“An institution” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Steinbach, Canada
“An institution”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

A famous place in Winnipeg (open seasonally) with quite a few fans and often ranked with the best burger joints in Canada, so we decided to try it. These are not gourmet burgers like at Unburger, which I prefer, but sloppy (and fairly tasty) casual burgers. This place is about quantity rather than quality. I have mixed feelings about the chilli burger, which is a burger in a cup smothered in chilli. In a way, it's great. It has a lot of flavour, but it was also very salty (and I said before, sloppy). This is definitely a dive/drive-in and you get about what you'd expect, although the prices were quite expensive for what it is. Overall, I'd probably come again, but not that often.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

CalgaryAB
“Really Good Burgers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

The burgers were really good and the nice lady taking the orders was patient and helpful when I asked about allergy concerns. Next time I am in Winnipeg I will make a point of going back to Mrs. Mikes and having another burger. Thank you for a tasty meal!

Visited August 2013
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Tasty Fatboys”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

we tried the king burger and the chilli burger. The salad could have been fresher, but it was still delicious. The chilli was tasty and very very runny.

Visited May 2013
Spruce Grove, Canada
“The King Burger. You must travel to this place for this!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I worked a block away from this burger institution in 1976 and have been a loyal fan ever since. While I moved away in 1977, ever time I'm back in Winnipeg I travel over to Mike's for my King Burger. The service is fast, correct and consistent. You always get your meal in order with the line in front of you. And nothing written down!
Let me first warn you about how to eat a King Burger. No walking or sitting in a car is recommended. This is a serious task and not to be taken lightly. Get a seat on one of the picnic tables and carefully open up the foil wrap around this monster burger. The shredded lettuce, large slice of tomatoe and pickle are always fresh and large. The special chili compliments the two massive home made patties perfectly. This burger drips, no matter how hard you try and keep it neat. So get extra napkins and bring your own wet wipes, since your hands and face will get stained with all of that great mixture of mayo and chili. If you have a friend to share, indulge in the fries and chili as a side, but really, one King Burger will finish off any hungry appetite.
This place is a comfort place. People and regulars are happy to be there and I never here of complaints or a correction needed on the order. It is simple, fast and very tasty food. I'm smiling at all the comments on the menu prices being high. Really people, this place is low priced considering the quality of ingrediants, that famous chili, and hard working staffl/owner. I think I paid $5.50 for a King Burger in 1976. The price has not climbed all that much. I will be back!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Winnipeg
“Seasonal Burger Stop.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Mrs Mikes is a well known institution in Winnipeg. It has been listed as one of the best burger joints in Canada. It has a dedicated following in this city. It is open spring to fall, as it has no indoor seating and has a walk up window. There are several picnic tables at the side, or else you just take the food with you.
While the burgers are good, i can't say they are great. I also cant say they are Winnipegs finest, or best value. We will probably go back at some time, BUT all 3 visits we made were somewhat hohum. Also the fries were just lukewarm, not hot and really fresh. The prices are a bit steep, and obviously people will pay, but it reduces the value in our opinions.

• Visited May 2013