“Amazing weekend!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gower Street House Bed and Breakfast

You added Gower Street House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Gower Street House Bed and Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   180 Gower St., St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador A1C 1P9, Canada   |
Ranked #17 of 25 St. John's B&B and Inns
Victoria
“Amazing weekend!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My wife and I were very impressed by the service we received the quality of the breakfast (delicious and fresh), and the room we stayed in (very clean and air conditioned). Very accommodating and helped recommend some destinations and directions that were very helpful.
We found the location to be perfect for exploring downtown St johns and the heritage areas.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Gower house is one of the nicest places I've ever stayed in. I received a very warm welcome from the staff, they showed me to my room and were very informative about the whole city. My bedroom was amazing, super clean, and the bed was *wow* very comfortable. I was so happy with the air conditioning especially on a muggy day. This place holds the specs of Newfoundland; friendly, witty and extremely generous!

Room Tip: My room was awesome so I'm assuming all of them are just as good. Just wake up early to get your...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
AdvanceBooker, Resident Host at Gower Street House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
How very kind. Any feedback is always welcome, positive feedback starts my day with a smile:
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Gower House staff were gracious and helpful towards family members who were home for a wedding. The rooms were clean and the breakfast was delicious and well-prepared. I was quite pleased with the level of service and would definitely recommend this B&B to anyone wishing to stay in the downtown area of our beautiful city!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
AdvanceBooker, Resident host at Gower Street House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Lovely feedback from a lovely lady
Stephenville, Newfoundland, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My stay was excellent there on July 6th and 7th, my room was neat and clean, my bed was was very comfortable during the stay :) Breakfast was hot and ready when i woke up in the mornings and when asked for something different the 2nd morning, it was done with no problems, i stayed at Gower house many times and i suggest this place for many to stay when in St.Johns, The extra bonus of Gower house is the location, its near Downtown and close to alot of restaurants, the Inn always has a list of the local businesses that people can check out and so far everyone i tried was a great choice. Another bonus is rooms with Air conditioning, also heat is controlled easy in the room to make the temperature the way i wanted to be. Free internet and cable was also a good feature in Gower House. The staff was friendly and if i had any questions all i had to do was ask and was resolved on the spot. I will be staying there again shortly for a few days and i have no doubt in my mind i will have another excellent stay

Room Tip: AC and Free internet/Cable is a plus Location to Downtown is excellent
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Gower House is a really cozy place. Very friendly and helpful staff. It's in a superb location and I loved my stay there, A home away from home....I would advise anyone visiting the beautiful city of St John's to stay here....Absolutely amazing...

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Teeswater, ON Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This B&B was a disappointment to my husband and I during our 2 night stay June 27th & 28th. This relates to the lack of hospitality and service provided and oversights in preparing our room. Although our host was pleasant, there was no friendliness or attempt to interact with guests. Being a student, it appeared that he was seldom around. When we arrived on a cool rainy day with no one to greet us, the first problem evident was the gust of cold air blowing in around the air conditioner. It had not been properly fitted to the window and there was more than a 2 inch gap of open air between the unit and the window frame. Interestingly enough, having air conditioning was mentioned as a plus feature when I made the booking. It certainly would not have worked efficiently had the weather been hot and it was no certainly no asset to us. Since no one was around to help, we managed to slide the unit out and left it set on ledge. Another amenity, the blackout blind, was broken and did not function properly. The shower was another aggravation. On the first morning I struggled for a significant amount of time adjusting taps to try and get the right temperature (i.e. first too hot, then not hot enough). Finally I gave up and settled for a shower cooler than I would have liked with rather poor pressure. The next morning when I showered earlier, it was not so problematic. I certainly have no problem with the request to keep water off the floor, however, there was no shower floor mat which left only towels to wipe up the spillage that is inevitable (especially with a plastic curtain). I mistakenly used my husband’s damp towel only to find out later that there was no replacement of towels for the next day and none available in storage that could be easily accessed. The most serious oversight in the room was noticed on the morning we were departing. There was no smoke detector in the empty bracket above the door. It likely was the one later noticed lying on the window ledge outside our room.
On the first morning I was surprised to be served eggs done sunny side up with no request as to guest’s preference in how to cook their egg. Since I do not like runny whites the next morning I specifically requested ‘easy over’ and they were fine. Another concern on the first day was that the orange juice tasted ‘off’. I wondered if it was starting to ferment...yuck! I cautiously took a sip the next day and it was fine. The coffee was good but both mornings some of the guests had a significant wait for the second brew to get there first cup. This is the type of thing could be easily fixed by an attentive staff.
One guest mentioned how flexible and understanding management was in making last minute changes to her booking. That was great, however, I would caution prospective guest who might think this is the norm. I was told that they would require 1 week notice to make cancellations. Another couple during our stay appeared to have changed their mind about staying an extra night and were told that even if they were able to rebook the room for that night, they would be charged the full rate.
All in all 180 Gower Street had some good features mentioned by other guests including a good location, comfortable bed, and nice décor. However, when we return on our next trip to this lovely province we will be seeking accommodation elsewhere!

Room Tip: Room 4 and above are on the third floor so keep this in mind if stairs are a problem. Cozy, means ve...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
We are very sorry that the evening these folks were with us did not meet their expectations.

They had been scheduled to arrive the previous day. When they didn't arrive as booked, we were able to track them down to confirm that there was no booking error and that they wanted their room held.

The 1/2 inch foam insert had slipped away from the side of the air conditioner. Few B&B's in the Province even have air conditioning.

We wish they would have mentioned it to us or called one of our three contact numbers and we would certainly have replaced it in a few minutes.

There are five windows in this room.

We will have to explore ways of preventing the removal of mounted air conditioners by a guest.

If one were to slip away, a serious injury could have been caused to some innocent passer by.
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Just slept here 1 Night now and I have to confess, my bed at home is not as comfortable as the bed here...

Rooms are very clean, everything works, there is a tv... Not sure what else to ask for :)

Definitely recommendable!

• Stayed June 2013
AdvanceBooker, Resident Manager at Gower Street House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
GThat is Mr Sears for the high quality bedding and Mr CostCo for the gel foam cover. Most of our guests truly love it :))

Been to Gower Street House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!