“Overpriced Mess and Worthless Management” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Colonial Inn

You added Colonial Inn to your Saves list
Colonial Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   175 City Road | P.O. Box 2149, Saint John, New Brunswick E2L 3T5, Canada   |
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Saint John
Guelph, Canada
“Overpriced Mess and Worthless Management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

Yes it wasn't an updated room we were checked into, but it was last minute and I just wanted a place to rest for the night. The room we got was huge and pretty clean so I was happy about that. Had a good meal even though it was late in the evening, was nice the restaurant was open so late. Headed for bed. Just about to climb into bed and realized the sheets were soaking wet!! Obvious leak in the roof had made the mattress into a water bed. Not impressed. I tried to use the phone to call the front desk but it wasn't working so I had to get out my cell phone and call. When I spoke to reception I explained the scenario and the lady said "oh, I believe you" as I asked her if she would like to see the mess in our room. We were already ready for bed so someone brought us a key to get into the other room. Half the hotel is actually updated.. but poorly. The next room was badly updated, half the size, the TV remote had no batteries and there wasn't a shower curtain. Are you kidding me? We were exhausted so went to sleep. At 7:00 we were checking out, very upset. I wanted to speak to management about all the trouble and believe we deserved a partial reimbursement for this overpriced mess, the attendant at the desk said "management doesn't come in until 9:00, there is nothing I can do". I left in shock! DON'T STAY HERE!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
nova scotia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

The title says it all. We were looking for a place to stay and having no luck. The trip was a last minute impulse. The rooms were terrible. Damp, old, sheets had holes. My skin crawled all night and needless to say we didn't stay for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

We stayed here on a trip to Cape Breton Island. The first room was used and not clean. The second non smoking room had been used by smokers and an attempt had been made to cover the smell with spray. It was impossible to breathe in said room so we asked for a third. This room was just OK. Aged and worn bed linen and rugs. Unable to open window and the room was stuffy. The bathroom was clean and the shower was full stream. We were so dissatisfied with the rooms that the next morning we searched for a restaurant outside of the Inn--fearing that the food would be as poor as the room. We paid $100 for this experience.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011 via mobile

We booked this hotel through expedia for a quick overnight stop on our road trip. This place was horrid. We asked for a non-smoking room but our room stank of cigarette smoke. The room was filthy, the bathroom looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years.

Besides the flat screen tv, nothing in the hotel has been updated since the 70's.

This hotel is better suited for crack heads then travelers. It is not worth spending even 20$a night. And at 80$, I feel ripped off. The salt-water pool doesn't even make it worth while.

Save your money! Do not go here.

• Stayed August 2011
Revelstoke, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

This was the grossest place I have ever stayed. My 13 year old commented that it looked like a place people rent to have sex. I could go on and on, but I would would sleep on a park bench before I stayed here again. We were up all night with partying and woke up to our motorcycle and the vehicle beside us vomitted on............

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
new brunswick
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

This is one of the worst hotels in saint john,filithy stinky hole!!!!!Very outdated,creepy,etc.In horrible area!!!!They have a new website lol dont be fooled!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Grand Manan, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

checked into the hotel after our ferry was out of service for almost 2 days. chose this hotel because it had discounted rates for grand manan residents, and because it had a pool for us to occupy our time. the first room we were booked into was absolutely filthy, so we asked to be moved to another room with a larger bed.....they accomodated us and we moved into another filthy room, but after watching out the window at 2 different men dumpster diving beside our vehicle, that was enough....my spouse went to the front desk to ask for our money back. they said they would have to ask the manager, who did not arrive to deal with our complaint, but rather just told the front desk clerk over the phone "no" we could not have our money returned. we left anyway, 75.00 less in our pocket. they had made a very difficult time for us even more difficult and more of a financial burden. this used to be "the" hotel for many grand manan island residents.....it was a home away from home.....but it seems to be the opinion of a lot of us now, that with the new owners, the standards are just not there anymore.!!!!!!! i will never return, and to anyone who is thinking of booking a room there, dont waste your time......go somewhere else!!!! manager should have dealt with the problem personally, felt bad for the front desk clerks who were very friendly....they were just doing what they were told. BAD BUSINESS CHOICE BY THE MANAGER!!!!!!! we may have lost 75.00 but your buisness will loose much more....word of mouth says a lot.

Room Tip: go to the country inn...