“great long weekend!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Seely's Motel

You added Seely's Motel to your Saves list
Seely's Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   21 Bellevue Heights, Shediac, New Brunswick E4P 1G9, Canada   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Shediac
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
“great long weekend!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We had a great long weekend at Seeley's Motel in Shediac. The rooms were slightly dated but clean and a great size. The pool was perfect for my 10 year old son. For the adults the area around the pool was a bit too warm for our liking, felt like we wanted some fresh air. The location is wonderful and central to everything. This was not the first visit and wont be the last! Thanks!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
CSGMSML, General Manager at Seely's Motel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
We appreciate your feedback & look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Seeley's Motel in Shediac,N.B. for 2 nights-16-17,/07/2013 and were totally satisfied for the following reasons:
-the rooms were clean and the mattress comfortable .
-our small suite had an excellent air conditioner
-the staff were friendly and helpful
-I didn't feel well and changed our initial reservation from 3 to 2 nights. Management gave us a
refund with a smile.
-The Motel is near the centre of the Town and close to the famous Parlee Beach.
-I stayed there last summer and returned this summer
-The breakfast was basic and perfectly met our needs.

Room Tip: Look for cleanliness and fair price with a smile.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
CSGMSML, General Manager at Seely's Motel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. It is important to us that we be committed to your comfort and strive to achieve this each and every day. We look forward to your next visit.
Saint John, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This review is based on my honest and well travelled opinion.............

My husband and I and our two children, a toddler and 10 year old stayed here for two nights (July, 2013). We were initially going to camp, but being tired and business owner's ourselves, we decided to pay for a hotel hoping that we could have some of the comforts of home after spending our days on the beach.

First I want to say the outside of the property is very nice and the pool is wonderful. The accommodation's were very basic, at least the room we stayed in was. We were in room 103 and it was the handicapped room, meaning things such as the shower were altered. We were not made aware of this or offered another room.

Upon arriving, we were one hour early checking in. My husband went in and was promptly given our key, when we entered the room it was a total mess and the maid had not been there to clean up after the previous occupant. (upon check out when I mentioned this to the clerk she argued with me that we were made aware that the room was not ready, that was a total lie)We also noticed the bathroom door (folding door) was completely off the track. I called the front desk and they said that they would have it cleaned right away. I said we were leaving for the beach anyway....It was then I noticed the bathroom door, called again, the girl said thank your for my patience...here is the rest:
- first night about 9pm I pulled out the couch for the kids, no sheets, no blankets, no pillows, took an hour for the guy to bring some (and two tries, the first he brought a blanket :-(
-the shower had a wooden bench that takes 3/4 of the stall, it would not stay up, coupled with the shower head that kept shutting off there was no relaxing shower..
-we were not given towels for a family but only two bath towels...
-we were given a 7am complimentary wake up call both mornings of our vacation, very very upsetting with a tired toddler....not nice to have the phone ringing so early on vacation!!
-the breakfast was the worst I have ever had at a hotel. The bread (as a previous review states) was outdated and this in my opinion is not ok, be it frozen or not. The milk and juice were not individual but in large containers sitting in about an inch of ice....Very basic, very cheap, not good. I am in the food service business and I would never serve such substandard food to my clients, ever. When I told the clerk about the out dated bread, she said no it isn't, showed her the outdated bag, she then said its frozen....
-bring your own toilet paper as theirs is about as soft as sandpaper and actually hurt to use...we had to buy our own....
-upon check out I asked for a manager, the "new" young girl working called the owners home, and spoke to a lady that told her he was not home and to leave my name and number and that I would be called on Monday. Nobody would even speak to me on the phone.

I was charged the full price $125 per night plus tax on my credit card and basically told too bad. I warn anyone thinking of going here to be very careful, I found it to be a total rip off and when no manager or owner would at least speak to me I realized what I was dealing with and left. During the entire stay and upon check out "I'm sorry" was never said once....

PS The free wifi was awful...cut in and out and could not really be used...

We are a hard working, happy family that just wanted a long weekend at the beach. I want to warn other people not to waste their hard earned money on a motel that not only makes a lot of errors, but does not even have the decency to address them and speak to unhappy customers.

I feel mislead and totally ripped off, buyer beware :-(

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 103, it is the handicapped room and the folding bathroom door falls off the trac...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
CSGMSML, General Manager at Seely's Motel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
To the Unidentified Reviewer (TripAdvisor advised)

We welcome honest and non-malicious reviews and not fraudulent or misrepresented ones. It is difficult to address your review when it is in fact associated and connected to another reviewer earlier in the year and where you have misrepresented yourself here. Indentify yourself and prove that you stayed here. A trip advisor account set up earlier this year to review your well travelled City of Saint John is beyond suspicious.
North Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Room was clean and pleasant. Friendly and helpful owner. Be sure to bargain a little, though. We were originally quoted a price of $95 but this was quickly lowered to $75 when we said that we were going to go across the road to check the motel next door. Would stay here again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
CSGMSML, General Manager at Seely's Motel, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. While this is not always our practice, we welcomed the opportunity to assist you in this way. Thank you again, we look forward to serving you in the future.
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

In September 2012 our company held a four day event at Seely's Motel and the management and staff went out of their way to make it outstanding! The rooms were comfortable and clean and our guests from all across Canada were pleased.

Our needs were hotel rooms, the banquet room (with audio equipment) and the outdoor patio. Seely's handled our coffee breaks each day and we held our Annual General Meeting on site and had it catered by a local restaurant which worked out really well. We had several other vendors and Shediac businesses help us out and the Seely's staff was great at receiving them and managing all our requests.

The amenities in the area (Point du Chene wharf, Parlee Beach, shopping, local restaurants) were fun and Seely’s offered suggestions to make our event pleasurable for all our guests. They arranged transportation when needed, especially to and from the Moncton airport to pick up guests.

It was a well-run event and Seely's helped make it successful with reasonable pricing and great customer service, from the initial planning with Carson Seely, the manager, and Danielle Bourque, to the entire front desk and cleaning staff. Just tremendous support – thank you Seely’s!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
London Ont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We arrived late at night and were greeted by a very nice older gentleman who seemed to have been in this business a long time. We asked for just a basic room for my husband & our 2 children as we did not need anything special as we were leaving early in the morning to visit family in Souris PEI and then on to Sydney NS & could not dirve the rest of the way. To our surprise, the room was very nice with a sofa and chair with coffee table. This was not what we expected. The room was large, very clean, modern and even had a whirlpool type bathtub. We stayed again on our return home from Sydney as we had enjoyed our stay the first time. This time we took a family room with 2 beds and separate queen bedroom in the same room with flat panel tv's in each room. VERY NICE for Family travellers. (no fighting over the TV) Again the room was large, clean and as expected. The Breakfast was basic but good value for the money. I would recommend this Motel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
CSGMSML, General Manager at Seely's Motel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for your comments.

Our goal is to provide the most comfortable experience possible. We strive to offer NON “cookie cutter” options for room configurations. Our family suites truely are a convenient and accommodating option for families or 2 couples travelling together. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.
St. John's, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I have read some of the other reviews and rebuttals by management and I am amazed. We stayed there for two nights (no other accommodations available in town) and never even turned down the sheets. The bathroom was very dirty, there was soap scum on the shower handle, there was garbage on top of the TV stand, there was crumbs on the floor, and there was dirt on the bathroom walls.(SEE PICTURES). The lights bulbs in our lamps were burned out and when I asked the front desk staff for another, I was told that I had to remove the bulbs and bring them to the desk before they could give me another...as though I were planning to steal the bulbs lol. The housekeeping staff were asked to meet me at my room at my request and the kind housekeeper switched the bulbs. When I approached the front desk, the clerk greeted me with "What?" instead of hello or how can I help you. The only nice staff I encountered were the elderly housekeeper and the Sunday morning desk clerk. the others were curt, rude and sometimes rolled their eyes. We slept on top of the covers after finding crumbs in the bed. We bought bleach and Lysol wiped to wash the door handles etc, as the toilet and sink are in different rooms, making you wonder how many dirty hands open that bathroom door. (AGAIN SEE PICTURES). I have read management rebuttals on the breakfast. There was the standard jams, peanut butter etc. There was 2 juices, tea bags, coffee and hot water.The hot water was in one of the coffee pots, with a Styrofoam cup played in it to keep in the heat. The cup was warped on the bottom (slightly melted). who knows what chemicals are seeping into the water. I had to wash a cereal bowl, as I tried three all of which were dirty despite the fact that there was a dishwasher. And I know they run the dishwasher because on Saturday morning, while folks were still eating (approx 8:45) the front desk clerk began putting things away, and slammed the dishwasher door several times. And then there was the milk...on the first morning I noticed the milk was expired..my hubby went up and told the clerk who put it back in the fridge and out out another milk. On Sunday morning when we went back to breakfast..low and behold there was the expired milk again. (see pics). There are so many things about this motel that are wrong that I don't know where to go from here. The pics online are deceiving, and I don't know what standards of cleanliness folks are used to if they give this the highest rating....perhaps CAA is only shown the honeymoon suite? Or one or two particular rooms...all I can say is, we payed almost $100 a night, had to eat breakfast out, and had to clean the room with lysol wipes and sleep on the top. None of these things impressed us...and we will never return....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
CSGMSML, General Manager at Seely's Motel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Having reviewed and discussed the comments with all of the staff concerned and further with Tripadvisor, I am unable to pursue this any further at this time and have referred this appropriately. The reviewer privately requested a refund after staying 3 days without speaking to management during her stay.
Management does not agree with this review & has several reservations discussed with the reviewer in private messages not shown here with regards to the issues presented. While Tripadvisor has choosen a course of action to resolve, management is not in agreement with actions taken by the customer to provide evidence of the claimed review.

Been to Seely's Motel? Share your experiences!