“Moose Soup” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Arlington, Virginia
“Moose Soup”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We got hungry on a weekend morning and saw that Humphry's was open for brunch. Since it was late morning we opted for lunch instead of breakfast and asked Nick for his recommendation. He said that the moose soup was outstanding. Neither my wife or I had ever tasted moose, and we wondered if we would be doing any harm to the moose population if we had moose soup. Nick assured us that we would be doing no harm so my wife ordered the soup. We usually order different dishes so I ordered the seafood chowder. The soup was more like a stew, full of meat and vegetables, and the chowder was packed with every type of seafood they had on hand that day. Both were absolutely delicious. Next we tried their fish and chips. The folks in St. John's usually have gravy on their fish and chips but we stayed with the way we like it with a little tarter sauce and malt vinegar. You can get two fish or one in an order. Two would have been too much and one was just right for each of us. The fries are made the old fashioned way and not messed around with and there are plenty to an order.

Thanks Nick -- we enjoyed your restaurant and were happy that we tried the moose soup..

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Very Impressed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

This place is a charm of a find. From the outside, let's be honest, it doesn't have curb appeal. But take the opportunity and go inside. The simple decor is light and very clean.

The staff was super friendly as well...checking on how things were, just enough times to show interest rather than indifference, or trying too hard. Beer was cold!

I was blown away by the pan seared cod, with fingerling potatoes. It was cooked perfectly, and simply, to let the flavour of the cod just roll through your mouth. It was excellent. Potatoes, and some broccolini were a nice side to the. I loved how the chef let the perfect preparation sell the fish on its own. No overbearing sauces; and not deep-fried.

There were some deep-fried options on the menu as well, which I would be tempted to try next time. (Cod tongues anyone?!)

If your experience is like mine, you won't be disappointed. And I would add that the friendly nature of my server was true to everyone I met in St. John's. A very friendly town, where everyone has a story to tell you.

Enjoy!

Visited July 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Deep Fried Relief ....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Our quest to find something in St Johns that was not deep fried; what a fantastic find.
Fantastic pan fried cod served with roast potatoes and veggies; perfectly cooked, super fresh.
If I had to really pick one flaw the scrunchions would have better served topping the potatoes, to hold their crunch, however they did not take away from the dish at all.
Scallops, perfectly cooked, delicious - I was skeptical about the maple but thoroughly enjoyed these.
Despite the fact we were trying to avoid deep fried we could not resist trying the onion rings ... by far the best I have ever had - no condiments required, perfectly seasoned, beautifully crunchy.
Excellent service as well.
Definitely a go to when in St Johns, don't miss it.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Perth, Australia
“Superb salmon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I dont think I've ever had fish this good in a pub. Tender, flaky and delicious this was superb! Nice atmosphere with a half-decent live singer (who could actually sing AND play the guitar) and who was choosing nice, easy to listen to music. Great place, friendly staff.

Visited April 2014
Burlington, Canada
“Scallops to Die For!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I had been to Humphry's a couple of years ago and had the best seafood pasta dish ever made!

I suggested this restaurant to our large group and we were all satisfied. I had the scallop dish, which was very good. Along with a well done salad. Some had the pasta and raved about it.

Our server was excellent!

• Visited June 2014