“Great Food, Wonderful Staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Get Stuffed

Get Stuffed
Duckworth Street, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada (Downtown)
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 307 Restaurants in St. John's
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown
The Woodlands, Texas
“Great Food, Wonderful Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I'm scratching my head wondering why it took me so long to try this restaurant. We had a reservation for a Saturday night which is a must because they were full and walk-ins were disappointed when they had to be turned away. There was a private party upstairs so we didn't get to see it but the downstairs is cozy, dark, romantic but relaxed. My one complaint about the atmosphere is that the sound insulation is lacking so if there is a loud party then everyone will hear them. There was a large party that was very loud when we first were seated and it made it very uncomfortable for us because we couldn't even hear each other speak but fortunately they left.

The portions are not humungous but you can order a larger portion (if you want to share or take some home). The portion sizes were actually perfect: not too much and not too little. I had the grilled shrimp appetizer which actually was a large portion for an appetizer. It came with six large shrimp that were perfectly grilled and tasty. It was served with the good stuff (aka thick and syrupy balsamic vinegar). I was really pleased with this dish and highly recommend it.

I then had a side of the mac and cheese. It was swirly pasta not macaroni but it was cooked and baked to perfection. It was slightly crisp on top but not burnt and the flavor was lovely. Not too cheesy as to overwhelm the dish but certainly enough cheese to satisfy the cheese lover in me. It was less than $5 and was very filling.

My spouse had the grilled calamari for an appetizer and this, too, was a large portion for an appetizer. I can't stand to look at squid on a plate but my dining companion enjoyed the grilled calamari. For a main my spouse had the pasta special of the day which was homemade fettuccine with chorizo sausage, chicken, sun dried tomato, a light cream sauce and olive oil. It looked amazing and every morsel was eaten so it must have tasted as good as it looked.

The service was so quick that we had time for dessert so we got the filo pastry with banana and chocolate sauce that was served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side. It was served warm (except the ice cream) so it reminded me of a crepe and it was yummy. It came with two filo pastries so we were both able to have one.

Overall the prices were reasonable, especially the side dishes like the mac and cheese, the staff was attentive and friendly, and the seating was even comfortable which is a rarity nowadays in restaurants. I sat on the booth side with fluffy pillows. Get Stuffed might seem like an upscale restaurant but they say they don't take themselves seriously which is why you can get a hot dog added to any meal for just $1.

We enjoyed our dining experience at Get Stuffed and will be back. Oh and the scenery from the front window is really beautiful.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

St. John's, Canada
“FANTASTIC!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My significant other and I eat out frequently and make a point to do a long lingering lunch together every Friday, just the two of us. We've eaten at practically every restaurant in the St. John's downtown and have to say Get Stuffed is by far our favorite. The wait staff are phenomenal, the food is truly genius, the atmosphere is upscale casual but very warm and relaxing, and the prices are more than reasonable. I recommend this restaurant as a place to eat in St. John's to every and anyone!!

St. John's, Canada
“Always great. Upscale casual.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This place is always a great choice when heading out for dinner with friends. They have a large room on the second floor and a bar next to it. Great for a function area. We always have a larger group dining and I often find at nicer restaurants, the food ends up taking forever to be served and usually the quality is poor. Not Get Stuffed! They were timely without rushing us. They were friendly and they got everyone's order correct! The food is quality without being too pricey for a night out.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Cold feet at first.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

So after reviewing Bonita's review on this place I was unsure if spending our last supper in this city was the right choice!!
We walked into the restaurant which was cozy, clean, and different. The server was awesome and explained that all entrees on the menu has two sizes, the normal size and or the get stuffed animal size. Needless to say our table of 4 had 4 applies 4 entrees followed by 4 deserts. The food was amazing. Our combined bill was pennies short of $200 without liquor. It my friends was well worth it. I personally loved the antipasto, pork tenderloin, and the brownie Sunday (which the brownie is made by the owners mom off site) incredible!!! If you're on the fence get it done and check it out!!!!!

Calgary
“A very big disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We had read great reviews about this resturant on Trip Advisor, so we made sure to put in on our to do list in St. John's. It was very trendy and popular and we had to make a reservation for the next night to get in. We decided on their specality 'Mac & Cheese'. The resturant is 'a la carte' so everything is extra. My husband ordered peppers in his supper and a few were tossed with pasta and cheese. There was no sauce and it was dry and over cooked. The service was good, the staff friendly, but the food was not.

Visited August 2012