“Smoked or Saucy--it's all good at the Barnyard!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse, Bar, Brew Pub
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Ontario, Canada
“Smoked or Saucy--it's all good at the Barnyard!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Upon arriving in Moncton, NB for our holiday, we decided to hit Barnyard BBQ for dinner, because really, when in the Maritimes, bbq is *always* what one seeks out to eat, right? That's another story... Anyhow, back to the Barnyard! I grew up where smoked & bbq meat was an art form--looooove smokey, rich meats (brisket especially) but am not a sauce-eater, so we often stay away from actual bbq restaurants as I usually can't order anything that hasn't been sauced up. After looking at Barnyard BBQ's menu online, we decided to take a chance.

The first thing that hit me when we opened the door was the smell of smoke--lovely, yummy-smelling wood smoke. Headed in & were greeted with a smile & a cheerful invitation to sit wherever we would like. Our server was at the table right away with menus & back again shortly to take our orders. The menu had lots of options from ribs to chicken & much more, but I knew what I wanted; Beef Brisket Blue Plate, please, with *no* sauce. Our server didn't blink an eye at the special request, just repeated it to verify. Hubby had the same, except with their Original Barnyard BBQ Sauce, daughter ordered the Carolina Pork Pickins' Sandwich.

Our dinners arrived in a reasonable time & with much food on each plate (more like platters than plates--big!). Our daughter's pulled pork sandwich had so much meat piled on it--more meat than both buns combined thickness--with enough sauce to be saucy without dripping all over the place. Hubby's brisket had the original sauce, as ordered, & mine was un-sauced--win! The brisket was fall-apart tender & moist (even without sauce), good bark, & oh-so-smokey. I haven't had smoked meat that good since moving to Canada (well, not that I haven't made myself). Hubby enjoyed his too, tho he did find the original sauce too mild for his taste. Kiddo's pulled pork was also very good, rich & flavourful.

We'll be back in Moncton later during our trip...very likely will be back at Barnyard BBQ then too!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

72% Recommend
Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
“Good food Great place to Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I am a regular now ! For it's great food, A visit of it's micro brewery is must for anyone visitig Moncton ...

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Good BBQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

BBQ and beer was great. They even accommodated my son's request of no BBQ sauce on his ribs. Homemade root beer was great! I will go back when I am in town again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lower Coverdale
“Not worth the time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Stopped in on a Saturday night for supper. My family of 5 were crowded into a table for 4. I ordered beef brisket and was told it was sold out. A BBQ restaurant at 6:30 on a Saturday that did not have what I would consider a stapel was disapointing. It was very noisy. The entrance is not large enough for a family to stand in. The parking lot is behind the restaurant/brewery, I won't be headed back anytime soon.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
“Darn good BBQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Almost as good as the BBQ we had when visiting Texas this year. WAY better than anything in Halifax.

Kid friendly atmosphere too, with a good kids menu.

Visited July 2013