“Superb!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Central Newfoundland
“Superb!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This restaurant is one of the best I've ever dined in. Eight of us had a wonderful meal. The service was unsurpassed and food was pure quality.
Unlike some fine dining restaurants, the portion size was not postage stamp-sized. You will leaved feeling satisfied.
A couple small criticisms, which in no way hurt our experience: the music was too loud at times and other parties in our section were trying to speak over the music. Also, we were at a round table pushed into a square corner. The person sitting in the corner - me - was a bit uncomfortable and forced to lean into the table.
I will visit this restaurant whenever I get the chance.

Visited February 2013

Mississauga, Canada
“great experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Great views, great service and great food! Any of the fish dishes were fresh and tasty. Try the cod tongue - though not something I would normally eat, it was good. The servers were all so friendly and eager to help you make a dinner choice.

Visited April 2013
SAINT JOHN
“Excellent view and atmosphere, and delicious meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

The location is excellent, right beside the hotel we were staying in. We had a great view from our window table upstairs, and could watch the harbour activity while we ate.
The special was a great chicken dish, and the starter salad was excellent. The food was on the pricy side for the dishes we ordered, but not outlandish. The server was friendly and accomodating, providing exactly the right amount of attention to us. Our group all had excellent meals and enjoyed it very much. I wouldn't hesitate to return, and I look forward to my next meal at Portobello's.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Harbour Grace, Canada
“Save room for dessert.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Friendly service + great seafood dishes! I had the salmon with pesto goat cheese on it, and it was good, as were the roasted veggies with it. The best thing about my meal was the dessert, which was an orange creme bruleé that tasted like Buried Treasure ice cream! If you're feeling nostalgic for that flavour, ask for it! This place doesn't look fancy inside, but has a lot of lovely pictures of Newfoundland on the walls. One whole wall is glass, so you have a view of the harbour if it's a clear day. Don't go on a rainy-foggy day like I did! Even though we had reservations for lunchtime, they chose not to seat us at a table with a view. Hmph.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
St. John's, NL, Canada
“Tasty food-nice view...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

The blackened halibut was delicious! Barely touched the sides as the fish portion was a very good size and so tasty that was all I wanted to eat!!! Our waitress was very attentive.
Our table was by the window, so we enjoyed the view of the harbour. A great way to spend a Friday evening!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food