“worst hotel ever!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Colonial Inn

Save Saved
You added Colonial Inn to your Saves list
Colonial Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   175 City Road | P.O. Box 2149, Saint John, New Brunswick E2L 3T5, Canada   |
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Saint John
Moncton, Canada
“worst hotel ever!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

From the Rooms to the most ignorant housekeepers ever, to the smell and dirt of the place you would be better staying in a hostel.It was the worst room i have ever been in .We will never return and i hope noone else has the misfortune of staying there either.Looks like a converted crack shack.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Oxford Station
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

The outside door leaked cold air, we had to place the mini fridge, towels and pillows to help stop the air flow.

When we reported the problem, they provided us with a portable heater. Even with the heater running all night it was only 66 by the morning.

Even the girl at the front desk was wearing gloves to keep warm.

• Stayed January 2011
Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

If you're traveling with pets don't stay here. They charge $10 per pet per night, but there is almost no place to walk your dogs, no grassy areas, unless you feel safe walking your dogs behind the hotel fence along the railroad tracks, which are not lit at night.

The air conditioner/heater did not work in my room and when I called to get it fixed I was told "we no it's not working but there's nothing we can do about it and we're booked full so we can't move you to a different room".

The rooms were non-smoking but the hallways reeked of cigarette smoke.

When asked if there was breakfast in the morning I was told that the restaurant served breakfast but you had to pay for it. When staying at a hotel that is over $100 per night I kind of expect to get at least a continental breakfast!

When I went to check out I was told that I owed money on my bill. When I explained that I had paid cash, and explained what bills I used and who I paid it to, they tried to call the staff person but couldn't get ahold of him and told me that I still owed the money. I explained it again, they said they'd try to watch the security tape but couldn't find the remote control to access the tape and tried to get me to pay. This was ridiculous, especially after they put me in a room that they knew the heater/air was not working and they refused to take any money off my bill for that.

Overall this hotel appeared old, and run down, with no updates and I would not recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
New Brunswick, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

If you're on welfare or a crack addict then this place is for you. I stayed here 21 years ago and it was pretty nice back then. The place has gone to heck. I felt unsafe and like a member of lower society. I don't care HOW low the price. Unless you can't afford anything else stay somewhere else. I only stayed here out of absolute neccessity. AWFUL!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Saint John, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

Let me tell you from a Local point of view....Eeewwww.. I thought. Big Deal one night. It's cheap. When this first opened in 1500 BC it was probably decent. I swear it smelled like Cat pee. I dont even know about the carpet. Honestly, I don't even have words for it. The restaurant....hahaha..Ok The Breakfast is a buffet style. If you want toast you go over to a small table. Roll up your sleeve and take a piece of bread out of the bag and pop it in the toaster. Hmmm. Not a big fan of taking a yeasty moist piece of bread after someone elses hand. The Gambling machines are right in the dining area. The road is a high traffic, take forever to get out of place. The owners should pay someone to burn it to the ground, collect the insurance and you know what...forget it. They probably wouldnt get enough to build anything new anyway.

Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Tucson, AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

We booked the Colonial Inn thru Expedia while on an extensive trip throughout the East Coast and Canadian Maritimes. We trusted Expedia to represent quality products at fair prices, but this was not the case in our opinion. The Colonial is in an undesireable (did not feel safe) and noisy location (just off Hwy 1). We only needed one night -- thank goodness. It is a very old property and is not well maintained. It was not clean to our standards. There was garbage piled against the building, cigarette burns on the blankets, lumpy mattress, thin threadbare sheets, crumbling stairways, old dirty cracked flooring, thread bare carpets/rugs, dingy hallways. The staff was very nice and polite. There is an on-site restaurant which was very welcome to us after a long day on the road. The service was excellent and the food wholesome and tasty. They also offer a full buffet breakfast which looked fresh and clean (we did not stay for breakfast, however). It appears that the managemenht is attempting to upgrade parts of the property. Our room had a flat screen TV, freshly painted walls, and a very clean "upgraded" bathroom, There was an indoor salt water swimming pool, outside bar-b-ques which we did not use, so cannot make comments on those ammenities. However, until their upgrading is completed, I cannot recommend this as a pleasant hotel experience.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Saint John, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

Had Sunday breakfast buffet in Sept 10 at reasturant and the buffet was low on food and the kitchen staff was unorganized but the young waitress made up for it with her hard work and nice smile as she tried to get things organized and take car of a lot of customers

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Colonial Inn? Share your experiences!