We originally booked the Japan room, but upon our arrival were told that there was a problem with that room, so they asked if it was ok to move us into the Rome room. Since we hadn't stayed in either room before, the change was fine with us!
Upon booking our room, we had told them that we would be arriving at 4pm. We ended up being late... we got there at 4:30... after a short wait we were escorted to our room.
The Rome room was beautiful... it was lit with candles and had music playing when we arrived. Everything was in good condition also. The TV was HUGE, and was on wheels so it would be moved wherever you wanted it (ie. depending if you wanted to watch TV from the hot tub, bed, or table and chairs)
The hot tub is really deep, so it's great for a nice soak... plus, they provided bubblebath, so that made it even more decadent!
We paid $10 extra for access to their CD and DVD library... they had a nice selection... I think most people would be able to find something they liked there!
The staff were all very nice.
1) re: noise
They only had single pane windows in our room, so it was VERY noisy. One of the windows in the room opened by sliding it upwards... even when closed though, there remained a gap between the upper and lower window, so that gap let in a lot of outside noise (it was equivalent to having your window ajar all night long). The main reason this was an issue was that there were a couple of bars just down the street that kept their music going quite late, buses going by, people revving their cars down the street during the bar hours, plus a fire hall just down the street (loud sirens every 2-3 hours or so all night long). We expected it to be a bit noisy due to the Exchange District location... but we also expected it to have modern double or triple pane windows which would have been a HUGE help to keep the noise to a minimum.
2) re: couples massage
We requested the couples massage. Having this in the room was really nice. As per the hotel's recommendation we soaked in the hot tub both before and after our massages... very relaxing! But the downside was that my masseuse was a smoker. I noticed the faint smell of cigarettes when he walked into the room. Then for the last part of the massage where you are on you back, I could smell the faint smell of cigarettes on his breath. I've never ever been able to smell my masseuse's breath, so this was unexpected. So, if you order the couple's massage, I recommend you request a non-smoking masseuse!
3) re: dinner
We ordered the Italian Dinner for Two, which is listed at $75 per person.
We had the caesar salad, fettuccini with alfredo sauce and bacon, Breast of chicken sliced with mushrooms in a white wine sauce. This also came with 2 large breadsticks each (fabulous bread sticks!... very fresh!), as well as steamed vegies.
The salad had been sitting for a while... you could tell because it was a bit soggy... but it was still tasty. Same with the fettuccini... it was flavourful, but the noodles were very soft, and I think they had absorbed all of the sauce by the time we received it. As for the chicken, I was very disappointed by the quantity. We each had 3 small pieces of meat which at best were the equivalent of maybe 1/2 a chicken breast each. We're never fussy about quantities, but this tiny portion of meat was such a surprise that expecially given the price of the meal, I felt it deserved to be mentioned! The sauce on the meat was very nice, and they gave a generous portion of mushrooms.
So, if I were to do this again, rather than spend $150 in total for a meal that quality-wise was only worthy of a $25 price tag, I would go out to a restaurant next time. Hy's steakhouse is very close to the Mariaggi, and for $150 you would eat like a king and queen there!
Would I go again? No... only because of the noise. We had a very nice evening there overall, but when it came time to sleep, it ended up being a very restless night. If it weren't for the excessive noise, I'd plan on another trip for sure... but it really was just too much for me! If they ever upgrade their windows to modern standards, that will help a lot with the noise, and THEN, I will go back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel and Spa offers our guests a wide range of Romantic getaway suites, scrumptious diners and wonderfull relaxing massage from licensed massage therapists. Our attention to detail in room design far surpasses the standard hotel of the day. Plan your great escape today and Getaway Without Going Away!!!All romantic theme suites have:*Large whirlpool tub.*Steam/shower room with speakers inside the steam room.*50" TV, DVD, 200 Watt Stereo System.*Fireplace.*Romantic Dining for Two.*Small Refridgerator and Microwave.India and Caribbean also have:*Waterfall hot tubs.*Pool Table.China also has:*Infa Red Sauna.*Vichi Tornado Shower.*Multi-jet Hot Tub.Our 3000 sq.ft. Jakarta Tropical Penthouse has:All the above plus...*Baby Grand Piano.*Bar Area.*Dining Area. *Darts and Pool Table. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Mariaggi's Theme Suites Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mariaggi`s Theme Hotel Winnipeg
- Mariaggis Theme Hotel
- Mariaggi's Theme Suites Hotel Winnipeg, Manitoba