“newfoundland hospitality at its best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Narrows Bed and Breakfast

You added The Narrows Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
The Narrows Bed and Breakfast
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   146 Gower Street, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador NL A1C 1P3, Canada   |
Ranked #4 of 25 St. John's B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ontario
“newfoundland hospitality at its best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

we thoroughly enjoyed our short time at the narrows; made especially memorable due to the hospitality and warmth shown by brenda and ann. We arrived late the first night and it was quite convenient to find our room, being given the door code prior to arrival. Having just arrived in newfoundland, we quickly came to know the friendliness of the people that morning, as we were greeted with a hug, warm smiles and laughs around the breakfast table. Brenda was especially helpful and went out of her way to ensure we had a memorable time, even offering to take us to the airport to pick up our rental car, and offering tidbits of the area only a local would be privy to.

Our room located on the second floor was large and exceptionally clean. The main areas of the home were also spotless and well cared for. Ann & Brenda accommodated for our gluten free diet, however I could not resist the partridge berry pancakes! The location was a short walking distance to restaurants, shops and the waterfront. A parking pass was offered free of charge. We only wish we could have stayed longer, but we'll forever remember our time spent at the narrows!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Westville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

my only night at the narrows, was a memorable occasion. Located just off the main drag, only a short walk to the down town area! From the B&B to the city itself, all as beautiful as the people that live there. Walking into what seemed like normal house from the outside, became an overnight stay at lovely mini mansion filled with all your desires. The room (3) was very spacious, cleanly and comfortable; also the bathroom was gorgeous. Down the hall you are just steps from the main dining and living room, all necessities met with superb quality. Not to mention the lovely owner Ann and her remarkably quick witted associate Brenda or (BJ) as her friends call her, have worked very diligently at up-keeping the house to be as presentable as the pictures that they provide on the website. I myself was blown away with the quality of the house and the A-1 hospitality and i am much looking forward to my next visit to Newfoundland and my next stay the the beautiful Narrows B&B

Room Tip: If you like a good breakfast and a nice place to rest your head, any room here shall do the trick!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Surrey, B.C.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed in many B&B's over many years, and The Narrows measures up somewhere in the middle. It does have some very good things going for it. It's right in the old town, very conveniently located for tourists. Ann, the owner, has invested in renovating this interesting old house, and it shows on the inside. It's well furnished and nicely decorated, with comfortable beds and contemporary art. Both Ann and Brenda, her morning helper, are very knowledgeable and helpful with touring info and arrangements.

Ann provides a free parking pass (appreciated!) and street parking was conveniently available. She also emails the door code ahead of your visit, so you can arrive at your convenience, and if she happens to be out, your keys and other essentials are on the hall table. Ann was in when we arrived, and she offered us a cup of tea in her living room/kitchen/dining room, which is where breakfast is served. (It wasn't made clear if this room was available to guests otherwise.)

On the down side, the breakfast arrangements are a bit inconvenient. There are seven rooms, so a possible fourteen guests. The breakfast table seats six, so it's first come, first served. On one morning that resulted in our travel companions eating before us and then waiting for us, so we could all get on with the day. On another, the four of us sat and waited while other guests lingered over coffee and conversation, even though they could clearly see us waiting. Breakfast included juice and coffee each day and a hot dish ... eggs and toast one day, pancakes another, fish cakes and beans another, all served hot and freshly made. Yogurt and fruit was sometimes available if asked for, but not routinely offered, as it is in many B&B's.

Our biggest concern was that our room didn't seem completely clean. There was hair in the corners of the bathroom floor, and it was pretty dusty behind the bedroom furnishings. The duvet cover had a visible stain on it (yuck!). When I pointed that out to Ann, she promptly apologized and changed the cover, still, it should have been clean In the first place. On the plus side, bathroom fixtures are cleaned daily, and towels replaced.

Our room on the main floor was smaller than the room our friends had on the second. There was really nowhere to put suitcases, other than on the floor. We put the big one in the closet on the floor, but it was dark in there, so not very convenient. Also, we were on the ground floor, street side, and one of the window shutters was broken and wouldn't stay closed, so there was a bit of a privacy issue.

With a bit of attention to these issues, this B&B could easily be a 5 instead do a 3.

Note for those with mobility issues, "heritage property" generally means no elevator, and you'll be lugging your baggage up a lot of stairs if your room is on the second or third floor.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Narrows this past week and had an absolutely terrific time. We were in room 7 of the 34 Prescott (yellow) house. The Narrows is a very clean, very well-maintained and cared for B&B. Ann and Brenda were really excellent hosts. Brenda in particular was really delightful, providing us with helpful tourist information and a great breakfast every morning. She even went beyond the call of duty to give me a ride downtown when it was raining. I really enjoyed hearing about Newfoundland history and culture from the both of them.

We stayed for 3 nights and slept quietly and comfortably, even with many other guests in the B&B at the time. Our room was very spacious which helped when we had a few friends stop by. It is in an excellent location close to Water and Duckworth streets for great restaurant eating. While my wife was at a conference downtown (walking distance to the Convention Centre) I spent most of my time sight seeing Signal Hill which is a hilly but manageable walk. We were lucky to have nice weather and even an iceberg nearby. WiFi worked great, so much so I was able to watch streaming World Cup coverage from CBC online without any issue.

Overall we really just had a great stay. The top notch customer service pushes this review from a 4-4.5 to a 5 easily.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Bear, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I was traveling alone in Saint Johns for work and this BB was incredible. I stayed here for 6 days. It was conveniently located next to major bus stops, downtown and other tourist attractions. The owner was extremely polite, kind and friendly. The room itself was very nice, the pillows and mattress where very comfortable. I slept better here than I do at home. I had my own private bathroom with a tv that had roughly 40 channels. The entire time I was at the BB I felt as if I was in a 5 star hotel. I will not stay anywhere else than here next time I travel to Saint Johns.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I stayed here during a business trip and found this B&B a great find. Reliable WiFi, home-made, hot breakfast with strong coffee.

The owner makes sure guests are well taken care of and she offers a view into the local culture, too. The excellent downtown location made getting around super easy, with restaurants and pubs a short walk away, the theatre just around the corner.

My room was suited to my needs, even though the layout was a bit odd with an awkward entrance area. Just depends where you end up I suppose. All in all, I'd be happy to come stay here again.

Room Tip: Main floor room 2 has an odd layout with the entrance area a bit tight, others seemed to feature mor...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Staff was incredible, helpful and pleasant. Great location, close downtown. Rooms are well kept and cozy. Hot breakfast every morning only thing my dad would have liked was meat with his breakfast lol!
Would definitely return and recommend to others to stay

• Stayed September 2013

Been to The Narrows Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!