“Great again” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 313 Restaurants in St. John's
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, Contemporary, Bistro, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Intimate restaurant in the heart of downtown St. John's, Newfoundland. Operating for over 15 years, Oliver's is a favourite for great seafood, steaks, fresh pastas and mouthwatering housemade desserts. Featuring intimate booths, warm colours and a fantastic wine list.
“Great again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Showed up without a reservation but were accommodated with a table. Service was friendly and helpful. Food was good as always. Can't go wrong by eating here.

Airdrie, Canada
“Oliver's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

We just went back to St. John's Newfoundland for my 55th birthday March 2014, my girlfriend mentioned for us to do my birthday dinner at Oliver's, the service, food and wine was perfect. My next trip to Newfoundland Oliver's will be on my places to eat. Thank you to the staff of Oliver's for making my birthday dinner the best.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Calvin38, Owner at Oliver's Restaurant, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us for your birthday.
We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Thanks!
Cal
Edmonton, Canada
“I am going back for the calamari and mussels!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

My husband and I have travelled a lot, and recently moved home to Newfoundland and have been on a search for the best mussels in town- I think we found them at Olivers! Went to Olivers for Valentine's Day dinner with 2 other couples- it is a smaller, more intimate restaurant, perfect for a cozy datenight dinner, but also good to share with friends. Staff is awesome, wine choice is great, and food was WONDERFUL! Did I mention the mussels were good?!

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
St. John's, Canada
“My favorite place to eat in St. John's!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Awesome place, excellent food. Been there many times and I was never disappointed. The atmosphere is great. THE STAFF ARE FRIENDLY. The seafood platter is to die for. The Newfoundland berry cheesecake is out of this world.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Montreal
“First you eat with your eyes, and then with your mouth...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

You know, I just left St John's a little while ago on my way back home. We had lunch at Olivers today and I knew I was going to write about it on Trip Advisor but to preserve the memory in my mind before it lessened, I wrote it on the airplane and now I'm going to paste it in. Oh....I'm writing on an iPAD so if you see typo's, no I'm not illiterate, it's just the keyboad. =:-)

So here goes.....

Located right downtown on Water Street, you'll find Olivers Restaurant; a quaint little boutique style restaurant that you might easily miss had you not been looking for it or been in the company of someone from the area.

We were early for lunch and the weather was miserable and these were the only two reasons, my colleague explained, why the restaurant appeared devoid of clientele.

The waitress who was also the general manager seated us and took our orders for appetizers. Now this is Saint John's, Newfoundland so unless you;re going to the Keg, don't order anything other than seafood because you just know it's going to be the freshest you've ever had.

I started with the Calmar as an appetizer and the sheer amount served could have served as an entree on its own. Like the true Calmar lover that I am, it was resplendent with tentacles which, as any Calmar lover will swear to, are the best part. tossed in a delicately seasoned batter that in no way diminished from the fresh flavor of the fish, I could barely finish my appetizer.

The entree was a pan seared lemon-pepper cod filet with a side salad. The filet was a generous thick cut portion done to absolute perfection. Cod can be a funny fish when handled by an unskilled chef. Most would think that if the fish arrived and was white and flaky, that it was perfect. Not so. Let me tell you that there is a HUGE difference between WHITE and OPAQUE with a slight whisper of translucence to it. You should not need a knife to cut into a cod filet and I did not. The fish does not flake into tiny morsels but rather separates along the natural lines of the flesh and it does so because the moisture was preserved in the cooking as opposed to being evaporated out of it.

FULL MARKS ON ALL COUNTS!!!!

So, that being said. If you go to Saint John's, Newfoundland and you do not go to Olivers for dinner or lunch, your culinary life experience will never be truly complete.

Visited February 2014