My wife and I were given a nights stay at the hotel for a honeymoon gift. It was a nice thought and the reviews were positive so were looking forward to it. We set it up for a night where we would take in a show at the nearby Centential concert hall. Dinner was included and we received a phone call in advance requesting us pick what we would like. The gentleman on the phone inquired what time we would like dinner so we instructed him at 6, since we wanted to leave for the show no later than 7:15 or so. He said that was fine, dinner would be served around 6 give or take 15 minutes.
Upon arrival the staff was friendly enough but maybe a bit too casual for what is advertised as a romantic upscale type hotel. A woman showed us to our room and talked a bit about the history of the property. She welcomed us to Rome as she showed us the room. She went over all the many switches and knobs to operate everything. She informed us dinner would be served between 6 and 7. Thought ok, thats a bit later than we were told on the phone but still doable.
The room was something out of an 80's adult film. Plastic grapes hanging from the ceiling. Green tub and shower. Gold surround. It was clean by all means but hadn't been updated in 20+ years at least. The "Rome" theme was super tacky. Apparently romantic means poorly lit. The room just made us feel uncomfortable. So we waited and and watched our basic cable til dinner arrived. (The TV stand was one of those Wal-mart ones. Super cheap and didn't fit in with the rest of the room at all). Well we waited and waited and dinner never arrived. Shortly before 7 we went out to check on it since we had the show to catch. The place was deserted. No one at the front desk.
Shortly after 7 we decided to cut our losses and grab a bite to eat somewhere before the show. Upon our return the gentleman at the front desk saw us coming in and said that he left our dinner in our room cause he kncked shortly after 7 and no one was there. He said dinner is always served between 7 and 730. If dinner is always served between 7 and 730 why did the two other staff members tell us two different times?
We tried enjoying the room a bit considering the cost but just couldn't. The tub was probably really nice when it was purchased 25 years ago but it showed its age. The night was compeltely restless. You could hear the music from the square a few blocks away until midnight. Hear drunk people yelling and screaming til 3 am as if the window was wide open. When a bus passed on the street the room shook a little.
We got up around 8 and wanted to check out but again there was no one there. We returned later to check out.
I can honestly say I have no idea how this hotel has such postiive reviews. And I'm not one to really nitpick but the experience was the opposite of relaxing or romantic. I feel bad cause it seems like the management tries really hard to make it nice but they just fail in all regards.
In short if you're spending this kind of money on a hotel just stay in a traditional upscale hotel. Your experience would be a thousand times better. If your idea of romantic is out of a cheesy adult movie, maybe this will float your boat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel and Spa offers our guests a wide range of Romantic getaway suites, scrumptious diners and wonderfull relaxing massage from licensed massage therapists. Our attention to detail in room design far surpasses the standard hotel of the day. Plan your great escape today and Getaway Without Going Away!!!All romantic theme suites have:*Large whirlpool tub.*Steam/shower room with speakers inside the steam room.*50" TV, DVD, 200 Watt Stereo System.*Fireplace.*Romantic Dining for Two.*Small Refridgerator and Microwave.India and Caribbean also have:*Waterfall hot tubs.*Pool Table.China also has:*Infa Red Sauna.*Vichi Tornado Shower.*Multi-jet Hot Tub.Our 3000 sq.ft. Jakarta Tropical Penthouse has:All the above plus...*Baby Grand Piano.*Bar Area.*Dining Area. *Darts and Pool Table. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Mariaggi's Theme Suites Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mariaggi`s Theme Hotel Winnipeg
- Mariaggis Theme Hotel
- Mariaggi's Theme Suites Hotel Winnipeg, Manitoba