“GOOD STAY - IMPROVEMENTS NEEDED” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Delta Brunswick

You added Delta Brunswick to your Saves list
Delta Brunswick
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   39 King Street, Saint John, New Brunswick E2L 4W3, Canada   |
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Saint John
Porto, Portugal
“GOOD STAY - IMPROVEMENTS NEEDED”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

This is the second time I come to Saint John, and the first time I stayed in this hotel. Really have mixed feelings about this, and classify this hotel as “GOOD” for a few reasons mentioned below.

Getting straight to the points:

POSITIVE POINTS:
The price for the hotel is fair… and management realizes that this is not a true 4 star hotel (as classified officially) and therefore keeps the price reasonable.

By far the best asset of this hotel is the staff. Cannot fault any of the staff I encountered, in any part of the hotel. I will return to this hotel… just because they made me feel like a “friend”, and not a “customer”. I was given excellent suggestions on where to eat, drink and go.

I must say that the size of the rooms are good, and the cleaning staff do an excellent job of keeping the rooms nicely clean, despite the terrible carpeting this hotel has. Bed is comfortable. Bathroom is also a good size, spotlessly clean and everything worked well during my stay in my room.

The hotel is very well situated, stuck to the side of a shopping mall – for those who like it. Also walking distance from various restaurants and bars.

The gym is a reasonable size for this type of hotel, and gives a decent workout. Yes, it is not an official gym, it is a hotel gym… but good enough to get my exercises done.

Internet is free, and worked well on the 4 days I spent in the hotel. Relatively fast, and without glitches.

NEGATIVE POINTS:
Here it is… the reasons why I did not give this place a 5 star rating.

Despite the positive points mentioned above, this hotel is in desperate need of a good remodeling. I understand wanting to keep this “old sailor look” in the hotel, but please revamp the hotel. Rooms are comfortable, but could do with a nicer feel inside.

The carpets are pitiful and dire. PLEASE throw them away, and modernize.

Worst of all, however… in the room I must say that the aircon system is about 30 years old. I do not remember seeing this type of system for ages. A big block of metal stuck to the wall… manually operated, and it was so noisy that I needed to turn it off at night, in order to have some peace and quiet in the room to sleep. COLD OUTSIDE... so morning was really cold in the room.

Breakfast variety is small and really basic… over-priced, in my opinion.

SUMMING UP:
This hotel is worth staying in… due to TWO reasons: location, and especially the staff. I will come back… hoping that I will find a nicer and more modern Delta.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
BRU-FOM, Front Office Manager at Delta Brunswick, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Trave1Bandit,

Thank you for your detailed review of your visit with us. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the genuine hospitality of our staff and our location. We are pleased to inform you that we are in the final design stages of our new look. We look forward to presenting a refreshed product in late 2014/2015. We look forward to having you with us again soon.

stephen.wilson@deltahotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I spent 10 nights at the Delta Brunswick in March. It is attached to Brunswick Square Mall and via pedway, you can walk indoors to the city market, Harbour Station arena and other downtown buildings My room was quiet and the bed very comfortable. My view, unfortunately, wasn't of the harbour, but of the Delta roof. Ask for a room with a view of the harbour. We were treated very well by Kat at the Resto & Bar, who looked after us after a long day of work. The gym is poolside on a floor with windows and natural light and not in a dark basement as most hotel gyms are. The wireless worked well.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the harbour.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
BRU-FOM, Front Office Manager at Delta Brunswick, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Dee S,

Thank you for your reviewing your stay with us. It was a pleasure to have you enjoy our convenient location, amenities as well as MIX RestoBar. I apologize that a King Street view room may not have been available while with us. They are quite popular. We look forward to having you with us again on your next visit to Saint John.

Quispamsis, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I had to stay at the Delta because I was storm stayed at work. I was not impressed by this hotel at all. We had a group of 27 rooms booked for employees and overall the stay left a lot to e desired. My room was very dated and had a very musty smell, I was for the longest time unable to find my thermostat for the heater but after crawling around on the floor I found it located on the front of the heater which was behind the desk. My bed was incredibly lumpy, unbeliveable so in fact. We had to eat in the hotel restaurant, we entered the restuarant at 7:00 and didn't receive our food until after 8pm. Food quality was poor and portion was very small. Had to wait a very long time for our food, unable to track down our waitress for refills for our beverages and again a very long wait for our bill. Upon check out we were then advised that there was a $1.00 charge for all local calls. Not impressed with this facility at all.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
BRU-FOM, Front Office Manager at Delta Brunswick, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Amanda R,

Thank you for providing feedback about your stay. We are thrilled to share that we are in the process of replacing all the heat/cool units with newer ones that have thermostats on the wall as well as finalizing design plans for upcoming renovations in 2014/2015.

Thank you for your feedback about your experience at MIX. due to the storm which brought you to our hotel, we were unfortunately understaffed and very busy being one of the few restaurants remaining open. I would encourage you to contact the hotel directly to speak with the MIX RestoBar Manager so that we may have an opportunity to make up for this experience in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback; we look forward to serving you and your company again in the future.

Sussex, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Following my surgery on January 30, 2014, I was given the opportunity to stay at the Delta Brunswick through your Oasis program. It was a great experience, and the hospitality was above and beyond anything I expected. My room was exquisite, spacious, meticulously clean, quiet, and the king size bed gave me the space I so needed for comfort. The food and fruit trays provided were the icing on the cake. My room attendant never tired of checking in to see to our needs. Delta Brunswick can be very proud of their hotel staff from valet service to housekeeping, a Five Star Hotel indeed!
Respectfully,
Carlene Baxter

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Ms. Baxter,

It was our pleasure to have you with us. We are so glad that you enjoyed our attention to service. We were thrilled to ensure that you were well taken care of. Thank you for sharing your experience; our thoughts are with you.

Moncton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Waitress was fantastic at the Resto & Bar... however the food was ok.
Bread brought to the table was warm but by microwave so it was dry.
My meal was ok... left with tummy ache and not from eating too much.
A co-worker stayed at hotel one night and she couldn't believe how dated and old the room was.
For a high end hotel with prices to match it definitely isn't worth the money.
Check out the Hilton instead.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
BRU-FOM, Front Office Manager at Delta Brunswick, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Maritimer Girl C,

Thank you for sharing your experience while dining at MIX RestoBar. Our Restaurant Manager would be more than happy to discuss your experience further and to have you back for another dining experience. We are thrilled to share that the new design plans for the hotel are in the final stages and look forward to continued renovations in the near future. We look forward to hearing from you.

Delta Brunswick
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

The Delta Brunswick was dingy. The rooms, the hallways, the lobby, the common areas,... It would have been moderately classy and fairly nice in the early eighties. It's no longer the early eighties. It seemed clear to me that the staff were doing with it what they could, but it's just plain dated and significantly worn and almost a little smelly.

That all said, the staff was great. They absolutely seemed to make the most out of what they've got to work with, Check-in, the follow-up call to make sure everything was okay, and checkout - all great, The parking lot attendant - great. A colleague and I had dinner in the restaurant - the food was actually good and real, and the service was absolutely top notch. It was clear that this waitress was not going to serve us anything that she didn't think was good. On asking, she actually steered us well away from a couple of items and to a couple of others, and her recommendations were dead-on. It was a far better meal than I expected in this environment, and it was because the server made sure of it. She had been in the business for a while and was friendly and engaging too: what more could you ask for?

Despite the drab condition, I might just return because of how good the service is. Dollar for dollar though, the Hilton is quite a bit nicer.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view. Mine looked into the parking garage...
Dear WmFerguson,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are so glad that you had an outstanding experience at MIX RestoBar. We will be sure to try and identify the server and thank them on your behalf. We are equally as thrilled that our staff helped fill the gap in your experience between service and quality of product. We are thrilled to share that we are finalizing plans to continue renovations in late 2014 and beyond. MIX RestoBar is just the beginning of great improvements to come. We look forward to having you back in the future to enjoy a refreshed and modern hotel.

Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

I was disappointed by this hotel. I always thought this hotel had a high-end reputation, but that is certainly no longer the case. The room was very dated and had a bad smell. The shower still had hair in it. The TV didn't work well at all, was a constant battle with the remote to get it to work. The bathroom sink made a huge mess every time you turned it on. On the other hand, the hotel location and service staff were great. I would stay here again if it was just for a place to sleep, but it wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my list. It may have been a 5 star hotel when it opened years ago, but it's time for a renovation!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
BRU-FOM, Front Office Manager at Delta Brunswick, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Prince Andrew,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent visit with us. We are so glad that you enjoyed our staff. We are excited to be in the midst of finalizing plans for the next phase of our renovations. We look forward to presenting a fresh product in the years to come. I would encourage you to contact the hotel so that we may make arrangements to provide you a much better experience your next trip to Saint John.

Yours in Hospitality,

stephen.wilson@deltahotels.com

Been to Delta Brunswick? Share your experiences!