“Comfortable Hotel with Large Rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay Canada - St. John's - Downtown

You added Extended Stay Canada - St. John's - Downtown to your Saves list
Extended Stay Canada - St. John's - Downtown
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   222 LeMarchant Road, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador A1C 2H9, Canada (Formerly Extended Stay Deluxe)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in St. John's
Mississauga
“Comfortable Hotel with Large Rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

We spent two nights at this hotel at the end of a 12 day vacation. We requested a quiet room and the front desk clerk offered us a room on the 3rd floor. It was spacious and the kitchenette well equipped. Our room was spotlessly clean and quiet for sleeping. Strangely the first floor was beneath the main floor and required a separate elevator to access it.

This hotel is removed from the City centre and we found the walk back in the evening after dinner at a downtown restaurant to be taxing.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. We were offered a free shuttle service to the airport on our departure. The self-service continental breakfast was appreciated but very institutional. I suggest that the hotel have newspapers available since we could not find a variety store or newsagent in the vicinity.

The #2 bus runs along LeMarchant Road which we found convenient. The bus stops just outside the hotel.

As non-smokers we was bothered by the number of guests who smoked under the windows to the self-service breakfast room or just outside the main door.

We would gladly book accommodation at this hotel during a future visit.

Room Tip: Our third floor room overlooking a small parking lot to the south was quiet at night.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

We started at the Extended Stay for a week while visiting St. John's. We were specifically looking for a hotel with a kitchenette so we could arrange our own meals when possible. This hotel provided what we were looking for a great price.

The Extended Stay is located right at edge of 'downtown', about 10 minutes walk up from the harbour and maybe 20 minutes from The Rooms, George Street, etc.

There is a large Shoppers Drug Mart (with a decent grocery selection) 3 minutes walk southwest on Lemarchant (same road as hotel).

The hotel is not super fancy, but provides solid amenities including internet (decent speed), full kitchenette (fridge, stove, microwave, dishes), laundry downstairs, and some exercise equipment (treadmill and two bikes).

One service worth mentioning specifically as excellent was the shuttle service. We used it twice, and both drivers gave us great advice on where to visit and where to eat, and also tons of insight on Newfoundland in general. More than anything, appreciation for those encounters is why I gave this an "excellent".

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

This is a very nice hotel with friendly staff, nothing that they would not do for you. The place is spotless and the service is excellent, they serve a very nice continental breakfast. I have stayed there twice in the last two years and would certainly reserve the place again.The price is right only $129.00 per night. The only thing that I would recommend is try and book a room on the second,third,or fourth floor.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for the second or third floor on the south side of the building.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

This is a conviently located hotel (15 min walk to downtown - 9$ taxi fee) which is clean, relativly cheap and comfortable. We stayed for 2 nights after our roadtrip. The free breakfast is not too abundant. Do not forget to ask for the parking permit so to avoid unpleasant surprises.

The room has a fairly small kitchenette, but we could smell in the hallway that many people are using it - no build in airco, instead that was a rather bulky airco machine in our room.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

As we walked into our 3rd floor room at the Extended Stay in St. John's, the first things that assaulted our senses was the stale cigarette smoke and air freshener. In spite of the air conditioner blasting out cold air, our Non-Smoking room reeked like an ashtray. We called down to the front desk and were reassured that all the rooms were non-smoking. An employee was dispatched to our room and he agreed the room smelled of cigarettes and offered to spray it with the Febreeze he was carrying in his hand. We declined. Looking out the window at the view of St. Clare's Mercy Hospital, why our room smelled so bad became obvious -- residents of our hotel would come outside below our window with their beer and cigarettes to enjoy the grey skies and their first- and second-hand smoke lazily drifted up and into our window, forcing it's closure and the operation of the noisy air conditioning unit at full blast, the intake of which was beside the now-closed window. So instead of the pungent smoke passively wafting into our room, it was aggressively sucked and pumped into the confined space we paid to sleep in, compounding the constant rumbling of the AC fan through the night. This seemed like a no-win situation and the next morning we asked for and got a room on the other side of the hotel, which faced a grassy area, fence and private property -- an unlikely environment for smoking. The front of the hotel, and in spite of the signs saying otherwise, was the de facto hotel smoking and meeting area, with lights at night and benches in the form of low architectural walls.

But for the behaviour of some of the guests and the apparent inability or lack of will of the management to police and confine smoking to the appropriate area, the hotel was just fine. We skipped breakfast but the bagels looked good and fresh. The housekeeping staff were friendly and the front desk people accommodating. The hotel isn't in the best part of town but it is central, which is a plus.

Room Tip: If you don't enjoy the smell and negative health impact of cigarette smoke, choose a room at the...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 12 days, combining some sightseeing with a business trip. Overall I had a decent stay but have a few complaints.

I was a little disappointed by the kitchenette. The other Extended Stay hotels I've frequented have full kitchens, equipped with full-sized fridges, stoves, and ovens, and are basically one bedroom apartments. This was more of a bachelor with a kitchen unit (mini-fridge topped by two burners and a sink), and I found it odd to be sleeping in the same room I cooked in. I would have also preferred a better appointed kitchen, with a large mixing bowl and a bottle of dish detergent rather than single-use packets. Salt and pepper would be a great amenity.

The bathroom was spacious although there seemed to be a problem with one of the lights. I reported the bulb being out my second day there and it was replaced but then it went out again a couple of days later. There shower curtain was far too long for the height of the rod and bunched in the tub. I could have also used larger bath towels!

My biggest complaint with the hotel was the noise. One evening I heard my neighbour upstairs have a loud conversation on speakerphone or Skype. And I heard everything both parties said. The door, walls, and even ceiling are not soundproof and it made me self-conscious about any noise I might be making.

I found parking could be a bit of an issue. A few times I think I got the last parking spot in the lot and there always seemed to be commercial vehicles parked there. It made me think that the lot was being used by non-guests? There was also a MASSIVE pothole at the entrance to the driveway.

The staff were generally helpful although one day I went to the front desk to request another towel and was told there were none available. Apparently they were all in the wash. I was a little taken aback that a hotel of this size could run out of towels.

I took advantage of the laundry facilities and fitness room during my stay. I knew I'd need to do laundry so brought my own detergent although I believe the hotel had some available for purchase. the fitness room had both an elliptical and a treadmill which were find for my needs.

The location is excellent and extremely close to downtown although newcomers will quickly learn that means a good hike up a hill on the trip home! The city itself is exceptional and if you like to cook for yourself as I do on longer trips this is certainly a reasonable option.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are quieter. There are also rooms in the basement so I would avoid those. The...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I stayed 2 nights at Extended Stay, and had no problems. The hotel is within walking distance to downtown, or just a short cab ride away. The lobby and hotel room were very clean. Room was big with a kitchenette in it, and the shower had great water pressure.
Can't go wrong with free breakfast served from 6am to 10am every morning. Nothing fancy, but still good.
Small gym with decent cardio equipment in it, and beside it, laundry room for guests to use.
Not a whole lot of parking in front of the hotel, but they provide access to a parking garage across the street.
Not a five star hotel, but definitely getting a more than decent hotel room for the price. Staff is friendly and helpful. Would recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Been to Extended Stay Canada - St. John's - Downtown? Share your experiences!