“Never again.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay Canada - St. John's - Downtown

You added Extended Stay Canada - St. John's - Downtown to your Saves list
Extended Stay Canada - St. John's - Downtown
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   222 LeMarchant Road, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador A1C 2H9, Canada (Formerly Extended Stay Deluxe)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in St. John's
Edmonton, Alberta
“Never again.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We had booked ahead, arrived and were sent to the basement - yes the basement - where the room was a good size, indoor/outdoor carpet with cigarette burns all over it. Two double or queen beds - one without pillows. The staff did race to bring us pillows. Small kitchen which was handy. We stayed two nights. It was suffocatingly hot and I wasn't about to leave the window open because we were in the basement in downtown St. John's which was overrun by street people. The first morning I awoke with a horrible chest congestion and headache and the second night I had hacked and coughed all night long. When away from the hotel, my symptoms disappeared. My greatest disappointment? The bugs that we had to flick off the beds - they were beetles I believe, on both beds. I do not think they were bed bugs. This hotel is featured in the AMA guide and I've always relied on AMA to be a good judge but this hotel was quite unpleasant and I do not recommend it.

Room Tip: It is convenient to the hospital next door.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - St. John's - Downtown, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
The review you posted about your stay at our hotel was brought to my attention. Our company prides itself on providing friendly, clean and comfortable surroundings for all of our guests to enjoy which is why your remarks were so disheartening to read. Regardless, thank you very much for bringing your concerns to my attention.

I apologize you were uncomfortable and not satisfied with having a room on our first floor. The room cleanliness and maintenance issues you have mentioned are concerning and as a result of your comments; I have met with the staff to ensure all are addressed immediately and not repeated.

I apologize again for your inconvenience and unsatisfactory stay. I do hope you will try our hotel again and give us a chance to make it up to you. Should you have any further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Waterloo, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed here for one night, basically just to sleep as we flew in late and were leaving early in the morning to drive across the island. Our room smelled like stale smoke and the decor was quite outdated. There were no parking spots available, even though parking was advertised as included. I think they were just really busy that night, but we ended up parking our rental car in a precarious spot because there were no other options. The staff were friendly. We were just a bit disappointed to have to pay as much as we did for a smelly out-dated room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - St. John's - Downtown, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Thank you for your sharing your experience about your stay at our hotel. It is disheartening to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations; please accept my most sincere apologies.

As the summer months come around, the number of people who stay with us does increase. With that comes a myriad of guests enjoying the amenities provided including the kitcheonette. We try very hard to ensure that smells do not linger, but sometimes we are unsuccessful; we apologize for this inconvenience and for the lack of parking.

I do hope if you are ever back on the island that you will stay with us again and give us a chance to make it up to you. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.
ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed here for a few nights in July and it was very comfortable. Fran at the front desk was very helpful and nice. She helped us find a tour company to tour St Johns and the tour group she sent us with was awesome! The rooms are clean and comfortable. Its an easy walk to George Street from there but trust me you will want a cab or bus for teh way back as the hills are steep. I recommend staying here
thanks

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - St. John's - Downtown, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you for your glowing review of your stay at our hotel. We appreciate your positive feedback. It is wonderful to hear the staff was helpful to you, and further made your trip to our area that much more enjoyable. You are right about the hills – they can be killer!

It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future, or at any of our other brand locations. Once again, thank you so much for your kind words.
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

It's not the fanciest hotel in St. John's, but it "gets the job done". My wife and I stayed at the Extended Stay hotel for 1 week, during my brothers wedding. The price was great compared to other hotels in St Johns that are located fairly close to downtown. George street and the harbor is about 10-15 minutes walk away. The hotel is not necessarily "fancy", but there is really nothing wrong with it. The complimentary breakfast is somewhat lacking, but if your on a tight budget, it does feed you well. If your not on a tight budget, then head downtown for brunch! They are accommodating and very friendly. The rooms are nice and clean. The beds are comfortable. The internet is very fast and each room has their own hot water tank. There is an over sized bar fridge, a two element "stove", vented range and decent "galley" kitchen. Some rooms come with an extra single bed and some rooms have a couch. There's air conditioning for those rare, hot and humid St. Johns summer days/ nights. Your on a major street so walking or the bus are an option. It's about a $25 cab ride from the airport. Overall I would say a great hotel for the price!! Both my wife, and I really have no complaints. I would recommended this hotel to my friends and family. If your not from Newfoundland (we're from Manitoba) hopefully you get "Todd" at the front desk. A true Newfoundlander! He's awesome!

Room Tip: There are rooms with large flat panel TV's, a third bed, or a couch (along with your double bed...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Extended Stay Canada - St. John's - Downtown, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay Deluxe St. John's - Downtown. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our company motto is "Excellence Every Day, Every Way", and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice; after all, that's how Extended Stay Hotels(sm) got to be the largest extended stay lodging brand in North America.

Ladysmith, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised with the well appointed hotel with spacious rooms & kitchens. My room had a window that opened and an self contained air-conditioner for personal preference. Everything worked. There was someone on staff 24 hours, coffee available day and night, a complimentary continental breakfast which included cold cereals, bagels, juice, along with muffins or some other baked good. Bagels were excellent. The bread looked good too. Coffee was above standard even with coffeemate which never improves a cup of java. I did my laundry in the coin operated facility and was given some drying time by a staff member who'd finished with the dryer. Nice! Staff were friendly, helpful and happy.
Only downer was the hard edged firm springed bed which reminded me of how hotels used to be until they began ignoring ludicrous opinions from sadistic chiropractors. I was told they are gradually replacing them with pillowtop mattresses. Close enough to walk to downtown. Bus to mall stops nearby. If I came to St. Johns again, I would stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a pillowtop bed in your room as some have been updated.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

This is a no frills kind of place, priced accordingly. The room has a kitchenette with 2-burner stove, decent fridge, microwave and basic cooking/eating equipment. It is about 1 km from the west edge of what I consider "downtown," has free parking and not too far from grocery, liquor and drug stores. It is a nonsmoking hotel, and people to hang out by the doors smoking, but I didn't find that offensive (I'm a nonsmoker). In fact, my dog loved to hang out with the smokers on his way in/out of the hotel. I would probably stay here again because the value is very good. My only criticism of the property (keeping in mind it isn't claiming to be 5 star) is that the way it is constructed lends itself to noise from all sides. I had a room on the first floor, and I hear people walking around above me as if I'm in the basement of my house. I am also across the hall from the stairway to the lobby, which means a lot of traffic just outside the door. I kept this room because it is easy to get in/out with the dog.

Room Tip: I suspect the top foor is quieter because you wouldn't hear anyone moving around above you.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay Deluxe St. John's - Downtown. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. You certainly have my sincerest apologies

I am eager to respond to your issue. Please know that we strive to provide our guests with a relaxing home away from home experience. We do have systems in place to ensure that outside noise doesn't interfere with a guest's stay. Additionally, our hotels are constructed in such a way as to mitigate the noise from outside disturbances. In the event that you are disturbed by an outside event while in your room, a call to the front desk usually ensures a rapid resolution. In your case, we recognize that we failed to operate according to our standard practices, which caused the disturbance to last longer that it should have.

Corner Brook, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

This is a non-smoking building but the smokers hang around the building entrance and you have no other choice but to walk through the smell of nicotine on the way in. The elevator is located just inside the door, and the smell of smoke carries up through the elevator shaft; we could smell it on the top (4th) floor. The rooms also smelled musty / stale. The air conditioner did not work or cool the room.
Even though there was an elevator, no automatic door openers were installed and the exterior wheechair ramp did not seem to be up to code.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay Canada - St. John's - Downtown, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay Deluxe St. John's - Downtown. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why we strive so hard to accommodate them with clean, comfortable rooms at an exceptional price. In order to meet the needs of our guests, we off a complete nonsmoking facility. We do not offer smoking rooms. However, as you pointed out this creates the issues of guests smoking outside. As the summer is upon us in St Johns, we recognize the issue of smoke at our entrances. We are currently in the process of creating designated smoking areas along with detailed signed to prevent this moving forward.

Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of Extended Stay Hotels(sm)' other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.

Been to Extended Stay Canada - St. John's - Downtown? Share your experiences!