“Disappointing.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in St. John's
Appleton NL
“Disappointing.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Check in was overly professional almost a little cold. Upon entering the room it appeared to be clean, when I entered the bathroom which was separated from the sink and mirror,I immediately noticed that there was one bath towel on the top rack instead of the standard 2-4 thought it was a little odd kinda made me feel like the room was not finished. I will admit I am picky because I work as a housekeeper myself. Overall the room was clean, the layout was odd, the only garbage can in the room was out by the hallway door under the sink, not in the actual bathroom area, the basket of goodies available for purchase in the rooms in the room is a nice touch and I can see how many people buy into that. There is no mini fridge in the room, and no way to keep drinks or snacks cold overnight. The room had two double beds , my dad is 6'2 and he his feet were hanging off the end of his bed and myself at 5'6 also thought found the beds to be short. The next morning I got a bath and the drain plugged. The girl at check out was so friendly and professional, we checked out early around 7 am, she also helped us with directions. Overall it was a decent and very basic stay, I have stayed at nicer hotels in the area with better service and amenities.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Nova Scotia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

This is the hotel I stay at for work trips...sometimes. The room set up is like an old school hotel/motel.

PROS:
The rooms are clean
The beds are very comfortable
The lounge and restaurant are great! (Good food and service)

A few minor items I would suggest to management of this hotel are as follows:
CONS:
As a 'girl' the toiletries supplied here SUCK. A shampoo, 2 very small bars of soap and 1 shower cap are provided. That's it, and they are terrible. (Only the shower cap is good). I don't use the shampoo or soap, they are horrid. I acknowledge the have actually improved the soap and shampoo since my first visit a few years ago but they are not useable. Bring your own. Period. Every other hotel I have ever stayed at I use the soap and shampoo.
Business center...couldn't print a boarding pass for West Jet, the area is literallyt size of a closet (only 1 oerson could 'fit'). No chair at computer. Just weird.
Front desk staff are not overly welcoming or friendly. They did say to be sure all dial them if you needed anthing (and I did twice), but I found they were not personable and seemed rushed. I think some work on friendliness would help. Both times I called with a minor question they seemed quick to end the call...never asking " is there anything else I can help you with?" kind of atypical for Ast. John's.

I would stay here again if my coworkers do as well, but personally I suggest to stay down the road at a different hotel due to the crappy toiletires (say what you may) and cold atmosphere. The place is clean as a whistle and the food is GREAT at a decent price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

This hotel was just OK. I would only stay here again if all other hotels in the area were full. The water in the sink drained very, very slowly. Some of the towels should have been thrown away months ago. The binding on one towel was worn to the point that it was fringed all around the edge of the towel. I thought it was the bath mat until I turned around and saw the bath mat draped over the edge of the tub. The second night the sheets were pilly and it was like sleeping on sand. (Now they could have been pilly the first night but I was exhausted as our plane arrived late and we just fell into bed and passed out.) The second morning the tub filled to the overflow. When I pulled the plug to drain out a little water the overflow spewed a gross amount of brown grunge into the tub. (and I have a picture of the disgusting grunge but will not post, just picture in your mind disgusting goop) I drained the tub, scrubbed it as clean as I could with shampoo and a bar of soap and refilled it with fresh hot water. On a positive note, lots of hot water and good water pressure. Our biggest complaint was with the "complimentary high-speed wireless internet access in all rooms!" As in a previous post someone mentioned it was hit/miss. Our experience was that it was more miss than hit. We went to the front desk and asked to be moved to a room that got better wifi connection and were told that all rooms were the same. They gave us a cable to plug in our laptop which did squat for our ipads. We plugged in the laptop and it was as bad if not worse than what we had experienced without the cable. We were booked for 5 nights at the Capital Hotel but after the second night we checked out and went to the Holiday Inn. I would highly recommend the Holiday Inn. Get a room overlooking the pond and enjoy the view.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Burlington, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

stayed two nights, second stay-over in past 4 months. Thought maybe it was just a one-time problem but, like first time, internet leaves much to be desired. Wireless is hit/miss. so bring a cable. Fitness centre is underequipped unless you just like treadmills and cyclers. room ok, restaurant just ok but several chain restaurants are nearby. probably try another hotel next time just to compare.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
St.Vincent's, NL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

I love the pasta dishes served in this restaurant.The service was very good;not too long of a wait for food.All of my friends enjoyed their meals as well.The hotel itself is just ordinary with little Newfoundland charm that visitors enjoy.To get people here they need to have something extra which will make their hotel stand out from the rest on Kenmount Road.I go there for the food.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Moncton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

Was there on business.
Check-in was quick.
Room was ok but nothing special. It seemed to be clean but didn't really look it which maybe was the carpet.
Food was good at the Jack's restaurant but service was not very fast and there were a couple mistakes on the orders.
The group meal / buffet they served was pretty tasteless.
Like another review says it's a typical Steele Hotel.

Room Tip: Not sure there is a room that is better than another.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Stephenville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

This hotel is very conveniently located near major shopping centres, and business centres. The staff are exceptional. We found the food at the restaurant very good. The staff at the restaurant and front desk have worked there a long time and remember their customers. The rooms were always clean.

Room Tip: If you like the quiet as for a room at the back of the hotel instead of facing Kenmount Road.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to Capital Hotel? Share your experiences!