. Our Chips the last few weeks have been very sweet but this is the time of the year where the starches actually turn to sugar causing the potatoes to be sweet. We aim for a nice sweet chip but as the year goes on they can get to be very sweet, but oh so brown. Overall I am sad you would choose to judge your Ches’s experience on a take out meal. Once wrapped the steam can not escape and your food not will be as crisp as it would be if you were to dine in.

You said the order was wrapped with hand towel? We use a food grade brown kraft paper to wrap your order to try and absorb some of the moisture from the steam.

I hope you will return some day and eat in, so you will experience a true Ches’s experience.