“Better than usual hotel restaurants” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oppidan

Oppidan
115 Cavendish Square | Sheraton Hotel, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #64 of 313 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Mississauga
“Better than usual hotel restaurants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We were staying at the hotel and decided to try the hotel restaurant one night rather than venturing out. We were pleasantly surprised - the service was great, the food was very good, They still do table side caesar salads and pepper steaks - which I had not seen in a long time. We started with the seafood chowder which was wonderful and I had the lobster bisque, which was topped with pieces of the most tender lobster I had ever eaten. The whole meal was wonderful - a nice experience.

Visited September 2012

St. John's, Canada
“Well, it's not the Cabot Club, but it's not bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

This was formerly a top level restaurant but now with Sheraton taking over the hotel, is just a slightly better than average place for supper.
The food was all quite good and the portions reasonable. The decor is nice.
There were a couple of the old specials on the menu and our party ordered all to try them but nothing was quite as good as we remember. There were no standouts.
Service was in keeping with a hotel restaurant - friendly but slow and not high class.
Overall it is a nice restaurant for a meal but can't compete with Atlantica.
Too bad.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Great breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I had breakfast at the Sheraton, and the Oppidan's service was top notch and the food was amazingly good. The service was also wonderfully warm, but somewhat inattentive on the weekend side of things.

Visited September 2012
Steady Brook, Canada
“Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Had the breakfast buffet in the morning before checking out of the hotel. At the time we were there it was not busy there may have been 6 other tables in the whole place and it still took like 20 minutes for someone to come ask us if we wanted tea or coffee. The buffet was good, 4 options of juice, a selection of yogurt, fresh fruit, bagels and croissants, porridge, beans, bacon and sausage and eggs as well as cold cereals. It was well done with what I thought was a great selection. This cost $18 each which is a bit high for me but maybe cheap to some.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Canada
“Scrunchions!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

First night in St Johns. Tired, grumpy and hungry. Checked into the Sheraton and went down for a bite at 10pm. I was the only person in the restaurant but they made me feel very welcome and like I had all the time in the world. Was served by an excellent and personable waiter named Fabian. He recommended the chowder and the cod with pork scrunchions. I LOVED both! Chowder had huge chunks of fish and scallop. Cod was a massive piece and the scrunchions, (small pieced of pork fat deep fried I think) were delicious! I would eat here again in a second and am really looking forward to my next trip to the rock! Well done Oppidan!

Visited August 2012