“Authentically French!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chez Sophie Bistro & Pizzeria

Chez Sophie Bistro & Pizzeria
248, avenue de la Cathedrale, Winnipeg, Manitoba R2H0H8, Canada (Central St. Boniface)
204-235-0353
Neighborhood: Central St. Boniface
Winnipeg
“Authentically French!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I've picked up from Chez Sophie before and so was aware of it's size and limitations. I have to say that people that go to a tiny (probably two dozen chairs across 6-7 tables) converted house and complain about the variety of items and all the other bulls&^t should go to a chain. This is the kind of restaurants that are so wonderful in France - it's like going to a friend's house.

The also have AUTHENTIC Provencal dishes. I don't believe anyone else in town even makes tarte flambee which is what I had done as pick up until now.

We had six people in our party and had a great evening with a superb meal...just too much and TOO rich! Service was just the right speed for a leisurely dinner. I am getting really aggravated over diners that complain the service was slow. What is slow? If I go for dinner and the bill comes to roughly $100 per person I EXPECT to be able to the spend the evening and not be rushed like those places who measure their success based on every chair having a new bottom in it every hour and a half...and they still charge that kind of money.

Ya want speed...go to a drive through.

You want to have great French fare that leaves you more than satisfied with no room for dessert and a doggie bag for the next door, Check it out!

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Winnipeg, Canada
“Amazing place to eat, hard place to park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I just came back from lunch at the Bistro.

I had the spinach salad with brie cheese which was Fantastic, the serving was so big I couldn't finish it, then again I am not a big eater.

My friend had the leek and potatoes soup, she loved it. And my brother had the Cesar salad with chicken breast and he finished the whole thing.
I loved the scenery and surroundings. Hostess was amazingly friendly and her smile made food taste better. :)

Thank you for a beautiful lunch.

A nice, quiet place. A break from everyday busy life.. For sure will go back.

Maha

• Visited October 2013
Ghent, Belgium
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

During our stay in Winnipeg, we went twice to "Chez Sophie". It was an outstanding experience.
excellent value for money. The location is great on the bridge "Esplanade Riel". The decor is
beautiful. They offer excellent meals typically from France. The service is perfect, very friendly in
both languages. We really loved it. Don't miss this experience when you are in Winnipeg.

• Visited September 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Great place for lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

What a delightful place for lunch! We walked out on the bridge and found this light & airy restaurant. We had a nice glass of French Chardonnay along with a very good Ham & Cheese Crepe. My husband had the Sausage Pasta and it was delicious. It was crowded at lunch time and we did not have a reservation; however, they found us a booth that was nice even though we did not get the view we had hoped for. Service was attentive. It made for a great lunch as we strolled the French Quarter.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Exceptional Little French Canadian Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Expencive and worth it. There are few menu items that are below $20. The service is the best among the many restaurants of Winnipeg. Amazing Moules et frites, akin to the bistros of Normandy. A perfectly intimate dining experience, but not for the light of wallet.

• Visited August 2013