“A nice change” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Shediac, Canada
“A nice change”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My wife and I visited Suwanna on a whim and it paid off. The food,service and atmosphere were very good. We had some green curry dishes and they were a nice change to our normal eating habits. My wife now is a fan of curried food and she enjoyed her meal very much, she was not a fan of curry prior to our visit. I would highly recommend that everyone try this wonderful food experience.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Saint John, Canada
“Always a Great Evening At Suwanna”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was pleased to be invited to a birthday dinner being held at Suwanna last weekend. There were ten people in attendance, eight adults and two very well behaved children. The meal was excellent and so was the service.

I am a great fan of Pad Thai (theirs does NOT have Cilantro, which I hate!) and you can get it either with shrimp or chicken.

Their food is served on platters in the centre of the table, with each diner getting a plate of rice, which may be replenished if requested. It is a very social way of dining and everyone can try everything.

I recommend it highly to locals and visitors alike.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Saint John, NB
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Suwanna's is a great place for groups. The restaurant is in an old house with lots of character. The food is always good but there are so many choices it is good to go with a group so you can order several items and share. Prices are in the mid to high range.

Visited February 2013
Eastern Canada
“If you love curry, you'll love your time here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Great Thai food, would go more often but they seem to need reservations and i never plan that far ahead... Love to share multiple varieties with a group of friends

New Brunswick, Canada
“Not a fine dining experience.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I am really quite surprised with our dining experience last Friday night. This is suppossed to be one of the nicest restaurants in Saint John. My wife and I picked this restaurant for our 7th wedding anniversary because we had both attended here together when we first met and as well she had attended multiple times before. The house/restaurant are lovely however it was quite shocking to both of us to be handed a laminated, plastic menu. There is one side and then the other.... that's it... wine and everything. VERY cheap looking and not what you'd expect from this calibre of restaurant.

I have considered for the past week about contacting the owner and then I thought, why bother because even best case scenario I wouldn't even want to be comped for a free meal.

First off, the food was very good... which is what most readers here will want to read. The server was terrible really and was really relying on the kitchen to come through for the overall experience. She knew nothing about the menu and had to keep going back and forth. We had an 8pm reservation which we arrived right on time for. Their site says they accept reservations until 8:30 pm and close at 10:00 pm. BEFORE 10 PM we were practically being ushered out the door... we were the only customers left and they were putting chairs up on the tables all around us.

My wife and I were celebrating our 7th wedding anniversary with another couple,who are great friends, and the other couple were very uncomfortable about staying longer despite me saying that we didn't need to go anywhere. They said "Well they are stacking chairs on the table so we should go".

This ruined the end of our evening and we will definitely not return to this restaurant which is disappointing because it was so much better 8 years ago.

INTERESTING SIDE NOTE: After writing this review to this point and posting it, I called and actually spoke to the owner. I had it all typed up and thought I'd give him a chance to explain this to us.... he made excuses for 20 minutes despite the fact that I told him I was going to post a negative review on T.A. After speaking with the owner of this place I will NEVER go to this restaurant again. I am offended on so many levels. All he did was defend his staff's negative behavior. Well, Franz, here's your negative review.... I can't believe, after the fact, that I wasted my time on you to try and make this right.... I didn't even ask you for anything! Any reputable restaurant would've asked for us to come back for another experience. It's not about the money..... your restaurant failed miserably on this evening.

• Visited December 2012