“Fish & Chips and Republic of Doyle” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Duke of Duckworth

Duke of Duckworth
325 Duckworth St., St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada (Downtown)
709 739-6344)
Cuisines: Canadian, Pub, Fish & Chips
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown
St. John's, Canada
“Fish & Chips and Republic of Doyle”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Came here a few times on our last visit to St. John's. The fish and chips are very good, but quite similar to what you find at other landmark fish and chip establishments in St. John's. The extra bonus in coming here is twofold 1) Great beers on tap (and I am not a beer drinker) and 2) The place is notorious from the Republic of Doyle series and worth visiting if you enjoy watching the show. Otherwise, the bar gets a little too crowded for my taste past 8PM or so.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Brighton, Canada
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Read the reviews and thought this would be a sure bet. I have to give a bit of consideration because it was a Friday afternoon at 2:00 pm, but there was 3 staff standing around checking their phones. I waited 10-15 minutes before anyone asked if I had been served. Once I ordered the service was prompt and friendly. However, the biggest disappointment was the "Ploughman's Lunch" The menu advertised "The House Special, Oktoberfest Sausage, assorted Cheese, tomato, dill pickle and home made bread with butter"

I'll start at the top. The sausage was OK, pretty hard to mess that up. The "assorted cheese" was just those pre-sliced pieces of cheddar (just like subway), no assortment, only the one kind. Tomato was a little dicey but OK, lots of pickle pieces, and the home made bread is just regular old white bread with pre-packaged margarine packets.

I've had lot's of Ploughman's, and this was one of the worst. Usually they come with at least 2 different kinds of cheese, some rustic bread, and fresh produce. This was bad.

I'll try the Duke again, but I won't order this....

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Great food, great service @ a good price.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

In town for work and decided to go downtown for dinner with employees. Decided to g for a drink and for some fish & chips. This is a place i recom. You need to go to this place, busy, great service and good food. The server was awesome. Oay here how i see things:
Location: easy to find, located at the top of a concrete stairs corridor if you are coming from water st. If you are on duckworth.. Its a 5 step walk from the street. The sign is well located and easy to located
Interior: this is your typical pub, irish, full of kids (19-25) as well as business people. Great de or for the pub.
Menu: simple menu, local food and great fish and chips
Price: very good price,
Service: waiter was awesome and provided top notch services.
Beers: many choices of beers, local and foreign one...great choices.
So, your in town looking for a beer, a good fish & chips with good ambiance its the place to go. Try it if you are downtown.
G

Visited April 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Best fish n' chips with gravy on the side”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E.
We went back to the Duke every day we were in St. John's. The food was extremely good and the atmosphere was great! One of my friends who is from St. John's recommended this place while we were visiting for her wedding. No need to go anywhere else. :-)

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Michigan
“Fun place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stopped here with a group from our cruise ship, and had a great time. I had called ahead to reserve a spot, due to the size of our group. We were seated promptly and service was friendly and fast. The fish and chips plate here was much better than we had in Plymouth, England.

I don't know if you could access this place if you had mobility issues, since we entered off the steps in McMurdo's Lane. I would go again if the opportunity arose. Heck, I'd LOVE to go back to St. John's!

• Visited August 2012