“Frequent lunch customer” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #154 of 228 Restaurants in Moncton
Cuisines: Continental, Canadian, Asian fusion
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Proud to have been recommended in "Where to Eat in Canada" for 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013.
Riverview, Canada
“Frequent lunch customer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

If you are tired of the same old lunch choice around the .Moncton area, then you need a visit to the Bistro.

I am a huge fan of their executive salad and fish cakes, but have never had a bad meal, thanks to Wayne.

It is an unique spot that if you make the effort to find, you'll be glad you did.

Wayne's artwork is on the walls, painted on the tables and he is an excellent chef.

It is a great lunch spot!

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Like A Homecoming in a Quirky Locale”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

I have eaten in boats, at the top of high rise buildings, in converted churches and factories and even in a Japanese wasabi garden and have enjoyed unexpected culinary pleasures when they were least expected. Chef's Bistro proved to be yet another surprising discovery.

The location of this restaurant is, let's face it, bizarre to say the least. We discovered Chef's Bistro thanks to Trip Advisor and on our first foray looking for it I began to have second thoughts. It is in the outskirts of Moncton in the basement of a large office complex in Industrial Purgatory. During the day the parking lot must be full of office workers' vehicles, but after dark, the surrounding area feels like a stark unwelcoming wasteland.

We eventually found the restaurant after passing it by (the sign is small and unlighted on a tower of more flashy business addresses) in the darkness of an early New Brunswick winter evening but located it on the second pass. You definitely need a vehicle to reach the place. The nondescript front door was to one side of the building, with a small sign. I ventured in expecting little and headed down the stairs to enquire about the hours of opening...it seemed impossible that the place could be open after office hours in this now deserted location. A very friendly woman at the door assured me that they were indeed open on this Friday night and that specials of salmon and ribs were on the menu. She also advised us that it was BYO which was important as the nearest wine store was a good 10 minute drive away.

Relieved that the restaurant would be open for the evening, we went back to complete some chores in town and reappeared, appetites whetted, at the restaurant by 7 p.m.

Chef's Bistro inhabits a characterless, windowless rectangular basement room which the owners have magically transformed with their own artwork and decorations into a cozy, imaginative dining room with open kitchen and intimate private dining room where a driftwood chandelier was the centrepiece. Somehow all the art pieces work together to create an warm and welcoming atmosphere. There is room for 40 or so diners and when we arrived there were 4 or 5 other occupied tables.

Joan, our hostess, greeted us like long-lost family and quickly filled us in on the details of the menu. We were full of questions about the restaurant, it's odd location and the nature of her commitment to the restaurant business. We could see a middle aged man in the open kitchen who turned out to be Joan's husband Wayne, working steadily on food preparations. The odours emanating from his efforts were wonderful.

The owner-operators worked steadily but the service did not seem strained and Joan had plenty of time to fill us in on the details of the menu and their commitment to the food. She also gave my partner and I a large table and tried to steer another arriving foursome away from the table next to us to give us more privacy. There was a $6 corkage fee for the wine and although I would normally balk at this charge, I could see where such a fee was a fair compromise between having high cost wine or not allowing alcohol at all in this unusual venue.

In the end we ordered starter salads and the salmon and rib specials along with a chocolate marshmallow dessert and a custard bread pudding. The food was better than one would have expected from such a location and small staff. The beet and goat cheese salad was appetizer size and very tasty. My Caprese salad was not complicated but had some interesting cheese additions and was served in a festive martini glass. Serving plates were warmed when required. All nice touches. The ribs were exquisite...they melted off the bone and were tasty and beautifully marinated. This takes time and effort. The salmon was cooked perfectly and although the crab topping contributed less than what I had hoped, the entire meal was completely satisfactory. The timing between courses could not have been better. We probably shouldn't have had the dessert as they were just a little too rich after a generous main course. Nonetheless we enjoyed them thoroughly and cleaned both plates.

Subdued jazz playing on the sound system was the ideal accompaniment to the meal.

My understanding is that the restaurant prepares lunches during office hours and opens for dinner on Friday nights. Joan told us they were planning to begin a Sunday Brunch offering as well. I would suggest you phone ahead to make sure of hours and BYO status.

All-in-all, we had a very enjoyable meal, were made to feel completely at home and the prices were reasonable and entirely fair. Three courses for two was less than $80 before tip. I will definitely return and would suggest this somewhat quirky locale for anyone with the means of transportation to get there. It would be ideal for a special dinner for two and I would have felt wonderfully included had I been on a business trip and spending the evening alone in a strange city. Joan hugged us on our departure, which for me, a somewhat jaded restaurant goer, was utterly charming and made me feel like I had come home again.

Visited January 2014
Riverview, Canada
“Chef's Bistro "the best for Sunday brunch" !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

My wife and I decided to try the Sunday brunch at the Chef's Bistro and it was fabulous. We had Eggs Benedict served with baked ham and spinach salad and a variety of hot homemade breads and cinnamon biscuits with an apple preserve on the side. Super delicious meal with an ambiance and service second to none. We highly recommend this little hidden gem and plan to return as soon as we can. Definitely deserves a 5 star rating.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Vancouver, BC
“Very hidden gem!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Located in the basement of an office building in an industrial park it was only because of TripAdvisor we knew about this place. As a self trained cook I was curious to try a restaurant where one takes that passion and opens a business in a tough industry.

Food was very good and menu coupled with daily specials offered nice variety. Service was friendly and timely making it a good spot for a business lunch. As it is quite small, if full I suspect it could get noisy.

Is non licensed but corkage is very reasonable at $5 if you bring your own wine for dinner service.

Glad we tried it and will definitely return when next in town.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Its the best! The Chefs Bistro!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

The Chefs Bistro is an absolute gem. The owners, Wayne and Joan always have a warm greeting for their clients. They are both creative in their venue choices and the menu and food quality is second to none. I live in Toronto and have been able to enjoy the restaurant scene for many years. I must say, when I am able to spend time in Caissie Cape at my summer home, I make a point of visiting the Chefs Bistro often.. The ambiance is lovely....warm and inviting. The food is creative and delicious....at a very reasonable cost. I have had the pleasure of taking clients and friends to the Chefs Bistro. i have heard nothing but raving reports. Try the Chefs Bistro. No doubt in my mind......you will return. Pat

• Visited January 2013