“Home Away from Home” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Canada
“Home Away from Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2008

We chose this B&B as we loved the name and unlike many B&Bs it had a room with 2 single beds. We made a great choice! Janet and Garry are the new owners and are so welcoming, friendly, helpful and even stayed up late for our arrival.
The turn of the century charm is well maintained in this clean and comfy house. The beds are really comfortable with soft duvets and each room has its own bathroom and TV.
The breakfasts were awesome and Janet even made gluten free pancakes and muffins for us. There was tea and coffee available anytime and even muffins, yoghourt etc for a snack.
It was so good to come in after walking and settling down on the comfy sofa with a cup of tea and a book - just like home!
It is in a perfect location - walking distance to everything - Signal Hill, downtown and all the points of interest. We rented a car and Janet and Garry gave us suggestions as to good places to see on our travels and a parking permit so that we could park outside the door ( and elsewhere in town)
I would highly recommend this as a #1 place to stay with reasonable rates

• Liked — So relaxing and welcoming (- just like home) and Great hosts
  • Disliked — Not being able to stay longer!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
traveling
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

Please ignore any negative prior reviews because the beautifully appointed Victorian home is now under loving care of new owners, Janet and Garry. We're staying two weeks across NL in B&B's, and the little bit extra for this B&B was worth every penny. Our room (#4 on the top floor) was spacious, the wi-fi worked perfectly, the hostess and host were friendly and helpful, and the location was ideal. The whole experience was first class. For breakfast the first day we had Creme Brulee French Toast with sausage; the second day Eggs Benedict.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2007

I recently stayed at the Wit's Inn B&B for three nights. It was my first time visiting St. John's and I was traveling alone. I arrived to find no one around which I would have appreciated since I had to lug a heavy suitcase up three flights of stairs. The morning after checking in I was met by the home owner, Linda. She was polite but not overly friendly or helpful when I enquired about shopping, restaurants and tours. In fact, Linda never spend any time getting to know me or making any helpful suggestions to enhance my visit to St. John's. My experience with staying at B&B's is that the owners usually take an interest in their guests and try to help out with suggestions/ideas about places to visit, shop and restaurants to try. I did not find that to be the case with this homeowner. For that reason, I wouldn't stay there again. I was told each morning what breakfast would be cooked for me. There wasn't a choice. The food was tasty but the portion small. My room was small but clean. The furniture, flooring and wall colors were dark and cold feeling. The bed was exceptionally comfortable. There was always hot water but the water had a brown tinge to it. It also tasted odd so I didn't drink it. The home is nicely furnished and is clean. It's about three blocks from the harbour but not necessarily close to the downtown shopping and restaurant district. Parking is on the street with a permit.

Stayed June 2007
Saskatchewan, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2005

We stayed in three different rooms as we came and went on our trip to the Rock. All three were nicely furnished and comfortable with none of the clutter of some B&B's. Breakfast was different every morning with excellent variety. Our friendly hosts always had snacks available in the common room along with free high speed internet. We never had any trouble finding parking on the street close to our B&B.

• Stayed July 2004
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2003

A wonderful and comfortable B&B, the staff members(Tonya & Winnie)were only too glad to help you with anything and personality plus in both.
The B&B is located in the heart of downtown St.John's within walking distance to many shops and activities, and did I mention the accomadations and breakfasts were beyond expectations. Would I recomend At Wit's End to fellow travellers, you bet, I have already told several friends of our homey experience while staying there. Keep up the great work girls. Norma & Alan Guest of Sept. 23-25th

Been to At Wit's Inn? Share your experiences!