“One of the better hotels in St. John's NF” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland to your Saves list
Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   115 Cavendish Square, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador A1C 3K2, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #7 of 20 hotels in St. John's
Nova Scotia
“One of the better hotels in St. John's NF”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Older hotel but clean and in good condition. Friendly front desk staff. The king room was a good size with a wonderful view of the water. The rooms are quiet and clean. The food in the concierge level was descent and non alcoholic beverages were included. The hotel is conveniently located close to restaurants and the main streets. We would likely choose to stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose the water view if you can it is a beautiful harbor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Our location is definitely a great benefit enjoyed by all of our Guest whether they want to be near all the amazing restaurants, experience the fantastic shopping or take in the night life that is George Street. And, let's not forget those spectacular harbour views. We are very glad to hear that our location was convenient for your needs and that the room and staff met your expectations. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back once again.

337 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Ive stayed at this property on a few occasions and never had any issue. As an SPG Platnium member I enjoy the perks and the service level that comes from Sheraton.

The only good thing about my stay was I was able to check in early, by doing so meant no club room (which was more than fine, as I was exhausted) I asked if the gym was still 24hrs, I was informed the gym was closed but a temporary fitness centre was set up in another room with varied hours)

Went up for appetizers in the club lunge after 5, people hoarded the food and no one replaced anything (so glad I got 1 piece of cheese)

When I went to bed the gong show started, noise, noise and more noise. Loud thumping music and people talking in the hallway. I opened my door twice to ask them to go into their room, then I called down twice. I did not fall asleep til 2am.

The next morning I get up to find this temporary gym, and walk around to look and cant find it. I go back to my room and call the front desk and am informed there is no gym till the renos are done.

I get ready for breakfast and go up to lounge for a second dose of disappointment, again slim pickings (at 820am) I settled for a banana and yoghurt as the scrambled eggs looked like something that had been out since 7am.

Upon check out, when asked how my stay was I told the lady very disappointing. I got a sorry for the noise but we are busy. Considering my stay was very expensive and I was not informed of no gym(which is my #1 amenity in a hotel and no other option was provided) as well as all the perks of a SPG platnium member were just garbage,and lest not forget the noise. I expected more.

I dont care how busy a hotel is, if you cant take care of your valued members maybe you dont deserve to be part of a high end chain,

Room Tip: Unless it is the only option, book elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
We are extremely disappointed to hear that your experience and the service you received did not meet your expectations. We would like to apologize for the miscommunication regarding the temporary fitness facility while we were doing renovations (which are now complete). We did, in fact, have a temporary facility in place up until a few days before re-opening our regular location and it appears as though your stay coincided with this transition. Again, we apologize this was not communicated to you properly. We have also followed up with our team regarding the food selection on our Club floor and the departure experience in order to ensure consistency of service. I invite you to contact me directly at chris.hayden@sheratonhotelnewfoundland.com in order to discuss your stay as we certainly hope for the opportunity to welcome you back, and to experience the level of service we have become known for.
Holden, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed two nights in this hotel in St. John's . The location was pretty good and we could easily walk to our sightseeings. The breakfast was quite good, but not included Room was nice and clean but had the view of the parking lot. At least we could see our car was safe.
The young girl at the reception could have been more polite. The hotel has a nice lobby area and a small swimming pool downstairs. The lady in the lobby bar was very friendly.
This was the most expensive hotel on our trip but not nearly the best.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are happy to read that your dining experience from the food quality to the service was an enjoyable one. I have also passed along your favourable comments about the room cleanliness to our Housekeeping department. We are disappointed to hear that your stay was not the highlight of your trip to Newfoundland. We have followed up with our reception team to ensure our Guest's arrival experience is one that surpasses all expectations. I would like to have the opportunity to discuss all aspects of your stay, I can be reached at chris.hayden@sheratonhotelnewfoundland.com.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed at the Sheraton in St. John's recently as part of a legal convention. Because I am a Starwood Preferred Guest member, I was given a room on the top floor (7th floor) with a harbour view. The view was stunning. The room was spotless and large. The service was first-rate - very courteous and helpful. Plus, the conference facilities were excellent, for a group of 200. Too bad I could not have stayed longer!

Room Tip: Choose the harbour view!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Who could get tired of reading headlines like that? We are happy to hear you had such a great experience here at the Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland. I will make sure to pass along your comments to all of our departments as our assoicates take great pleasure in hearing our Guests never want to leave. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you once again.
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

The hotel has a great location and the lady who checked us in was utterly charming. She blended the professional and the personal perfectly and was a credit to the company. Room had a lovely harbour view and was very comfortable. It was brilliant to have internet access in the lobby since we didn't travel with our laptops. I'm not totally sure the amenities warrant the hefty cost per night though.
My main concern relates to the day we checked out. It was, admitted, an unusual and stressful day for the staff since it heralded the tail-end of Tropical Storm Leslie. We were a bit concerned at the lack of emergency lighting during the morning's power failures. Luckily, our room was near the end of a corridor and close to the 5th floor stairway, because we would have been trying to get ourselves and our cases through a pitch dark corridor otherwise. I'm not sure how elderly guests would have managed. Staff in the lobby were doing their very best and were handing out torches. But it was a bit of an unsettling end to an otherwise good stay. I totally appreciate that days like that Tuesday are very difficult for staff members to cope with, but no emergency lighting?

Room Tip: You really need to get a harbour view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay here at the Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your view of St.John's Harbour and that your arrival experience was an enjoyable one. As you stated, the day of your check out was indeed a bit of an anomaly with Tropical Storm Leslie. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you endured due to the conditions which arose. As with any emergency event we experience we have reviewed the procedures we have in place in order to ensure our Guest satisfaction and safety. I would be more than happy to discuss these with you, as well as your stay, should you wish. I can be reached directly at chris.hayden@sheratonhotelnewfoundland.com
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights during our stay in Newfoundland. Location is great, in the heart of St. John's with some amazing views of the harbor. Service was friendly and went slightly beyond the level of service I expected. I had forgotten my phone charger at home and I asked the person at the check-in counter if he had any cables or a charger and he brought one from the back! I was so glad as I use my phone often as a GPS tool and this saved our trip.

We got the club lounge as part of our room. It was very good for North American standards with hot snack food (chicken wings, potatoes, meatballs and even fish) served in the evening and great breakfast egg sandwiches for the morning. Starbucks coffee, juices, soft drinks and water was included which saved us a lot of money. The only thing I would have liked is longer hours for the club lounge as the breakfast closed at 930am on weekdays, which is way too early.

Parking was free but with somewhat limited spots (although we got one with some searching). Good beds and clean room. Design of the hotel was outdated and needs renovation

Overall - reccomended!

Room Tip: Get the club lounge if possible and if it's not too expensive. St. John's has fairly expensi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay. As you mentioned we do indeed have a great location downtown with amazing views of the city and harbour. We are thrilled to hear your feedback regarding the level of service you received as it is a source of great pride amongst our associates that they exceed Guest expectations. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to St.John's.
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stay in a lot of hotels, and perhaps it really, really requires a facelift and service upgrades.

It may have been because the NDP convention was at the same time, but the room was hard to get into, with the closet and the bathroom no more than a step into the room. You had to be really careful not to trip into the room.

I will say that the staff is friendly, but there were numerous times when I called for guest services that there was absolutely no response on the phone. I just want a wake up call without waiting 15 minutes to talk someone. Or my valet parking was also the busboy, and took 20 minutes to get? Of course, I shouldn't have gotten valet parking in retrospect, but the first night, was really, really late when we got in, and I simply didn't know better.

The location is wonderful and easy to get around, and the hospitality is great, but the rooms are old and dated. The mattress was lumpy, and the pillows were soft. They do try and Newfoundlanders are wonderful people when you meet them.

Room Tip: Get a harbour view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
LDelurey, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
We appreicate you taking the time to post your review. Any and all guest feedback is important to us. I sincerly apologize as it appears you may have had an unrenovated room. We are continuing our renovations and will continue to do so until all have been renovated, we are nearing 65 percent of our bedrooms now. Happy to know you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We staff sufficiently due to business levels however certain days there are circumstances beyond our control that could affect service. All of our rooms are equipped with Sweet Sleeper beds and for the most part have received nothing but compliments . We are concerned and would like to speak to you in person. Our Manager on Duty would be happy to take your call.

Been to Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland? Share your experiences!